Bike for 3 to 4 year old.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
JW123

Re: Bike for 3 to 4 year old.

Post by JW123 »

Dear All,

I'm humbled by the breadth and depth of your replies - with photos as well Kell, thank you!

I think we will taking the advise on the balance bike first, what a great way to introduce our little ones to cycling. We will certainly be keeping our eyes open for an Islabike or something similar. Just one comment having read your advice - my first bike was donated by a friend of my parents, was very old, weighed a ton and was repainted by Dad in green and yellow with a bright yellow "John" on the frame. In short, I loved that bike and still do! Thanks folks.
Kell

Bike for 3 to 4 year old.

Post by Kell »

Vee wrote:I 100% agree that an Isla Bike is worth every penny. They are great to ride, children love them, have fun and get off to a great start with their cycling. And it is VERY difficult to get hold of a second hand one! I was unable to find one at any price. If you phone Isla bikes they are very helpful re measuring the child and giving sensible helpful advice re size of bike without any pressure.

Part of the reason it might be difficult to get one SH is that Islabikes will buy them back providing you buy another Islabike. It's less hassle than selling eBay I guess.
StuartW

Post by StuartW »

I'm another enthusiast for Islabikes ( after trying alternatives). the quality is superb and resell pretty well.
The key thing is the bikes are so light the children love them.
Please don't bother with stabilisers , they are totally unnecessary .

3 year old - Islabikes Rothan
4 year old - Islabikes Cnoc 14 , or possibly a Dawes blowfish ( another aluminium bike) if your budget wont stretch to £160!

(PS I have to admit someone amongst her staff at Ludlow is bordering on rude. I've had a couple of events ( email and phone calls, similar to those listed above, where I would have possibly taken my business elsewhere , but there is simply no alternative.
I'm sure Isla is a lovely person and would be shocked. Perhaps she should start recording all phone calls because her customers deserve better )
Attachments
Islabikes Rothan
Islabikes Rothan
Last edited by StuartW on 24 Mar 2011, 9:47pm, edited 1 time in total.
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

When my kids were that age or a bit odler they had tiny cheap bikes from Halfords with stabilisres and I used to tie a rope to the handlbars and pull them along, they used to love it.