Do you live somewhere near OLD HARLOW?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
david grimshaw

Do you live somewhere near OLD HARLOW?

Post by david grimshaw »

Is there anyone around who lives somewhere around Old Harlow and knows of - presumably - closed bike shops?
I have just bought a vintage bike - a 1960 Maclean - privately in Old Harlow for restoration, which was sold to the previous owner in 1977 by:
Colin`s of Harlow Ltd.
Fore Street,
Old Harlow,
Essex
This was bought at the time with a collection of other interesting bikes which the buyer was told came from a collection/museum in East Anglia ( The Maclean would only have been 17 years old at point of sale, so I find this unlikely).

Looking at the receipt more closely, this firm look like a shop which sold cycles, mopeds, did MOT`s, for m/cycles etc and were electrical engineers.
I have `googled` the details with no result, so I guess the business is no more. I know the sale is correct as I have the original receipt.
Just trying to build up a history, so any information would be gratefully received. Difficult for me to research on the ground as I live near to Leicester!
Thanks,
David
Last edited by david grimshaw on 12 May 2010, 2:47pm, edited 2 times in total.
fatboy

Re: Do you live somewhere near OLD HARLOW?

Post by fatboy »

Not much use I'm afraid but I've worked near Old Harlow since 1988 and there has never been a bike shop there in that time. So you need someone with a longer memory!
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I'm an emigrant, myself, but you could try the Eastern Road Race League Forum at http://forum.errl.org.uk/index.php
Someone on there is bound to know.

Good luck!
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
E.C.Ryder

Post by E.C.Ryder »

Perhaps you could try the Harlow Museum they have a collection of old cycles, and if they can`t help then they may know someone who can.
plodder

Post by plodder »

If you type in Collins in google there is some history that comes up.
I used to live in Sawbridgeworth and can remember vaguely visiting Collins probably in the late seventies.
All I can remember was that it sold mopeds and bicycles.Very old fashioned shop guys in brown coats serving.
My father purchased a brooks swallow saddle there to finish off a Claud Butler in Accles and Pollock tubing.
Try this link.There seems to be a connection with the museum as mentioned above:

http://www.mun.ca/geog/interdisiplinary ... arlow2.php
david grimshaw

Post by david grimshaw »

Thanks for all of the info. I have e-mailed the Harlow museum and sent a photo of the bike and awaiting a reply.
Looking at the (poor) receipt it looks like the name is COLLINS with 2 L`s
Again, thanks.
I`ll report back if there is any news.
David