Tricks for being seen on the road.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
manonbike

Re: Tricks for being seen on the road.

Post by manonbike »

I know at night time it's always best to be lit up like a Christmas tree, I know that technically your not supposed to have flashing lights, but l've got to be honest I feel alot safer with flashing lights than steady ones whether this works or not I'm not sure. But i've got to admit when i'm driving a car I do tend to pick out flasing light more readily. Another thing I notice is alot of cyclists I see wear dark clothing (i'm talking day time vision now) I always prefere to wear something brightly coloured again it's probably sycological (bet i've spelt that wrong). Defensive riding does help and looking for eye contact does give one some reassurance. Not conclusive answers I know but it does help me, basically I don't trust anyone one in a vehicle, yes that includes myself when i'm driving. :oops:

Martyn
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

I thought flashing lights were now officially acceptable for cyclists to use- could anyone confirm?
I know they didn't used to be, but didn't that change?

They are certainly easier to see and generally draw the attention of drivers- as a driver I find them helpful- I am a careful driver and wouldn't miss a steady light, but I am certain the flashing ones are easier to see, you instinctively notice them sooner for some reason. Every other driver I've talked to about them says the same.
I also find it easier to judge the speed of a cyclist who has flashing lights than one who has steady lights too. Don't know why that's so either.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Edwards

Post by Edwards »

At night a head torch with a narrow long beam is good, you can then move your head to light up the the inside of cars in front. I have not solved the rear problem yet.

During the day you need to stand out from the crowd and be unusual. I remember seeing Father Christmas riding a bike, complete with a sack (do not know how it was held). He was certainly noticed.

If some body was to try them report back about the success or other wise of. A long blond wig short brightly coloured skirt, stockings and suspenders with high heals. Finishing the outfit of with a nice tasteful blouse. Preferably you would have hairy legs and a beard.

I recon that would get you noticed, if not how about a pink Too-too.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

thirdcrank wrote:
cyclingthelakes wrote:... someone said a "flag" jersey tends to keep motorists away more.....

Sorry to be slow to catch :oops: on but I don't understand. At first I thought you were referring to the Union Flag (and drivers might think you were a British nationalist.) Then with the bit about depending on where you are I thought it might be nationalism more generally....

:?

Though I'm not a strict Nationalist, I enjoy waving the flag and I've got a 3 Lions shirt like everyone I'm sure, I once managed to pick up a jersey that is for some "disabled" team but the flag is on it alright and surely as the fellow alluded too, I think the vast majority of drivers think, "Look at this one? We'll leave him alone." Sure enough, nothing about Mr. Armstrong.... I couldn't fool you TC, yes, my flag probably has more to do with surfing the boneyard near Cornwall.
Last edited by cyclingthelakes on 19 Oct 2010, 3:53am, edited 1 time in total.
cyclingthelakes

Post by cyclingthelakes »

I'm rather skiddish, really, other cyclists probably would embarrass me and have, I don't go into traffic unless I really need to, take the back ways, I'm not the most courageous cyclist though on lesser used roads, I don't mind asserting myself.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Wear a top that's striped yellow and black, like a wasp :twisted: We, like other animals, are hard wired to recognise those warning stripes as a danger. By the way, I don't have one of these, so if anyone's got any ideas on where to get one or how to make one :)
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

I was driving a few weeks ago, and noticed a cyclist who had a flag/banner stuck in his rear rack, perpendicular to the bike, so it stuck outside, about to max elbow width. It was a triangle with a reflective border.

While the flapping would probably bother me (until I got used to it?), it definitely got my attention as a driver. And, although it's hard to judge the space as an observer, he seemed to get a bit more overtaking space than I am accustomed to.

I observed this at dusk, rather than night, but the reflective bits were nicely visible in my headlights, and I would expect them to be more so in full darkness. It might not be quite as visible on a bike going faster (I would guess he was going 12 or 13 mph) because the flag would be more horizontal. However, it was the reflective border flapping about that initially drew my attention.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
byegad

Post by byegad »

Tigerbiten wrote:
meic wrote:.......... but I havent much faith in anything below car bonnet height being seen.

When I'm on my Trice Q, my head is below the hight of most car bonnets.
I've done over 8k miles on it now and only had a couple of smidnsy's.

The trick is to be different enough to catch the drivers attention.
Once you get that, your safe ........ :D

I agree. It's the astonishing? factor. A recumbent trike is so out of the ordinary to the average driver that they avoid getting close to you. I continually noticed how close cars passed me on a DF compared to the distance they give to my trike.

It would be different if we all rode recumbent trikes. So you DFers please keep using the roads, it makes me safer. :D :D
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
glueman

Post by glueman »

It's not about being seen - any cyclist can be seen - it's about reducing predictability. Kids messing about veering all over the road make cars slow right down and give them a very wide berth. It's not unknown for me to wave my arms about on multi-lane roundabouts, situations where the driver's competitive instinct overtakes a need to take care and observe. It provides ambiguity about my intentions, not certainty. Certainty will get you killed, better thought a plonker than a statistic.
james01

Post by james01 »

Some useful comments above.
One of my standard procedures when unsure whether a driver has seen me is to adopt a slightly manic, out-of-control riding style, knees and elbows a-kimbo, bike wobbling etc. This is very effective on those narrow country lanes when an approaching driver shows no sign of slowing down. Riding with automaton-like precision encourages drivers to remain in their robot-like trance and simply fail to register your existence. Drivers will give less room to an expert roadie pedalling along at a precise 18" from the kerb than to a deranged wobbler :twisted:
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

1) Wear brightly coloured clothing and ride a bright colourful bike; 2) If the road narrows because of hatched areas in the middle of the road and bollards, move out a bit to stop someone from overtaking you if the road is too narrow; 3) be especially cautious at this time of year because of the low sun in motorists eyes and misted up widows due to cars being parked outside, especially if they are moving out of a drive or side road; 4) make eye contact.
jonty
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A little story of my ride into Tavistock with Bike and Trailer a week or so ago ........

I dropped down West Street hill towards the town centre where a one-way system exists towards me. The one-way bit is a right turn for me as I can't go straight on. A woman in a red car is exiting from the one-way and turning to her left (the way I will be going). It's a Give Way for her, and I have priority as the road just bends through 90deg for me.

I'm sat up on my Mercian, brightly dressed, helmet on, a huge shiny trailer in tow, I'm very much aware of the traffic and "in control" in Primary and braking ready for my swing round to the right.

The woman looks ahead - in my direction - looks left to see if her way is clear, and pulls out. I saw all this happening, I was aware of the fact that although she saw me, she paid no attention to me! I watched it all happen!

I swung round the bend parallel to her - only just enough room past the parked cars - and I shouted in a VERY loud voice at her: "YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO GIVE WAY!!!!!!!!!" She looked shocked!

Would you believe it, only 5 mins later, a similar thing happens at a mini-roundabout. I'm going right with my hand out and a car is coming towards me to turn to his left and he just comes out straight at me! I shouted again: "Oi!!! I'm RIDING HERE!!!!!!" He looked shocked too!

Moral of my story?
It doesn't matter what you wear or what you look like, the inattentive motorist with other things on his mind will see a cyclist and think they are only going at a snail's pace and are of no consequence.

Boy Scout - "Be Prepared".
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Around here at least, a lot of drivers now use a sort of aggressive positioning when tring to emerge from a GIVE WAY - things like edging out and if there is nothing approaching from their right, pulling out across the nearside part of the carriageway with the intention of forcing a concession from traffic comeing from their left. Another habit when emerging and making a right turn is to position their vehicle partly obstructing the junction to make it harder for anybody turning right into the minor road, in the hope that they will let them out first. There is, of course a hierarchy with people like the drivers of skip lorries at the top. If drivers use these strategies against other drivers, they are hardly likely to be too worried about inconveniencing or even endangering cyclists.
Si

Post by Si »

For being seen (as opposed to being given room - which is a different thing) I (as has been mentioned above) just go for riding in a place where they are looking - ie out from the kerb, where you'd expect them to be looking for cars. And, if possible, make eye-contact with them - knowing that there is someone staring at you seems to grab the attention much better than any amount of colourful clothing. Given that most collisions occur at junctions, it's normally the case that you are facing whatever it is that is going to hit you, so you've the opportunity to make eye contact.

And, if you are still unsure whether they have seen you - slow down and get ready to brake - no point in being in the right if there is a car parked on your head!

As for getting room from overtaking traffic - ride out from the kerb again (reduces the temptation for them to try and squeeze past when there isn't really room), I sometimes ride with my jacket unzipped so that it flaps around and makes me look bigger, more unpredictable, if they are following too close then turn and give them the eye ball, and of course, ride in such a way that you look slightly out of control and unpredictable. (also wear a long blond wig rather than a helmet :wink: )