Pedal won't thread on flush

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
garygkn

Pedal won't thread on flush

Post by garygkn »

I have spent about an hour trying to thread on a right pedal on to a right crank.
They are correctly matched.
I always thread pedals on by hand just using my fingers and have been lucky to have never had an issue.
I can get as far as the last couple of turns and then it is quite tight but looks slightly out.
I haven't forced the pedal on and I have used an allen key but when it felt tight I backed off.
Can the threads on the crank be tapped out?
I am going to try another matched pedal via a colleague before I do anything else.

Any feedback and advice will be most welcome and much appreciated.

Many thanks.
531colin

Re: Pedal won't thread on flush

Post by 531colin »

New crank?
New pedal?
I guess you have visually examined the threads.
Any bike shop will have a tap to "chase" ie. clean the crank threads.
You can even make one by filing a "V" notch lengthwise in the end threads of a pedal.

Will another pedal go in this crank, or this pedal fit another crank?
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

Hi Colin. I bought an mtb and it was dismantled for posting. It's an old Marin Pine Mountain. Rigid. Nice bike.
The pedals have never been off the bike until now.
I might just get the LBS to chase out the crank.
First I will try out the pedal in another crank in case it is the pedal but the pedal threads look okay to me and the crank is softer I would be inclined to think the issue is more likely to be with the crank threads?
meic

Post by meic »

Try putting a known good pedal in to the crank, from the wrong side, that way it should have good threads to get started with and clean out any damage already done.

I had something similar once and the problem was that actually I had a left pedal in a right crank and it had gone in easy enough anyway. :oops: :oops:
Yma o Hyd
Baritono

Post by Baritono »

+1 for trying a good right-hand* pedal in the 'wrong' side of the right-hand crank. (*yes, I know, right-foot, not right-hand..)

I'd say you're bang on doing it with fingers and eye, but if you have some way of checking earlier rather tha later that it's going in at exactly 90' to the crank axis - eg a set square or similar - to make sure it's not cross-threading and happily cutting itself a new thread, that may well help! I've doubted my own eyes before now.. and of course until we can see in three dimensions at once, we can never be sure that it's 90' from all sides! (it might look fine from one angle but skewed from another.) My bugbear is usually bottom brackets. Best of luck, it looks like you've considered most of this already..

Regards

Baritono
prm

Post by prm »

Might be worth checking the pedal shaft has a reasonable amount of thread relief/reduction where the flange abuts against the crank arm.

Regards
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

The pedal threads on square on a Mavic SSC crank.
I think it's got to be the threads on the crank.
I am hoping that this can be rectified at a bike shop?
531colin

Post by 531colin »

garygkn wrote:The pedal threads on square on a Mavic SSC crank.
I think it's got to be the threads on the crank.
I am hoping that this can be rectified at a bike shop?

Yes, they can "chase" the thread for you.
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

Thanks Colin.
HJRW

Post by HJRW »

Have you greased the thread ?
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

No. I cleaned both threads with WD40 and a tooth brush. I dried both threads and then I used some 3 in one to lubricate the threads as I was at work and didn't have any grease. However it threaded flush the night before without any lube on the Mavic chain set.

The pedal is short of total engagement by about 2 threads it gets tight at the end but it's out of line. It is at a slight angle. If you tighten further an edge will prevent further tightening.
HJRW

Post by HJRW »

OK - see what you mean. I had bother with an ungreased pedal in my ignorance, thought the thread was 'out', a stiff tighten getting worse till near the end I feared wrecking the thread. With grease it went in firmly but OK all the way. Maybe one for the LBS - good luck - you'll get there eventually ! - usually do.
KEEP CALM AND PEDAL ON -1999 Cresswell Fold-it, 1997 Pashley Tuberider, 1997 Raleigh Special Products Pro-Line M-Trax 300 MTB, 1982 Raleigh Royale, 1951 Robin Hood Sports, 1936 BSA Clubman, 1912 Swift Loop Frame, 2019 Boardman HYB 8.8
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

I will get some grease and give it another go but because the alignment at the end is slightly out it makes me think the threads are out on the crank.
I would love to be wrong. The grease may help I won't know until I try.
fixer

Post by fixer »

I think this is to do with different manufacturers' tolerances. Eg, I've got some modern Taiwan made pedals that are a very tight fit on 1980s Campagnolo cranks.

I think ideally, one would use a die to slightly reduce down the pedal threads rather than enlarging the crank threads.
garygkn

Post by garygkn »

I will try other pedals first.
But the left pedal fits perfectly and the right pedal fits perfectly in Mavic and now a Stronglight crank.
I think it may have suffered some minor damage when removed for packing as it seems to have lived happily for 13 years on the bike.