Your Favourite Cycling Book Is....?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Smudge

Re: Your Favourite Cycling Book Is....?

Post by Smudge »

I've read quite a few touring books over the last year or so and i've just finished "Miles from Nowhere" by Barbara Savage and its by far the best touring book ive read so far

Anne Mustoe's "a bike ride" was a real let down by the long and boring history lesson about the romans

Simon
"It never gets easier ~ You just go faster"
Colin63

Post by Colin63 »

Smudge wrote:Anne Mustoe's "a bike ride" was a real let down by the long and boring history lesson about the romans

Simon

That's sold it to me. I love Roman history. It takes all sorts :)
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Hard to get hold of, but well worth the effort,are 'Ragged Staff''s' (Rex Coley)'s books from the 40s and 50s 'Cycling is such Fun', Laughter on 2 Wheels' and 'Joyous Cycling'. They are collections of short and funy stories about his cycling that still make you laugh and offer a glimpse into a byegone world.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.
GavinC

Post by GavinC »

bikerpauline wrote:
cyclingthelakes wrote:
A lot of books I haven't seen mentioned here including these other books by Mike Carden, 'The full-English' and 'A bit of Scotland' which I haven't read but sound interesting.

I thought The Full English was a very poor book. It is written by someone who could not even complete a short ride from Portland to Berwick without hopping on trains and thumbing lifts. All he did was feel sorry for himself.

Totally agree - 'The Full English' is one of the most dismal books I've ever read. Not recommended at all.

However, I will add another vote for 'Richard's Bicycle Book'. I bought it in the late 70's as an impressionable 11 yr old who had just been given his first 'real bike' - a 5 speed Raleigh racer. That book was key in shaping my views on cycling. I've still got my original dog eared, oil stained copy and I've bought each subsequent revision and variant that Ballantine has published.

When I got a Bickerton folder a while back, I picked up a copy of 'Daisy, Daisy' by Christian Miller whihc tells of her journey across North America on a Bickerton. Not the greatest work of literature ever written but as anyone who has ridden a Bickerton will agree, a highly courageous undertaking nonetheless :D

Gavin
velocipede2288

Post by velocipede2288 »

I am at the moment reading a book from the library which I am thoroughly enjoying. The Lost Cyclist. The story (really two stories) of Frank Lenz, who set off in 1892 on the new safety bicycle with the new tubed tyres, to circle the world, and after 14 thousand miles disappeared,presumed murdered. But also every other chapter is about two other americans who set off before him and completed the epic journey.
It is a real page turner and has many of the original pictures of these adventurers.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

velocipede2288 wrote:I am at the moment reading a book from the library which I am thoroughly enjoying. The Lost Cyclist. The story (really two stories) of Frank Lenz, who set off in 1892 on the new safety bicycle with the new tubed tyres, to circle the world, and after 14 thousand miles disappeared,presumed murdered. But also every other chapter is about two other americans who set off before him and completed the epic journey.
It is a real page turner and has many of the original pictures of these adventurers.

I'm enjoying this at the moment too.
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

Colin63 wrote:
Smudge wrote:Anne Mustoe's "a bike ride" was a real let down by the long and boring history lesson about the romans

Simon

That's sold it to me. I love Roman history. It takes all sorts :)

Colin .. she follows the path of Alexander the Great and the book is very well written (just not my cup of tea) but i'm sure you'l enjoy both the history and the cycling element

Simon
Smudge

Post by Smudge »

spark303 wrote:[

I thought The Full English was a very poor book. It is written by someone who could not even complete a short ride from Portland to Berwick without hopping on trains and thumbing lifts. All he did was feel sorry for himself.

Totally agree - 'The Full English' is one of the most dismal books I've ever read. Not recommended at all.

Gavin[/quote]

Mike Cardew has to be the worlds biggest moaning whinging and self pitying cyclist in the world ... dont waste your money

Simon
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

Smudge wrote:
spark303 wrote:[

Gavin

He's certainly no cyclist but I didn't think the book was that bad. Admittedly I did think his bike got all the best lines!
velocipede2288

Post by velocipede2288 »

Quote..thought The Full English was a very poor book. It is written by someone who could not even complete a short ride from Portland to Berwick without hopping on trains and thumbing lifts. All he did was feel sorry for himself....Quote

I guess we are all different, but I must disagree. I found this book very humerous and enjoyed it the second time as much as the first. Not a great cycling feat, it's true, but a trip on a bike, nevertheless. And full of interesting historical facts.
HPFlashman

Post by HPFlashman »

I`ll give this a slight necrobump, on the notion that one cant read or have to many books:

Heartily reccomended:

David Byrnes "The bicycle diarys"
A bit of everything really, the Talking Heads main man packs up a bike in his luggage while travelling and discusses rides, places and a bit of everything.

Got a couple more, but dinner is ready... :D
Best regards

Harry
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The one that got me thinking about how to manage myself on the bike was Joe Friel's Cycling past 50, which has a lot on metabolism and endurance. It's getting a bit dated now, but there's still a lot of useful stuff there.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

I enjoyed Johnny Ginger's last ride by Tom Fremantle and Bicycles up kilimanjaro by the Crane cousins both available second hand from Amazon
'Kernow bys Vyken'
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

The Hour (Hutch)
The Dalkey Archive ...a few man fused-with-bike bits in it.
pedalsheep

Post by pedalsheep »

+1 for Johnny Ginger's Last Ride. Despite the strange title I found this a very good read.

1 of the best books published recently IMHO is Mike Carter's 'One Man and His Bike' about his ride round the British coast. Also has anyone mentioned Tom Kevill-Davies 'The Hungry Cyclist' yet - another one I enjoyed.