Bike advice

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
gazza58

Bike advice

Post by gazza58 »

I am thinking of selling my road race bike and fixed wheel and buying a good tourer for commuting to work, training and touring. I am 6'3" so need a big frame, any advice on which models to look out for? Ideally i would like a good secondhand bargain but may be able to buy a new one if the price is right. I have heard the Dawes Super Galaxy is a good bike.
horizon

Re: Bike advice

Post by horizon »

gazza58 wrote:I am thinking of selling my road race bike and fixed wheel and buying a good tourer for commuting to work, training and touring.

Sensible fellow. :D
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
gazza58

Post by gazza58 »

Thinking of a Thorn Sherpa. Will this fit my needs?
horizon

Post by horizon »

gazza58 wrote:Thinking of a Thorn Sherpa. Will this fit my needs?

I personally think so but it's quite a leap to a bike that is very practical rather than fast - those 26" wheels cry out for robust tyres and lots of load - maybe it's a step too far and a 700c tourer/Audax/Sportif is closer to what you are used to but still fine for commuting/touring.

BTW Thorn do make a point about their big frames so it may be worth looking at their 700c bikes.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
indy

Post by indy »

gazza58 wrote:I am thinking of selling my road race bike and fixed wheel and buying a good tourer for commuting to work, training and touring. I am 6'3" so need a big frame, any advice on which models to look out for? Ideally i would like a good secondhand bargain but may be able to buy a new one if the price is right. I have heard the Dawes Super Galaxy is a good bike.

The Super Galaxy is a cracking bike (so good in fact I've practically worn mine out, see post below). Some people might say its a bit heavy but if you have a decent commute then I think its a price worth paying especially if you have to use crappy roads. A real workhorse of a bike!

Scott....