Cyle computer with multiple mounts

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
morzov

Cyle computer with multiple mounts

Post by morzov »

I've got different computers on my 3 bikes and would ideally like to just have one which could be switched from bike to bike.

It would preferably be wireless and able to cope with switching to different wheel sizes. I seem to remember that Decathlon did something along these lines but it was fairly clunky and not too easy to use.

Be grateful for any suggestions/recommendations.
tomahawk

Re: Cyle computer with multiple mounts

Post by tomahawk »

The Sigma range of computers allows use on two different bikes (guess what, I have Sigma computers). The Sigma is a nice solution, because if you have two different wheel diameters, you just buy a 'WS2' computer mounting bracket for the second computer. The layout of pins on the bracket is different on the WS2 bracket to the layout on the bracket that comes with the computer, so the computer will sense automatically whether you have it on bike one or bike two.

In fact, to state the obvious, the key here is tyre diameters. In theory, if you have the same tyres on any number of bikes with 700c wheels, you would just need to buy the fixing kit for another bike, and any computer will do.

Also, the Topeak Panoram allows for two wheel diameters (bike 1 and bike 2), but you have to manually select which bike you are using, which is a pain.
tomahawk

Post by tomahawk »

There are lots of bike computers that allow for 2 different bikes (or more accurately, two different wheel+tyre sizes on a potentially infinite number of bikes).
Are you sure you can't just change tyres on one of the bikes to make one of these computers capable of being used on two bikes?

All computers in this respect are not the same, however. I use a Sigma computer that has a neat way of automatically sensing which bike it is on, whereas in the past, I have used a Topeak that wanted me to manually select the bike. I hated this feature.

Now to answer your question, there are computers that allow three bikes, but the only one I know of is the Polar CS500, which is very expensive (£240).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

You can't get better than a Garmin Edge 305. Lovely bit of kit that can be fitted to different bikes quite easily especially if you don't bother with the Speed/Cadence unit. Just clip on and off. I even took mine in the car!

All data comes from GPS - speed, distance, track, altitude. You can upload it onto your computer to follow your progress and keep a record of your rides. The basic model isn't too expensive, and it comes with two or three mounts. You can buy more mounts too.
Mick F. Cornwall
morzov

Post by morzov »

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I quite like the sound of the Garmin but it is a little expensive for my needs plus I've already got a Garmin Geko + memory map etc etc but sometimes its just nice to go out with no map and just a computer to record time, dist avg speed etc

Tomahawk - The Sigma looks a good solution and I had a look on their website but was bewildered by choice and couldn't see the spare mount. Any idea what model you've got.

To answer your question by the way the 2 bikes have different wheel sizes - a 700 road bike and a 26 in mountain bike -which I use interchangeably over the year depending on how fit I am and whether I am touring or not.

Cheers Morzov
tomahawk

Post by tomahawk »

The Sigma computers I have are not wireless. But I have a Wheel Size 2 sensor like this one.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Sigm ... -15952.htm

As you will see, on the WS2 mount, the left hand contact point is slightly higher than the one on the right. On the original mount both contact points are in the extreme corners (like the one on the right of the WS2 mount). This connects with different contact pins on the back of the computer. I don't know if the same unit is available/adaptable for a wireless computer system. Indeed, it looks like there is a new range.
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

I have a CicloMaster CM628 HR, which is fully wireless and can cope with 2 bikes.
I also have a CM619 which has (wireless) cadence, and they can both read each others sensors, except the 619 doesn't understand heart rate.
I have the cadence sensor on my good bike, and a speed sensor on each of my 2 bikes. The HRM strap can be used on either as it's fitted to me, not the bike.
The 619 is a spare - it was just cheaper to get an extra mount, speed sensor and magnet by buying the whole computer - and I effectively got the cadence sensor and a spare battery for free!
Extra sensors and mounts are available separately if you prefer, but it'll cost more unless you're just buying a single spare part.
It auto-senses which bike it's attached to, and you can tell it not to bother trying to find the cadence sender on the bike that doesn't have it (which would kill the battery much faster).

The CM 628 was €39.99 (with HRM) and the CM 619 was €29.99 (with cadence), both fully wireless.
So I've got speed, cadence and HRM on 1 bike and speed and HRM on the other for a total of €69.98 + €5.95 P&P.
That's £63 total at today's exchange rate.

They are no longer current models, which may be why they are so reasonably priced, but there can't be all that many left.
The equivalent current model is much more expensive at €169 (although includes additional functions like a PC interface, wriststrap and altitude)
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The Aldi Bikemate with heart monitor is a wireless cycle computer. It does what all the other cycle computers costing up to £40 do, but its sold for £14.99 I think. I have three for my bikes. It just clips into a mount so you can put the ones you are not using on the shelf. At £14.99 cost is not an issue. Watch the Adi website beecause they only have them in occasionally

Al
Touring on a bicycle is a great way to explore and appreciate the countryside and towns you pass through. Make a difference...
Deckie

Post by Deckie »

I think the OM is trying to get to the bottom of an issue that has been quietly bugging me for a while...

I have more than one bike.

On one of my bikes I have a computer that is capable of being set up to record from more than one bike.

It is only supplied with one mount, sender unit and wheel magnet.

I do not want to constantly swap the three above items between the bikes.

Is it possible to source duplicates?

P.S. I have a Cateye Micro and am very happy with it!
Richard & Joules JoGLE for Marie Curie - 14 to 28 May 2010
http://www.richardjoulesjogle.blogspot.com
nickp

Post by nickp »

Google is your friend! "Cateye Micro spares" turned up a number of online emporia eager (I assume) to supply such things.
mark a.

Post by mark a. »

You'll have no trouble in sourcing spare Cateye mounting kits.

I have a Nite Rider computer which also does two wheel sizes. Except they don't sell mounting kits so normally that's a completely useless feature! Fortunately their UK supplier (2Pure) were brill and sent me one for free from bits they had lying around so I can stick it on my MTB.
morzov

Post by morzov »

Thanks for the further replies -all good stuff.

I'll tell you where I got to for future reference if nothing else.

Sigma

I quite like the look of the Sigma set up. Even though its not wireless its relatively cheap and apparently easy to use and read.

As tomahawk said you can buy a spare mount from SJS which you can put on your second bike and it recognises your computer and records in second bike mode e.g different wheel size

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/product-Sigm ... -15952.htm

I found the compatible computer (a Sigma BC1106) here:

http://www.discountbicycles.co.uk/biz/p ... xProd=4758

So the total cost is about £30 plus whatever postage SJS charges

CicloMaster

The other option I liked the look of because it is wireless and includes a HRM is the one suggested by Phil Lee in an earlier reply. You buy a CM 628 and CM 619 and basically end up with 2 mounts and a wireless computer that works on both bikes (the CM 628 - the CM 619 is spare and is bought basically to get the mount). The total cost is about £65 which is pretty good value considering it includes a HRM.

I found both models available here:

http://www.bike24.com/manufacturers/Ciclosport.html

Then of course there is the Aldi option which I think I'm right in saying may even be made by Sigma?

Finally my initial idea was for three bikes. However, given that 2 of them have 700 wheels albeit different tyre sizes I would probably just buy a spare Sigma mount and call the 700 wheels "Wheel size 2" as I don't think it would make a huge difference to the accuracy of mileage/mph recorded.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I have a Cateye Strada, which retails for under £40. I use it on two bikes.

BikeRadar reviewed it a while back http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... less-13137

It does two different tyre sizes, but not more than that. The magnetic pick-ups for other bikes are easy to come by. Lots of bike shops stock them.

Good luck
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom