What shoes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Terry T

What shoes?

Post by Terry T »

I'm a bit of a Luddite when it comes to cycling, and still use toe-clips and straps on both my touring bikes. I am finding it increasingly difficult to obtain shoes that are both comfortable and practical for the type of cycling I do.
I have a pair of traditional Carnac shoes, and a pair if traditional Sidi shoes, both of which will need replacing this year. I don't like the Shimano shoes as I have already tried those, so, any ideas :?:
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

I have Specialized mtb shoes and SPD pedals on my road bike, they work more efficiently than toe clips, but take a little getting used to (ask Dai).
Dai

Post by Dai »

Getting used to them now - wouldn't be without them
flash

Post by flash »

I bought a pair of new old Carnacs on e bay a trader from Doncaster (I think). Very good service, lovely shoes and very reasonably priced
Simon L6

Post by Simon L6 »

if the kind of cycling you do requires a shoe that you can walk in, then Shimano (yes, I know) do a very decent one - grey, lace-up, spd fittable, good support, comfortable for about £39.
mankymitts

Post by mankymitts »

I swear by Specialized MTB shoes as well, very comfortable.
Lusting my Pinnarello

Post by Lusting my Pinnarello »

I personally have 2 sidi types

my best one is a blue/red/black gunius 5 2005 shoe. Absolutly georgious and fits like slippers (believe me)

However if you are going to do a bit of walking, then do get mountain bike shoes. It will make all the difference. Try on them and walk around. Ask at your LBS to try out the shoes on a bike (with clips) and see what u think

bare in mind though. They are different from toe clips (BUT LOADS BETTER)
Dai

Post by Dai »

I've bought some speacilized road shoes - they're excellent
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Dai wrote:I've bought some speacilized road shoes - they're excellent

I think you mean Specialized, Dai. Their shoes are good, but I'll stick with my mtb shoes, it is possible to walk in those. :wink:
Dai

Post by Dai »

I knew what I meant. I can walk in mine - I look as if I'm about to lay half a dozen eggs but do I care? :)
CJ

Post by CJ »

If you can wait a little while until they're in the shops, exactly the shoe you are looking for will be the Exustar Stelvio, imported by RSI, selling for about £70.

It has a traditional lace-up leather upper (no silly perforations) married to a modern composition sole that can either be used as is, or (after removing the usual slice-and-pull rubber panel) with SPD or similar cleats. Enough words, here's the picture that'll shortly appear in your mag.
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
CJ

Post by CJ »

Darn, picture upload didn't work. Let's see if it does this time.Image
Chris Juden
One lady owner, never raced or jumped.
Adam B

Post by Adam B »

Don't suppose you know roughly when these will be in the shops, Chris? Just what I've been looking for!

Cheers

Adam
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

If you are using toe clips, you can find the chunky soles on a lot of modern shoes don't slide in easily.
I'd suggest the Specialized Sonoma. ( about £35)
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

CJ wrote:If you can wait a little while until they're in the shops, exactly the shoe you are looking for will be the Exustar Stelvio, imported by RSI, selling for about £70.

It has a traditional lace-up leather upper (no silly perforations) married to a modern composition sole that can either be used as is, or (after removing the usual slice-and-pull rubber panel) with SPD or similar cleats. Enough words, here's the picture that'll shortly appear in your mag.

Those look like they might mean I could stop keeping a pair of shoes at work :)