Here's a tough one.... Venturian C & AC

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Maldo

Here's a tough one.... Venturian C & AC

Post by Maldo »

I am trying to find ANYTHING I can about a cycle club that ran in Liverpool years and years ago. They were called Venturian C & AC, or so I am informed. But fizzled out years ago.. The reason I am trying to chase this down is an Uncle of mine just informed me that my Dad ( now passed away) was into cycling when he was young, and did a regular 60-80 mile run each Sunday. Looking for any possible archive material that exists if any on this particular club. Maybe I will get lucky and someone will have a photo of the members or something... yes I know it's a long shot. But I am gobsmacked to think my cycling enthusiasm may well be being contributed to genetically, now knowing this little nugget in my family history.

Thanks for reading.. keeping my fingers crossed..

Maldo.
jan19

Re: Here's a tough one.... Venturian C & AC

Post by jan19 »

Try the Local Studies section of Liverpool Libraries. They may well be able to point you in the direction of news cuttings, photos etc.

They probably have an email contact you could use - try Liverpool Council's home page and follow the link to the libraries. I'd guess liverpool.gov.uk but you'll find it if you google it. They may want you to go in to do any extensive research but at least you'll get an idea of what might be feasible. Worth an email anyway.

Jan
Maldo

Post by Maldo »

Good point.. hadn't considered that. I will look into it. I do know the club folded many years ago, and the period I am after is probably early fifties I would guess. So maybe your angle is the best way to go..

thanks

Maldo.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

This may sound daft but if there is any possibility that the pronunciation has got a bit mangled as this info has been passed on, consider the Vegetarian C & AC. That was a well-known club within my lifetime, and one of the End-toEnd record breakers, either Dave Keeler or Reg Randall was a member. I've never heard of the Venturian, although that means nothing in itself. The good news is that this great club is not defunct, although it's on a much smaller footing, as explained here:

http://www.vcac.vegfolk.co.uk/history.html
--------

Edit:
It was Dave Keeler - it's mentioned towards the end of that link. Here's his bike:

http://www.classiclightweights.co.uk/bi ... an-rb.html

Reg Randall was Harlequins IIRC and he broke DK's record only a couple of weeks after it had been set. I remember an account that on the day that happened DK was out on his bike and he rang somebody up who mentioned that his record had been broken and he spent some time in the kiosk, heartbroken. (Sorry - no connection with the Venturian C & AC :oops: )
lisatat

Post by lisatat »

Hi. My dad cycled with the Venturian (off Oakfield Rd?) from around 1950. What was your dad's name? My dad's still around so I can ask him if he has any info for you.
horizon

Post by horizon »

lisatat wrote:Hi. My dad cycled with the Venturian (off Oakfield Rd?) from around 1950. What was your dad's name? My dad's still around so I can ask him if he has any info for you.

I would be intrigued to know how you came across this 8 year old thread!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher