Anglesey : can I cycle the Britannia Bridge?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KEELIEDW

Anglesey : can I cycle the Britannia Bridge?

Post by KEELIEDW »

I'm going from Llanfairpwllgwngyll to Caernarfon. Using the A55 Britannia instead of the Menai Bridge would save a few miles. Is it possible/advisable ?
dewi1

Re: Anglesey : can I cycle the Britannia Bridge?

Post by dewi1 »

Hi

No probs at all, no restrictions on cyclists. Views are beautiful from both bridges. Used to live in Llanfair

Taffy
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

Would'nt call it a pleasant ride as your first available exit is the Tesco turn off (A487) Time your trips to avoid the rush hour and ferry arrivals will make it less unpleasant.
Neil
Chris_C

Post by Chris_C »

WOOLIFERKINS wrote:Would'nt call it a pleasant ride as your first available exit is the Tesco turn off (A487) Time your trips to avoid the rush hour and ferry arrivals will make it less unpleasant.

Not true actually: your first exit is the A487 at Treborth, from which you turn right and down the Faenol hill to the Felinheli road and Lôn Las Menai. The Tesco exit is the next one after that (A4087) - and, indeed, that wouldn't be a very pleasant ride.
Simon E

Post by Simon E »

your first exit is the A487 at Treborth

Yep. Also, approaching from Llanfairpwll on the A5 you have to go under the bypass and turn right onto the slip road. You can take a look at it with Google street view - search google maps for Britannia Bridge, Llanfairpwllgwyngyll then drag the orange man onto the A55 onto the section you want to see.

The bridge is high and very exposed so can be dangerous when it's windy (which is quite frequent). However, it's pretty wide with 50mph speed limit so if the weather is reasonable and you can avoid the busiest times you should be OK.

The Telford bridge is much narrower and has 15mph limit. If you don't mind the extra miles the road sections between the two bridges on both sides of the Straits are enjoyable.

Links to traffic and weather info at http://www.llansadwrn-wx.co.uk/latest.html
Chris_C

Post by Chris_C »

The 15mph speed limit was lifted a couple of years ago: it's now 30mph across the suspension bridge.
KEELIEDW

Post by KEELIEDW »

Many thanks for all the advice, I crossed the bridge without problems last week as part of my Holyhead to South Wales camping trip.