Which B17?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
johnmac

Re: Which B17?

Post by johnmac »

I have three B17's and they were all comfy straight out of the box. One of them is a special with the copper rivets because sometimes, it's nice to own something nice.
s2vmx

Post by s2vmx »

I previosuly had a B17 Narrow - which despite many miles was still uncomfortable towards the end of the days riding (after approx 60 miles ish) - I sold it with the bike and then for the new cycle I bought a B17 standard - straight out of the box this has been very comfortable, and I would recommend one to anyone.

Stu
galavanter

Post by galavanter »

I have been using a basic B17 for about two years and am convinced it changes comfort with the weather some days its great other days it s awful mind you Ive tried a lot of saddles over the years and still have not found the perfect one it could be me
jonbott

Post by jonbott »

do they need a lot of lookin after?remember using neatsfoot oil on my brooks swallow in my youth,think the abusive riding I do now(riding in the rain leaving bike in shed at work wet..)may not be any good to a decent saddle :(
I`m def too old for this!
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

jonbott wrote:do they need a lot of lookin after?remember using neatsfoot oil on my brooks swallow in my youth,think the abusive riding I do now(riding in the rain leaving bike in shed at work wet..)may not be any good to a decent saddle :(

I tend to think of it like a leather shoe. If you left your leather shoes out in the rain, didn't polish them and so on then they wouldn't last long. The more you look after them the longer they last.
DaveP

Post by DaveP »

I'd forgotten about this thread.
Well, I eventually plumped for a B17Special in Honey and ordered one from Spa Cycles. After a very long wait, caused, they said, by the manufacturers being very busy, it just arrived out of the blue. With spanner and cover.
Its brilliant - luxury straight from the box. I guess it just fits :lol:
I was hoping for increased comfort on longer rides, but this is the next level!

BTW I believe Spa's explanation for the delay - no one else seemed to have them in stock :D
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
bretonbikes

Post by bretonbikes »

I've ridden most models and for me the most comfortable is the Brooks B17 standard. On the 'narrow' my ischial bones (the two you sit on) are on the chassis/rivets! I don't have child bearing hips, nor am I a whippet so for most I think that best. The Honey coloured are generally a bit better because the colour doesn't hide flaws in the leather like black and so the better skins are used. The important thing is to rmember that a Brooks is totally unlike a modern saddle and that you sit 'in' it rather than 'on' it - so most people end up with the saddle quite a bit 'nose-up' - it looks painfull but isn't! Personally I break them in by rubbing in neatsfoot oil until the brown stain darkens all over (the other advantage of the honey colour) - then ride them for a day. Next day out I rub them with a damp rag until the colour changes and the leather goes soft (this happens quite dramatically) - you test this by bending the side flaps up - at first they'll feel like cardboard, then go soft. Then ride the damp saddle. You'll find the saddle will by this time have taken on much of your shape - this is of course sacrilage...

See also - http://www.bretonbikes.com/brooks.htm
38 years of cycletouring, 33 years of running cycling holidays, 8 years of running a campsite for cyclists - there's a pattern here...
aide555

Post by aide555 »

I have a standard B17 on my Galaxy and never had any comfort problems and I can ride it all day. I picked it up quite cheap (from Wiggle I think) and thought let's see what all the fuss is about. The best thing is it keeps me a bit cooler in the summer months compared to a plastic type.