Tricks for being seen on the road.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Edwards

Re: Tricks for being seen on the road.

Post by Edwards »

Si wrote:also wear a long blond wig rather than a helmet

It would be so helpful if you did give this a try then report back as to how successful it is.
Them afterwards try other items to match the wig.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
frank9755

Post by frank9755 »

It was tried - by a chap who did a study on distances given by cars in Bristol a couple of years ago.

The two findings I can remember are that:
- Drivers give more room to people wearing normal clothes and least to people who look like pros wearing team kit and helmets
- A blonde wig is the best thing you can wear!

That 'Big' link at the start of the thread is good. I do quite a lot of the things that are mentioned in there. In particular I certainly feel I get more room when I have a wide pair of touring panniers on my bike.
s2vmx

Post by s2vmx »

Perhaps a bikini and a blonde wig might do the trick ? :?:

- but with flashing red lights may get you the wrong sort of attention :oops:
Stu
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

s2vmx wrote:Perhaps a bikini and a blonde wig might do the trick ?

That is likely to attract a motorists attention. Remember the average male is supposed to be able to spot a pair of knickers showing above young ladies hipster trousers at 200 paces.
Keith Edwards
Phil_Lee

Post by Phil_Lee »

Since my latest lighting upgrade I now ride at night with reflective arm and leg bands with 4 flashing red leds in each, 4 tail lights, 2 of which are flashing, flashing red led handlebar end plugs, reflective material on shoes, jacket, gloves, rear mudguard and rack bag, normal rear and pedal reglectors, white flashing led marker light on front, Ixon IQ, 9 led headtorch, and a 270 lumen led torch as "high beam".

I don't seem to have too many problems with smidsys after dark :)

Downside is that it takes (depending on bike - they differ slightly) either 10x AA, 10x AAA and 4x CR2032 or 4x AA, 13x AAA, 4x CR2032 and 4x LR44 to power all that lot, but at least all except the button cells (LR44 & CR2032) are rechargeable.
I use low self-discharge NiMH for the AA and AAA cells, and carry spares (although the likelihood of everything running out at the same time is pretty low).
Big T

Post by Big T »

Phil_Lee wrote:Since my latest lighting upgrade I now ride at night with reflective arm and leg bands with 4 flashing red leds in each, 4 tail lights, 2 of which are flashing, flashing red led handlebar end plugs, reflective material on shoes, jacket, gloves, rear mudguard and rack bag, normal rear and pedal reglectors, white flashing led marker light on front, Ixon IQ, 9 led headtorch, and a 270 lumen led torch as "high beam".

I don't seem to have too many problems with smidsys after dark :)

Downside is that it takes (depending on bike - they differ slightly) either 10x AA, 10x AAA and 4x CR2032 or 4x AA, 13x AAA, 4x CR2032 and 4x LR44 to power all that lot, but at least all except the button cells (LR44 & CR2032) are rechargeable.
I use low self-discharge NiMH for the AA and AAA cells, and carry spares (although the likelihood of everything running out at the same time is pretty low).

If lighting is weaponry, then you must be Rambo!

However, I'm not far behind you with an RBS refective jacket, 4 seperate rear LED lights, an Ixon IQ and/or Light & Motion Vega up front, with a 6 led oxford torch as back up.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
alicej

Post by alicej »

I've got flashing LEDs in my pedals http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... r&istBid=t (cheaper on ebay, as always). I wonder if seeing a flashing orange light sometimes makes drivers think I might be about to turn right?

Along with Reelights and umpteen reflective stickers on the frame and mudguards, I'm fairly dazzling even before I do anything that takes any thought. I also leave some of these http://www.ebest24.co.uk/2-in-1-mini-le ... -3457.html permanently attached to the bike. Got loads of 'em for 50p each on ebay, so not really bothered if they get nicked, and not removing them means never forgetting to bring them with me.

I still use proper lights and a hi viz waistcoat thing too, obv.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Big T wrote:.... If lighting is weaponry, then you must be Rambo!....

Thinks :? We've not hearfrom Halit Osis recently never mind Rambo - the nuclear option. (scroll down)

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21366&
alicej

Post by alicej »

Where'd you get these ?
Phil_Lee wrote:flashing red led handlebar end plugs

That'd be another set of lights I don't have to remove when I leave the bike.
alicej

Post by alicej »

Hmm, one of the things suggested in the "big" link is that motorists are going to give more room to anything they suspect of being a police officer on a bike.

A while ago I went to a fancy dress party as a police officer (long story, don't ask...), and I wore a big flouro bomber jacket with strips of chequered black and white fabric sewn on it, which I'd cut from a chef's apron. Might try sewing some of those strips onto my normal flouro gillet thing for cycling, it was surprisingly effective at subconsciously conveying the "cop" vibe!
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Quite agree MickF, no matter what you wear or how many lights you have they will only see you if they are looking.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Some of the poor dears driving in their own little world need all the help they can get. Then there are the ones who are not in. The lights are on and nobody is at home.
That is without the ones who are not on this planet.
Keith Edwards
s2vmx

Post by s2vmx »

As a biker of many years the SMIDSY - 'Sorry Mate I didn't see you' - is all to common and I suspect for many motorists the fact that they are not looking is the key to most collisions with Pedestrians, Cyclists and Motorcyclists.

All we can do is try and attract their attention - but I suspect even with flashing lights things will stay asis.

Stu
essexman

Post by essexman »

I was driving out of saffron walden and saw this chap with an amazing arrangement on the back of his bike. Cars were treating him with enormous respect, i was really gobsmacked.

He was riding an old looking touring road bike, but on the rear he had a sort of trailer tail-board affair. It was white plastic, widish, two reflectors either end (where car lights would be), and then vertical hazard stripes in orange between them. It mimmiced a larger vehicle and drivers responded to him, in a sort of ahh, see thats how cyclists should look. The width was such that it covered the rear of his panniers + a tiny bit more.

It even sort of looked like you could have fitted a registration plate on it :!:
I hate snow.
essexman

Post by essexman »

and my faves\personal bugbear for the dark:

http://www.safe-turn.co.uk/bicycle-indicator-lights.php (nice on an mtb on a dark road)

http://www.buybuybicycles.com/winkku_indicators.html (mirror and an indicator!)

I dotn have these, just a glove with a crappy reflector on.
I hate snow.