Finger - either numb or pins/needles

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Zanda

Re: Finger - either numb or pins/needles

Post by Zanda »

I also had pins and needles and numbness when riding for more than half and hour. The problem completely went away when I swapped the flat handlebar for a different type of bar.

First I changed to a North Road bar and then to a drop bar. The advantage of the drops is the choice of hand positions and the ability to change position while riding.

The North Road bars I chose were slightly too wide for me so they're now surplus to my requirements and I'm selling them here. If you're switching to a North Road bar, you may need a longer stem in order to maintain a similar riding posture, due to the back sweep.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have only ever used straight bars on a kids bike and cant understand why they are so prevalent what with only one hand position and thus body posture. I dont think I could ride bike very far with them without wrists or hands suffering
half cog

Post by half cog »

Long time back I used to get pins and needles in my hands at night after a mtb ride.physio told me I was bruising the ulner nerve where it passed through the elbow.The worry is that it will only go on for so long and then the nerve has had enough and shuts down. I was presented with the possibility of loosing the use of my hands.I packed in for a few months and then bought a suspension fork and been o.k. ever since. My point is dont leave this. get it sorted asap.If its road vibration on the ulner and you are on a quill stem then see if you can find a flexstem on e bay. You will get about an inch of travel and it will soak up the vibration without altering the bike much