What is the best nutrition for a 100 mile ride?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
thekelticfringe

Re: What is the best nutrition for a 100 mile ride?

Post by thekelticfringe »

Thanks for the info regarding singletrack - I'll investigate - as you say, not quite as straighforward as up here!
Pedal faster, I hear banjos!
hultmark

Post by hultmark »

A small amount of porridge-oats/nuts/dried fruit/anything-else-dried. It's inexpensive, weighs little and does the job really well. ...and plenty of water!
Torbjörn
JennyAdcock

Post by JennyAdcock »

Thank you everyone for the advice. I was fine on the day for food thanks to advice here :)

I ate healthily the day before.

For Breakfast I ate a large bowl of the usual breakfast Meusli and fruits with a glass of milk and a cup of tea.
Before the race I ate half a banana (I could not eat anymore, I was full) and I drank some water.
Starting the race I was carrying 165 calorie nut bars and a packet of dried Apricots and 2 mars bars.
By halfway I had thrown away the apricots (They really did not appeal), I had eaten a mars bar and 2 nut bars
Soon after setting off on the second half I finished the other mars bar and snack bars.

I was fine and did not feel hungry at all. My main problem was liquid. Despite filling up my 2 bottles at each drinks stop, I was left dry when there was a 40 mile gap between feed stations and I suffered for 10 miles.

Jenny.
paulcuthbert

Post by paulcuthbert »

Gearoidmuar wrote:
paulcuthbert wrote:Recent 100 mile ride:

Breakfast - 4 rice cakes with Nutella

Lunch - Banana sandwich on white bread + 2 pieces of fruit. Pomegranate juice

Mid-ride - Regular water in bottles + 2 bananas

Post-ride - Homemade recovery drink containing small tin of pineapple, 1 banana, 200ml fat free yoghurt, 200ml skimmed milk, pinch of salt, pinch of sugar

Are you a protein-free zone!! :cry: :D

Nutella is packed with protein. There's quite a bit in the rice cakes, and then post-ride is practically all protein.

Why does it matter? Surely it's better to get energy from carbs/calories than protein...?
Pain is temporary. Quitting is forever
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

The more I ride, the less i'm convinced that 100m is that far. Pretty sure that I could do 100m pretty easily now and have been putting it off too long. Perhaps I will do it on Sunday as an extra 20-30m after my CTC ride. I reckon a pack of crisps for every 20 miles is enough.
twhincup

Post by twhincup »

paulcuthbert wrote:
Nutella is packed with protein. There's quite a bit in the rice cakes, and then post-ride is practically all protein.

Why does it matter? Surely it's better to get energy from carbs/calories than protein...?

It matters to a diabetic that follows a lower carb diet to keep the blood glucose levels down to a safer level 8), not that rice cakes and nuttella is particularly lo-carb :) It does mean i get to eat egg and bacon for breakfast and meat for ongoing energy (and if anyone on my sunday ctc ride grasses me up for eating cake i'll deny it all day long :twisted: )
niggle

Post by niggle »

Nutsey wrote:The more I ride, the less i'm convinced that 100m is that far. Pretty sure that I could do 100m pretty easily now and have been putting it off too long. Perhaps I will do it on Sunday as an extra 20-30m after my CTC ride. I reckon a pack of crisps for every 20 miles is enough.

For calorie counting try the bicycling calculator on this page: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

At my weight (10st 12lb and falling) I am apparently burning 621 calories per hour at 14mph, or 886 calories over 20 miles, which is about two Mars bars worth. There are apparently 184 calories in a standard 35g bag of Walkers cheese and onion crisps: http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/ca ... snacks.htm I would have thought the weight and rolling resistance of the bike, gradients and wind factors would make this calculation rather different though. As I am riding a lightly loaded steel tourer with 32mm tyres up and down the hills of Cornwall I should think it should revised upwards a bit in my case.
minkie

Post by minkie »

:D
niggle wrote:
Nutsey wrote:The more I ride, the less i'm convinced that 100m is that far. Pretty sure that I could do 100m pretty easily now and have been putting it off too long. Perhaps I will do it on Sunday as an extra 20-30m after my CTC ride. I reckon a pack of crisps for every 20 miles is enough.

For calorie counting try the bicycling calculator on this page: http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

At my weight (10st 12lb and falling) I am apparently burning 621 calories per hour at 14mph, or 886 calories over 20 miles, which is about two Mars bars worth. There are apparently 184 calories in a standard 35g bag of Walkers cheese and onion crisps: http://www.weightlossresources.co.uk/ca ... snacks.htm I would have thought the weight and rolling resistance of the bike, gradients and wind factors would make this calculation rather different though. As I am riding a lightly loaded steel tourer with 32mm tyres up and down the hills of Cornwall I should think it should revised upwards a bit in my case.

So for a century you would need approx 20 bags of crisps - might present some difficulties :D
essex tourer

Post by essex tourer »

Fruit cake, cooked by my wife, cut into inch cubes. It is the only reason my campanions cycle with me :)
niggle

Post by niggle »

essex tourer wrote:Fruit cake, cooked by my wife, cut into inch cubes. It is the only reason my campanions cycle with me :)

Malt loaf and bananas for me.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

niggle wrote:

That calculator is too simplified to be any real use.
Airspeed is more significant than groundspeed for energy burn, and you need to know at least a total for climb and descent.
It also doesn't take account of the bike you are riding. There's a big difference between a carbon TT bike and a fully loaded tourer.

The most accurate ways are either to do it from heart rate or a power meter.
My computer (CicloMaster CM628i) with HRM will tell me calories burned, once you feed in weight, age, gender and approx fitness level, and measure and store max and min heart rates.
It's not something I've kept records of though.
chris1959

Post by chris1959 »

I always take a pork pie or two, but I am very fat.