Old Triumph, identification required for selling...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Snakes

Old Triumph, identification required for selling...

Post by Snakes »

Hi All,

The picture below is of my Grandads old Triumph Bicycle, I think from what I've found so far that it's a 'Roadster'. Trouble is whilst I appreciate this lovely bicycle of his very much, I don't no a lot about it. So hopefully somebody somewhere out there maybe able to offer some more info... Once I have further info on this Bicycle it will be available for sale. I'll also be making enquiries with a few contacts I have at the Veteran Cycle Club, as clearly it'll be of interest to some of there members.

Triumph  02 (2).jpg

I do have a few more pictures for interested parties. What I can tell you is that it's not been used now for approx 4/5 years, and that it's always been kept in a shed in dry conditions. It was mainly used for short trips into town for shopping purposes. There's a small amount of surface rust, but I'd say with some TLC this bike will make someone out there very happy indeed, there's obviously a certain amount of sentimental value involved here too. Chris Juden's looked at the photos and concludes it's possibly late 40's to early 50's.

Thanks for reading, any info you may have will be gratefully recieved!!

Snakes
ikenbikeit

Re: Old Triumph, identification required for selling...

Post by ikenbikeit »

Look on the hub gear. Stamped on the hub is the month and year of manufacture of the hub and therefore the bike itself - - unless the hub gears were added afterwards!
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Bog standard Triumph-badged Raleigh All Steel Bicycle by the look of it. As you say, probably early/mid '50s. And that's about the value also!
Snakes

Post by Snakes »

Thanks for the comments peeps!

I have discovered that it's a Triumph badged Raleigh, so full marks on that one!! I'll check the hub, which to the best of my knowledge is original. When it was in use Grandad was pretty good at maintaining it, and anything he couldn't do he'd take it straight to the dealer.

I've started to think that if I can make some space in the shed, it's likely it'll stay with me. First things first though I'll have to be depart with a mid 80's Peugeot race bike, it's a Carbolite frame, which is on pretty good nick. I'll strip it down as it'll possibly make someone a nice fixie... Then of course there's the old Raleigh Striker to depart with, it's got some surface rust on it as you'd expect, but otherwise it's in good working order, my son's taken it out a few times, but of course he's now getting into the world of Mountain Bikes plus it's a little to small for him. If there's any interested parties in these let me know.

Cheers, Snakes
random37

Post by random37 »

None of them are special, or worth anything much. But put an ad up here; someone might want the Puegeot for a train station bike, or the striker for a cheap bike for visiting kids.
Snakes

Post by Snakes »

Well so much for selling it! I couldn't, so today she completed her first journey to work! : )

I'd ridden her a couple of times before the above, but no more than about 1/2 a mile, just to be sure she was in reasonable nick etc, and she is!

A few tweaks to the gears and she rides beautifully!! Now she's in for some TLC over the next few days and I'll send a pic here when done!

Snakes