Garmin 605

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Pilchyman

Garmin 605

Post by Pilchyman »

I use ride with gps to map my routes for my Garmin 605 however if the ride is longer than 50 miles the Garmin just puts a straight line to home at 50 miles i.e across fields, woods, water, and any thing else, hence any rides longer than 50 miles i have to load it in two parts. Why does the garmin 605 just do a straight line back to home after 50 miles? this also happens on my mates 605 as well.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Garmin 605

Post by Mick F »

Have you set the routing to be On Road or Off Road?
Off Road will just put a straight line to your destination.

There's a menu setting in there under Navigation.
Mick F. Cornwall
Pilchyman

Post by Pilchyman »

thanks for your help but no joy. All the settings appear to be correct. Once the route is loaded on the 605 it follows my mapped route until around 50 miles and then straight lines back to home and it doesn't matter which route i put on there. You go along quite happily following the route for 50 miles and then it sends you straight across the fields??????? The only way i can combat the problem is to plan the route say 40 miles out and then plan another seperate route 40 miles back but i really want the whole route 60 / 80 miles and not get directed across the fields or whatever after 50 miles.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ah.
It seems that the 605 has issues like the 705 has!

I've always thought that the firmware was the same, and now that the 705 has tons of issues, no doubt the 605 has too.

I suggest you join the Garmin forum https://forums.garmin.com/ and get a post/question on the 605 message board.
Mick F. Cornwall
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

Just a thought as I don't have a Garmin 605.

Can you only enter a specified number of waypoints which you exceed at about 50 miles so it directs you directly back to the start.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
Big T

Post by Big T »

I had a similar problem with my 705 during a recent audax. I went slightly off the planned course (as I'd plotted it wrong) and the auto-rerouting kept trying to send me back to the start. I cured it by turning off the auto-reroute when I got to the 1st tea stop.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Pilchyman

Post by Pilchyman »

Thanks for all your help, i will try the garmin forum. Tried to reduce the waypoints to a minimum (22) still no change. How do i turn the auto re routing off?, can't seem to find out how to do that. God this is doing my head in!!!!!
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

Pilchyman wrote:Thanks for all your help, i will try the garmin forum. Tried to reduce the waypoints to a minimum (22) still no change. How do i turn the auto re routing off?, can't seem to find out how to do that. God this is doing my head in!!!!!

I would give Garmin a ring.

Their techs are quite good and it is a free call.

Ian
Last edited by Tandem Man on 22 Sep 2010, 9:21pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ian From Wakefield
Big T

Post by Big T »

To turn off auto-rerouting, go to Settings, then Routing, then go to the Recalculate box and select "Off".
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
mrbarry

Post by mrbarry »

I have a 705 and it doesnt do that, I am doing autumn epic sunday and that 95 mile route is in and ready for a further test.

It did reroute first time I used it tho as you say, after turning off auto-rerouting route all is now well.
Doesn't matter what you ride as long as you ride!
tykeboy2003

Trekbuddy

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I don't have a Garmin, but I have a GPS device which shows speed, distance travelled and average speed etc. It also has Bluetooth and I have a free application called Trekbuddy http://www.trekbuddy.net/forum/ on my phone. I create my own maps using streetmap.co.uk (1:50000 OS maps) and I edit them using paintbrush to mark my intended route. The maps are then calibrated and loaded onto the phone (sony ericsson W800i). I am then able to follow the route easily. Obviously if I get lost then I don't have the usual SatNav functionality but at least I know exactly where I am and can use an old fashioned paper map to find my way. The GPS device is a Gosget S2 Sport, which cost about £50 2 years ago off eBay.
tykeboy2003

Trekbuddy Update

Post by tykeboy2003 »

I now have an Android phone with built in gps. The latest Trekbuddy works brilliantly on this phone (Samsung i5500). I use Mobile Atlas Creator to get my maps (including OS Landranger and Explorer maps) and BikeHike to plot my routes. I download the BikeHike routes as gpx files which Trekbuddy overlays onto the map.

All for FREE - except the phone of course which was £85 (sim-free) from Carphone Warehouse.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All for free, except the phone and the monthly charge. But you've done well with a SIM free phone.

Cheap (PAYG or cheap contract) phone as well as a Garmin is the best way IMHO.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS
Carphone Warehouse are advertising that phone SIM free at £168.95.
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobile ... A/HANDSET/

Sounds like you got a bargain! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
tykeboy2003

Samsung i5500

Post by tykeboy2003 »

My wife got the phone for me for Christmas and a mate in my office got one at the same time. Wife's got a HTC Wildfire which was £130 sim-free. Looks like it was a real bargain.

I don't pay for my sim because its a company one - I do standby for production systems so I get a laptop and phone. I don't abuse the privilege by excessive calls and texts so I get it free - otherwise I'd be carrying 2 phones round with me.