Aluminium frames - Paint

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
paulcuthbert

Aluminium frames - Paint

Post by paulcuthbert »

Hi,

How easy is it to get a respray or change the colour of an aluminium framed road bike? And roughly how much does it cost?
Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever
hamster

Re: Aluminium frames - Paint

Post by hamster »

I got my alu MTB frame powdercoated. Typically it's £30-60 depending on colour. Look in Yellow Pages or similar - there will be a choice.
If you go for black, white or similar colour then it can be very cheap. The coater will blast and prepare the frame as part of the process. Check beforehand if they have done bikes and understand about masking off threads etc. My powdercoater ran the frame though with a batch of gates. :D

Special colours can be costly, as the coater would have to buy a pack of powder (typically £70 or so).

I am very happy with the result. It has survived two winters worth of off-road riding without a single chip.
robc02

Re: Aluminium frames - Paint

Post by robc02 »

You might like to try this place:
http://www.powder-coatings.ltd.uk/

They do a wide range of colours as standard and charge £30, I think, for a frame and fork.
There is a price list on their website.
I have had several steel frames done by them and the results were fine.

I recently had my aluminium Kinesis Racelight Tk frame anodised. I had it chemically stripped, polished it myself and then took it to an anodisers in Walsall. A bit more of a faff than powder coating but, I hope, more durable. The anodisers charged £50 and offered a range of colours.