What chain lube do you use.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
manonbike

What chain lube do you use.

Post by manonbike »

Hi.
I was wondering what types of chain lubes people use, up to now I have generally used oil or spray on grease all of which have worked okay but obviously get in a terrible mess. Some years ago I tried a wax lubricant which I thought was usless, the chain rusted and it seemed to have no effect as a lubricant. Recently I have read the string on here re cleaning chains, at the moment I am working to Mick's procedure but using an ultrasonic tank to clean the chain which seems to work okay. I have also decided to try the original 'White Lightening' also suggested by Mick, which is a wax based lube, so we'll see how it goes on. So what do you use on your bike, also what are the other two grades of 'White Lightening' like?

Martyn.
DavidT

Re: What chain lube do you use.

Post by DavidT »

I only ride on the road. No off roading for me.

For many years I used Finish Line Dry lube, more than happy with that. Experiments with their wet lube were a failure - accumulated far too much muck for my liking.

Over the last year I've started using TF2 from Weldtite. Doesn't attract much muck at all. Price and availability is good too. It is apparently made in the UK. Which is nice - I'm happier directly supporting the UK economy where I can and if the product justifies it. IMO, TF2 does.

I am naturally in awe of Mick's chain cleaning regime, but must admit to not practicing it myself.
PW

Post by PW »

Cheap car oil bought by the gallon & decanted into Dad's old oilgun. Chainlife is of the order of 2,500 miles so I'm not about to use anything more expensive.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat!!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

Car engine oil here as well. I buy a smallish container of it every few years.
herzog

Post by herzog »

Rock n Roll Gold lube - keeps my chains clean and lubed. It's a bit pricey though and I'm thinking of trying something cheaper. I like the engine oil idea as despite not owning a car, I always seem to have some around the house.
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

3 in 1 is fine for a chain but not a Sturmey Archer hub. Gt 85 is also good so long as you put it on before every ride IMHO.
jonty
iow

Post by iow »

car engine oil.
tried wax based lubes and found that they did keep the drivetrain clean. but in spite of applying them to a clinically clean chain in far greater quantities than an oil based lube, they did not appear to provide enough lubrication. based on the increased noise from the chain.
mark
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The problem with car engine oil is that it's sticky.

I used it for many many years, but I found that it made the chain almost immediately dirty. If you catch your leg on the chain, it marks you. The sticky muck attracts more muck, and eventually the chain and sprockets are caked in black gunge.

I was like that, and it wasn't until I started reading bike mags and catalogues that I found there were bike-chain-specific lubes! It was a revelation to me, but too expensive to risk - I'm an advertising sceptic. I tried grease, 3in1, waterproof grease, I even experimented with cooking oil! Eventually I found LPS3 - expensive aerosol that goes on like WD40 but dries to a non-sticky grease. It lasted well and I bought tin after tin even though it was expensive per tin, but as it lasted perhaps 12 months, it was ok.

I used the last of it in about 1997, and now use White Lightning.

iow wrote: ....... on the increased noise from the chain.
My chain is silent.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

TF2 its quite clean and doesn't attract dirt/grit,I clean the chain when its looking mucky(about once a month at this time of year)with White spirit either in a chain bath or shook up in a pasta jar with the lid on followed by a washing up liquid bath and dried.I find TF2 to be water ressistant but if it rains all day perssistantly it will wash off,but so far its the best chain lube I've found, and over the years I've tried a few.
I changed a chain and cassette at the w/end (Sram 7sp 870) chain was 6,000miles old and was showing an eighth of an inch wear over a foot measured with a steel rule,the cassette had worn out three chains and I don't think it would have taken another without skipping.

I've tried Mick F's beloved White Lightening on a couple of occasions but found it useless in wet weather and the chain was very noisy in use.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Big T

Post by Big T »

Mick F wrote:If you catch your leg on the chain, it marks you.

We call that a 4th cat tattoo :D . ( A 4th cat is a novice road racer).
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

reohn2 wrote:I've tried Mick F's beloved White Lightening on a couple of occasions but found it useless in wet weather and the chain was very noisy in use.
Yes, I know. We've discussed this before.

This is obviously because we use different drive-trains.

I rode with Tim Eagles from Bridestowe all the way to Wadebridge a few months ago. In order to get to Bridestow, I had to ride for nearly two hours and up to the edge of Dartmoor. He and I rode together and I peeled off for home at Wadebridge and I rode the two hours home from there. I did in total nearly 90 miles that day.

The thing is, it poured down all day. I was like a drowned rat when I made it home.

Therefore:
1. My chain isn't noisy - ever. This must be because it's a Campag chain?
2. White Lightning kept my chain fine. It didn't wash off - though it did a bit - and my chain was unconcerned about the torrential rain. The chain needed a good re-lubing after the ride but was fine.
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Prolink Progold. Similar to White lighting but has a different friction reducing elements seems to keep Chains reasonably clean and they run quite.
NUKe

Post by 531colin »

prolink. clean. silent. easy.

caveats, exceptions...........

easy.... except before first use, you have to de-grease the whole drivetrain. still, the assiduous chain-cleaners among us do this often! With Prolink, the next time I de- grease anything is getting the manufacturers grease out of the next new chain.

silent....until it needs re-lubing, then it sounds like it needs re-lubing.

clean....once I got the hang of lubing after a ride. Lube before a ride and it picks up muck until it dries out.

I never found a drivetrain that was silent if it rains all day. Perhaps I will try Mick's Campag chains, but only when the road-salting season is behind us. Here in the frozen North, I think a lot of what we call chain wear is actually corrosion. Its commonplace for me to find the chain rusted into an "S" shape around the jockey wheels in a morning, and wear (as shown by a wear gauge) is patchy, not uniform.

OH....SNAP!!
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

Rather than car engine oil, I use Hypoid Gear Oil, which is a transmission oil of higher viscosity than usual car engine oils. I saw Chris Juden recommending this some decades ago, because it is particularly resistant forces inside the chain. It stays on remarkably well. I use about a litre per decade, and I have two bicycles parked out in the weather every working day. Does have a funny smell though.
meic

Post by meic »

I am carrying out rather unscientific trials of

Gear Oil
3 in 1 type oil
Cross country wet lube
Prolink
and White lightening

on various chains over the years.

I really can not detect any difference in chain life between them (Prolink is a bit too early in the test to say though)

They do have differences in ease of use, dirt pick up, corrosion resistance, transmission quietening and mileage between applications. In addition to price.

Least favourite is White Lightening but it is good for long tours in summer.
I suspect that in the end I will go for 3 in 1 applied liberally to help clean and a cloth.

I have not yet experienced grittiness in the chain using the white lightening but I did get it with the Prolink, I will pay more attention to what Colin said about applying it earler.
Yma o Hyd