C. Bertrand & Co.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
GrahamNR17

C. Bertrand & Co.

Post by GrahamNR17 »

I am researching a bike maker called C. Bertrand & Co, with the address given as Near Tally-Ho Corner, 654 High Road, N. Finchley, N.12

Googling has failed me, but I'm interested to know anything I can find out about them.

Thanks for any light you can shed!

graham
gaz

Re: C. Bertrand & Co.

Post by gaz »

Googling wasn't a complete failure for me.

Avenue for investigation?
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Good link, Gaz, thankyou!

Alas their conclusions are all presumptions and are all about the very trike that's sitting in my garage as we speak :|

I have since communicated with a Bertrand collector in the States who has filled me in with more info which I'm compiling into a piece on my website, for other people's future reference.

I'd make a lousy Sherlock Holmes though :oops:
resus1uk

Post by resus1uk »

classic lightweights web site has something about HR Morris who worked for Bertrand at one stage.

May have used Ken Rogers axle in the trike
k gardner

Post by k gardner »

Your Enquire about C Bertrand And Co interests me as the company in its later days was owned by my Father, and mother in law Edgar R G Sage and Winifred Sage.
They purchased the company and property, 654-656a High Road Finghley N12, in, or around 1947. Edgar continued to manufacture cycles well in to the 1950's, but by this time was unable to make a living simply from Bertrand and Co,so he therefore found other employment continuing to make bicycles part time.
By the time I met my wife Carole ( their daughter ) in 1960, Edgar was again running C Bertrand and Co full time, but mainly selling and repairing Motor Cycles, and Scooters, pedal cycles by this time were a very small part of the business.
We still have a Bertrand cycle, and an experimental Tandem in our barn, both in need of serious referb' the cycle is complete, but the tandem is minus wheels.
Should any of this be of interest to you, or you want to clarify any points, please come back to me.

Keith
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Hello Keith,

WOW :shock: You are a potential mine of information on the Bertrand company. There is so precious little good quality information available that the history of that fine Company is in danger of disappearing. May I put you in touch with a friend in the USA who is trying to piece together as much information as he can about Bertrand so that it's history becomes publicly available forever?

Huge thanks 8)

Graham
k gardner

Post by k gardner »

Hi Graham

You are welcome to pass my Email address on to your friend in the USA, it depends on what info' he expects, as records of the company were disposed of many years ago when my father in law closed it down. However my wife will be able to supply a little history, and a some heresay from those days. As I said in my original reply, we still have two machines in need of referb', but that is all.

Regards Keith Gardner.
9494arnold

Post by 9494arnold »

Can I take the liberty of passing your contact details on to the Veteran Cycle Club and the Tricycle Association ?

I have just taken delivery of a joint publication by the 2 bodies on Trikes and manufactureres, will ruch home and check tonight if Bertrand get a mention .

Might stir up some information for you as well.

Paul Arnold
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

9494arnold wrote:Can I take the liberty of passing your contact details on to the Veteran Cycle Club and the Tricycle Association ?

I have just taken delivery of a joint publication by the 2 bodies on Trikes and manufactureres, will ruch home and check tonight if Bertrand get a mention .

Might stir up some information for you as well.

Paul Arnold

Of possible interest, Paul, the chap in the States that is now in touch with Keith is writing as full a history as possible of the Bertrand marque and is intending to pass the full write-up along to both associations. Happy to put the American branch of the research in touch with you on the basis that more brains working together can often make for a fuller picture 8)
Mikec.j

Post by Mikec.j »

I have had a Bertrand tandem for over 30 years, which I think was called a 'Sololite'. My wife and I ride it on a regular basis with our local CTC group. I have, however, upgraded all the equipment and we find it very enjoyable to ride. I raced a Bertrand tandem loaned to myself and a fellow cyclist to do a 'tandem 30m time trial' over 50 years ago. The tandem was loaned to us by the then president of our Finchley cc, Eddie Sage. Unfortunately, we punctured 1 mile before the finish! Hope this has been of interest to you.

Mick Jury
GrahamNR17

Post by GrahamNR17 »

Mikec.j wrote:I have had a Bertrand tandem for over 30 years, which I think was called a 'Sololite'. My wife and I ride it on a regular basis with our local CTC group. I have, however, upgraded all the equipment and we find it very enjoyable to ride. I raced a Bertrand tandem loaned to myself and a fellow cyclist to do a 'tandem 30m time trial' over 50 years ago. The tandem was loaned to us by the then president of our Finchley cc, Eddie Sage. Unfortunately, we punctured 1 mile before the finish! Hope this has been of interest to you.

Mick Jury

Really very useful information, Mick. Eddie Sage, the man who invented, if that's the right word, the Sololite. I have his own Sololite, the original prototype, in my shed as we speak. It'll soon be off to America to the chap who's writing the Bertrand history. Perhaps you might allow me to put him in touch with you, as history is nothing without the anecdotes of the people that new the man himself?

Best,
Graham
Mikec.j

Post by Mikec.j »

Hi Graham
Yes, by all means pass this on to the contact in USA - glad you found this of interest. We have current photos of the tandem which we can send via e-mail if you would like.

Mick Jury
shortclaud

Post by shortclaud »

Attn Mick J

I'm in the process of acquiring a Bertrand tandem, and I'd love to see those pics of yours. Any prospect of you sending them my way? Any idea if the fellow in the USA actually got into print with his history of the company? Does your machine continue to give good service?

Thanks
Adam.s

Post by Adam.s »

I've just inherited a 1938 Bertrand cycle from my grandfather, who had the frame built for him when he was in his teens.

I'm also interested in finding information about the company and will pass on any information from my grandfather.

Photo to follow.

Adam