Cannulated Screw hip repair

nez

Re: Cannulated Screw hip repair

Post by nez »

No need to apologise. It was just a kind of 'oh God ouch' way of sympathising. I sincerely hope you get better soon.
yours
John

goatwarden wrote:
nez dans le guidon wrote:Did any of you have to watch Dr Who from behind the sofa? I didn't, but this thread is having that effect on me. I find it terrifying. It's making me feel old and fragile though I haven't fallen off the bike in years (unless you count sideways when wearing clip-ons for the first time). :shock:

Sorry about that, I apologise. If it is any consolation, I hit a man-hole cover square onto my hip from normal road bike saddle height (60cm frame, I am about 1.87m tall and 95 kg) and I suspect I also had some forward momentum, imparted as a result of parting company from my bike on the ice. It was a hell of a crack and I thought at the time I would be lucky not to have done some damage. I have had very similar falls many times off-road, removed far more skin in the process, and note done any long term damage. It could be that age is creeping up on me and I am getting fragile, but I prefer to think it was just a coincidence of conditions which dictated that I hit the ground very hard and so was unlucky. Ironically about 30 minutes earlier I had been riding along in beautiful sunshine musing, in reflection upon the fate of various family members who have been having health problems recently, how lucky I was that, apart from dislocating a knee a couple of times in my late teens, I had never had any serious illness or injury. Pride comes before a what?
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

larfingravy wrote:Hope your recovery goes well goatwarden.

One important bit you've missed though - how's the bike doing :wink:

Obviouslythe most vital issue, my wife was completely unsurprised when, talking to her from a bed in A&E, I was giving her detailed instructions on where to pick up the bike from, how to fit it in the car, etc. Obviously it was far more important that she should safely recover the bike than visit me!

It was not too bed; minor scrape to the bar tape, end of r/h pedal a bit mashed (would have happened anyway, just noticable as these were newish pedals), about 1/3 of the leather thickness shaved off the outer edge of my Brooks saddle. All-in-all it came off much better than me. Unfortunately my wife lost one of the q/r springs from the front wheel whilst loading it into the car in darkness.

I had often wondered "what happens to your bike if you damage yourself away from home?" I had come off outside a pub, whose landlord kindly brought out a chair for me and I assumed he might be prepared to look after the bike. I got my helpers to place me adjacent to the bike so I could refit all the lights, etc. which had come off in the fall. A policeman was the first emergency service on the scene and, before I had asked him, he told me he had called for a van to collect my bike and that they would look after it at the station until my wife could collect it. Excellent service!
vrnwy73

Post by vrnwy73 »

Commiserations goatwarden

I came off my bike on some ice on 17th Dec last year. I was in sight of home, so managed to use the bike as a walking aid to get home.

For various reasons it took me 4 days to get to hospital and had the op the next day. I also had 3 cannulated screws inserted into the neck of the femur. I was given an epidural, like you.
My only discomfort with being awake during the op, was not knowing the etiquette. Do I speak to the surgeon? No. Do I talk to the anaesthetist? Yes. Who do I thank afterwards?
All those still awake. (some junior had been up most of night partying)
I was released 2 days later, on xmas eve.

My initial recovery period was the same - 6 weeks no weight bearing.
I don't have a record of my exercises but those supplied by brickatius sound very familiar.
After 4 weeks, I asked about using an exercise bike.
The Dr said no, so I stopped. I'd done a little the week before.

Like, snibgo, after the 6 weeks, I was told to increase the weight bearing slowly by percentage. The physio uses standing on scales to show how to gauge this.

It seems many people have problems keeping the weight off as the doctor seemed pleasantly surprised when I got the all clear after 11 weeks (10th March).
I believe if the healing does not progress or is interrupted, the prognosis is hip replacement.

The only issue I had during the 6 weeks was the foot on the now cannulated leg swelled quite noticeably when standing or sitting - worth mentioning to the doctor if you get this.
They seemed unsure why, but one of the physios I saw said it was not unexpected.

I was back on the bike on April 10th (1 month after the all clear) - very wobbly and nervous, but cycled to work during the summer and was fit enough to cycle up Ventoux from Bedoin in September.

This summer I have cycled, swam, played golf and done some walking, and the only issue is it is more comfortable to cycle than drive a car. On 2nd thoughts that's a bonus.

In August I was referred for a bone scan and have a healthy backbone but have Ostepenia in the legs. No medication required.
Note they scan your uninjured leg, not the injured one.

Other info:
I was 49 at the time, and have been cycling to work for 20 years.
I am 6' 5" & 80kg, so had little padding around the hip.

good luck to you & brickatius with your recoveries
Jon
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

Thanks, that's useful information. I was not actually conscious for the operation, hence why I know so little about it. The last thing I remember before the op was the anaesthetist trying to get the spinal in and commenting that my spine was calcified, he then pumped my wrist full of clear liquid and the next thing I remember was being back in the ward. He may have just put me lightly to sleep so that he could manhandle me into a better position to apply the spinal, or he may have put me under properly – I have no idea as nobody seemed to want to tell me anything about the operation afterwards. Great hospital, wouldn’t recommend it to anyone!

I don’t seem to have much bend in my knee yet (thigh muscles too tight) so couldn’t pedal an exercise bike if I wanted to. Hopefully I will get some proper physio advice soon.
Solitaire

Post by Solitaire »

I haven't anything constructive to add, but just want to say that I'm another victim. I slipped on wet leaves on November 22nd, the day before Goatwarden's crash and fell heavily on a boulder beside the path and ended up having two cannulated screws in my hip the day after. I was given the choice of spinal or general anaesthetic and went for the former - I thoroughly recommend it if anyone out there has the misfortune to be in a similar position. I have an undisplaced intracapsular fracture of the hip and was told that I should be OK because I'm "young and healthy". I'm female and 64 and consider myself to be getting on a bit, but when I discovered that the average age for this type of fracture is 78, I felt a bit more youthful.
I'm very relieved at finding all these comments, because on getting home from hospital I started combing the internet to find out about exercise and recuperation and could find nothing at all - it seems that you're written off when you have this injury because the vast majority of people to suffer it are much older and not expected to be active. So I'm delighted to read the exercises suggested by Brickatius and have already started doing them. There is a real temptation to overdo it because I feel fine and have had very little pain, thank goodness. I can't wait to get on my bike - even an exercise bike would do. There's been no mention of physio, so it's a matter of Do it Yourself and this forum is really welcome just now. (When CAN I get on the exercise bike?)
All the best for your recovery, Goatwarden.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

My commiserations, Solitaire. Welcome to the forum, and get well soon!

I also opted for a spinal, but it wasn't making me numb enough so then I also had a general.

I didn't start pedalling until I was told I could start weight-bearing, which was 6 weeks after the fracture. Even then, it was one-legged slow and easy pedalling.

DON'T overdo it: I was told I could damage the healing bone without realising it.

Jump up and down on your GP to get a physio, or clout him with your crutches.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

snibgo wrote:

+1 for this. Anybody who has this sort of trauma/operation/etc should be screaming at their GP on a daily basis until they arrange physio.

Just because the GP's waiting room is full of timewasters is no excuse for failing to arrange rehabilitation for people who want it . They are meant to be encouraging people to take exercise, for goodness sake.
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

nez dans le guidon wrote:goatwarden wrote:
nez dans le guidon wrote:
Did any of you have to watch Dr Who from behind the sofa? I didn't, but this thread is having that effect on me. I find it terrifying. It's making me feel old and fragile though I haven't fallen off the bike in years (unless you count sideways when wearing clip-ons for the first time).

This thread is also terrifying me and with good cause. I am sorry to read about your fall and pain. The only consolation is it has made me think again about riding in the ice.

Yesterday I rode my Mountain bike around the local country park. I was enjoying the ride, listening to the tyres on the snow and ice crackling away. That was until there was no noise from the tyres and I felt the bike twitch. As I was sitting on the floor I thought of this thread and realised just how lucky I had been.
I will stick with the Turbo trainer until the thaw. So I thank you for the timely reminder and hope you get better soon.
PS only damage to the bike was a cut toe clip strap.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

531colin wrote:
snibgo wrote:

+1 for this. Anybody who has this sort of trauma/operation/etc should be screaming at their GP on a daily basis until they arrange physio.

Just because the GP's waiting room is full of timewasters is no excuse for failing to arrange rehabilitation for people who want it . They are meant to be encouraging people to take exercise, for goodness sake.

531colin wrote:
snibgo wrote:

In all honesty, three weeks on, the injury is not really a problem; I have been very lucky in that I have hardly felt any pain throughout and am in a lucky position whereby my wife is the main breadwinner and so, despite being self-employed, my enforced reduced work output is not really a problem.

My problem is being ignored. I am still in the situation whereby nobody has properly explained my injury, its repair or my recovery.

I did get a call from the Matron at the hospital (in response to an e-mail to the patient liaison people) last week and she seemed genuinely shocked by the number of gaps in their system through which they seem to have allowed me to fall. I wouldn’t have liked to be in the shoes of my consultant (the one who has avoided me except when unconscious!) if he was on site following my talk with Matron.

I am now pursuing the practice manager at my GPs since they have made nu further communication with me since I saw the GP ten days ago and she agreed that early physio was important and she would refer me to a private physio; I phoned the practice yesterday to chase this up and the (thoroughly unhelpful and lacking the merest trace of empathy) receptionist told me that I was supposed to tell them who to refer me to and they couldn’t do anything until I did so; I pointed out that I am not a doctor and so how do I know who I should be referred to, but this appeared to have no influence. Following screaming many obscenities (sadly, in hindsight, after I put the ‘phone down) I resolved to give the practice manager the small piece of my mind which remains!

If they told me “We are sorry, but we can do nothing for you” I would be happy, at least I would know where I stand (on one leg). However what makes me seethe is that it appears acceptable to just leave me in limbo and tell me nothing.

My injury is typical of older, more vulnerable people. I suspect, had this happened to my 80 year old Mother, and had she been ignored the same way then she would have already ceased to be a burden.

Edwards wrote:
nez dans le guidon wrote:goatwarden wrote:
nez dans le guidon wrote:
Did any of you have to watch Dr Who from behind the sofa? I didn't, but this thread is having that effect on me. I find it terrifying. It's making me feel old and fragile though I haven't fallen off the bike in years (unless you count sideways when wearing clip-ons for the first time).

This thread is also terrifying me and with good cause. I am sorry to read about your fall and pain. The only consolation is it has made me think again about riding in the ice.

Yesterday I rode my Mountain bike around the local country park. I was enjoying the ride, listening to the tyres on the snow and ice crackling away. That was until there was no noise from the tyres and I felt the bike twitch. As I was sitting on the floor I thought of this thread and realised just how lucky I had been.
I will stick with the Turbo trainer until the thaw. So I thank you for the timely reminder and hope you get better soon.
PS only damage to the bike was a cut toe clip strap.

If it is any consolation, I was just extremely unlucky. I was on a road that looked safe, so not looking out for possible slippage, and I hit a very hard surface with all of my 95kg on one spot. I have had very similar falls off-road many times and have removed much greater quantities of skin in the process, but not broken anything before.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

goatwarden wrote: I saw the GP ten days ago and she agreed that early physio was important and she would refer me to a private physio;

Does this mean you have to pay for your physio? In a country that supports countless layabouts, scroungers, and criminals, both indiginous and foreign, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a taxpayer has to pay for his own treatment, so he can get back to work and paying taxes.

However, if you are paying, that gives you the choice. You can just phone the local physios. and find one you think you can work with, who has experience of rehabilitating people after your type of injury. When my knee hurt so much I couldn't do anything, thats what I did. When my private physio. had diagnosed a cartilage tear I went back to the NHS for the operation to repair it. My GP managed to refer me to hospital, but that was the extent of his interest. No examination, no follow up, no post op. physio. Never mind, I'm back working and paying taxes now.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I suppose different health authorities and PCTs (or whatever they are called this week) operate in different ways, and there will also be variety between individual staff, budget priorities and availability of physios. In hospital a physio taught me exercises and how to use the crutches. The hospital also arranged for a community physio, and she phoned me to arrange her first visit. It was all on the NHS.

Given the high rate of my muscle wastage and how wobbly my bad leg is even after doing exercise, I shudder to think how it might have been without any physio.

I approve of the modern emphasis on people taking responsibility for their own health but this shouldn't mean we all have to become experts on medicine, anatomy, physiology and the intricacies of the NHS and private practice.

In the immortal words of the great Sergeant Esterhaus: "And, hey, let's be careful out there!"
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

snibgo wrote:I suppose different health authorities and PCTs (or whatever they are called this week) operate in different ways, and there will also be variety between individual staff, budget priorities and availability of physios. In hospital a physio taught me exercises and how to use the crutches. The hospital also arranged for a community physio, and she phoned me to arrange her first visit. It was all on the NHS.

Yes, as I am learning, there is a lot of variation. I wish now that I had put myself back on the bike and pedalled the extra 30-odd miles on one leg to put myself within range of my local hospital. Had it been my left leg, then thois would have been almost possible, as I could have removed the crank; not so easy with the right, probably would have been a bit bumpy for the dangling limb! On hearing about your experience, I think I will plan all future accidents for Cambridge!

I have actually got somewhere today. The GP Prctice Manager was very sympathetic and arranged for the private physio to call me ten minutes later. I am going down there tomorrow for an assessment.

531colin wrote:
goatwarden wrote: I saw the GP ten days ago and she agreed that early physio was important and she would refer me to a private physio;

Does this mean you have to pay for your physio? In a country that supports countless layabouts, scroungers, and criminals, both indiginous and foreign, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a taxpayer has to pay for his own treatment, so he can get back to work and paying taxes.

However, if you are paying, that gives you the choice. You can just phone the local physios. and find one you think you can work with, who has experience of rehabilitating people after your type of injury. When my knee hurt so much I couldn't do anything, thats what I did. When my private physio. had diagnosed a cartilage tear I went back to the NHS for the operation to repair it. My GP managed to refer me to hospital, but that was the extent of his interest. No examination, no follow up, no post op. physio. Never mind, I'm back working and paying taxes now.

This is one of my particular gripes.I actually have medical insurance, courtesy of my wife's work, which is only too happy to pay for the physio. I have consistently told anyone medical this but it has still taken three weeks to get the referral (The insurance stipulates that the referral must come from a GP). Silly, silly, silly, but at least I have now made some progress.

I have pointed out to the GP,etc. that every week lost now probably means an extra month before I can work properly again (I don't fancy climbing ladders or carrying boards with one leg) but the bigger message of me being a drain on society rather than a contributor seems to mean nothing to them.
Solitaire

Post by Solitaire »

After reading all this I will definitely agitate for physio, though locally on the NHS may be impossible; we live in a remote area and the local Nhs physio has recently been withdrawn (cuts, I expect). I will also try to take it easy after reading all your warnings, thouogh sitting isn't my favourite occupation (they said I was like a caged animal in hospital) Actually, sitting and lying in bed are most problematic, since I wriggle such a lot, and seem to cause the most discomfort.
In hospital I was almost force fed painkillers and only stopped taking paracetamol 2 days ago, being worried that they might mask the slight pain which, presumably, is giving me a warning not to wriggle so much. I know that circulation is important in healing, but it's difficult to maintain it if you can only do very gentle exercise. I tried a hot water bottle today and have started massaging my thigh and hip with an essential oil muscle rub which I bought years ago and never used. I think it did some good so shall continue with it.
The other handy hint to pass on (though you've all probably done it by now) is to wind generous amounts of handlebar tape round the handles of my elbow crutches - it really makes them more user-friendly. It's really great to read of other people's experience of this injury.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

I use cycling gloves with the crutches. I have seen folk use foam rubber.

An article in my local county council magazine describes a "New physio direct service for Cambridge City and South Cambridgeshire [and Huntingdonshire] residents". Referrals can be by GP or ourselves. Not much use for those who don't live here, of course, but other areas may have similar facilities.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I am on the point of passing out reading all these posts on operations and aneasthetics. I seem to have developed a bit of a phobia on this some time in the past. I think it stems from when I was a kid and had some teeth out at the dentist using that horrible gas stuff they used to use. Several years ago I had an unbilical heria op using local and almost legged it from the operating table. Just as well I couldn't see an emergency exit anywhere. As for a general, the thought of it is enough to send me into a panic. I don't have this sort of problem with anything else. Get well soom Goatwarden
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.