Indicators for trekking (butterfly) handlebars

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Meeky

Indicators for trekking (butterfly) handlebars

Post by Meeky »

Hello, again :)

Anyone use indicators on their bike? I've had a couple of instances where the road's been particularly poor and signalling has been a nightmare because controlling the bike/changing down has been difficult with just one hand.

I've had a quick look on Amazon and all I can see is a mirror/indicator set that clips onto the end of a handlebar - no good if you have drops/trekking handlebars. There are no results for this in the CTC shop either.

Anyone looked into this in the past or use/d these?

Thanks.
crazydavid

Re: Indicators for trekking (butterfly) handlebars

Post by crazydavid »

Are you talking about Winkku's?

Tried these last year and was not impressed. They lasted less than a week before they broke off. The problem is that when you load the batteries in, they weigh a ton and the plastic fittings that slip into the end of the bars are not strong enough. On anything less than a billiard table, they wobble about too much.

Fair play to the manufacturer though, I got a very quick refund!!

I havn't found a decent indicator system myself. If you come across anything, please give me a heads up 8)
crazydavid

Post by crazydavid »

Forgot to say, I use butterfly bars now. I have fitted normal bar ends (just "walk" them round the curved bits). You can then fit whatever you like in the end of the bar ends. If the bar ends are too long, just hacksaw them down a bit

All the best

David
gaz

Post by gaz »

Bicygnals get a mention in this thread.

Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations are a nightmare at the best of times. I had a look and there are regulations about indicators on a bicycle (same as a motorcycle under 50cc), where they are fitted, angle of visibility, rate of flash, blah, blah, blah, blah......
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Meeky

Post by Meeky »

Yes, it was the Winkku - looks horrific. It screams 'I'm just waiting to break!'

My butterfly handlebars are nearly vertical and I only use the top and bottom grips. That leaves the sides free. I'm very reluctant to add more width to them by installing extra bars, but thanks very much for the tip.

The bycygnals look OK, but I'm after something that has independent lights for each side so that they sit on the outside edge of the handlebars indicated by the arrows in the attachment.

Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far :)
Attachments
bike1.jpg