Lon Las, Porthmadog to Dolgellau section

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KEELIEDW

Lon Las, Porthmadog to Dolgellau section

Post by KEELIEDW »

We're planning our Lon Las route north to south, and are pondering over the Westerly route along the coast via Barmouth (sustrans route 8 ) instead of via Trawsfynydd (route 82). There are warnings about fast tourist traffic on the A496 from Dyffryn Ardudwy down to Barmouth on route 8. Does anyone know how bad it is?
Tail End Charlie

Re: Lon Las, Porthmadog to Dolgellau section

Post by Tail End Charlie »

For most of the way there is a cycle path which is separate, not just a bit in the gutter. Before that, the hills above Harlech are one of the best bits of the ride IMO. Hard work though.
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

I don't know the Barmouth route but it is really beautiful between Porthmadog and Dolgellau
PH

Post by PH »

I did it a few years ago, didn't see any warning and didn't find that a busy stretch (June) I think Sustrans are often over cautious, maybe aiming advice at the inexperienced family with small children.
You'll enjoy it.
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

The road from Porthmadog to Dolgellau can be fast in places. There are good stretches of open road hence the speed! It's not much different from the Barmouth to Dolgellau section, but when you go through Barmouth cross the Mawdach via the railway bridge (toll) and use the Mawdach trail, It's the old line to Dolgellau I used it two years ago and it was in good condition. some good views of the estuary.

IMGP0634_640x480.JPG

approaching Pennmeanpool? bridge on the Mawdach trail

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
AMC

Post by AMC »

Yes, that is Penmaenpool on the Mawddach trail - the pub on the bridge is called The George and is a nice place to hang out for a bit on the way.

The back roads from Harlech I agree are lovely , the higher ones are a bit of a slog but worth the effort if the weather's good. I cycle the main road quite often and it's fine, certainly not as fast as the road between Aberdyfi and Machynlleth which you'll avoid anyway going to Dolgellau. That section, although a bit of a push coming up out of Dolgellau, is a really lovely route all the way into Machynlleth. I have been making a point of cycling the other route via Trawsfynnedd from time to time to check out the progress of the decommissioning of the nuclear power station, it can be quite entertaining talking to the people doing the work (the cycle route weirdly goes right through the site). Don't swim in the lake though! If you stay in Dolgellau there's a lovely campsite at Cymer Abbey just north of the town, the cycle route goes past it. If you're planning to stay in Mach send me a pm & if we're around we could meet up or maybe you could camp in our garden or something. (Assuming you are camping that is, you may very sensibly not be...)