best value battery light

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
seph

best value battery light

Post by seph »

For my commuter i have a wonderful dynamo hub/iq fly set up, but for ice and snow i have schwalbe snow stud tyres on a different bike, so i need another front light, and a battery one would seem more versatile.
What is the best value front light on the market? my commute includes lengthy sections of unlit Derbyshire! ( but all on road)
Hope vision 1 ? probably at the top of my pice range at £80 are any of the cheaper led fronts up to the job?

i'd appreciate other peoples opinions.
meic

Re: best value battery light

Post by meic »

The Busch and Muller Ixon IQ is the battery version of your IQ fly, with an identical light beam on high power.
It runs 4-6 hours on high power or 20-30 hours on low power.

It is not as bright as the Hope 1 but I think it has a more useable light beam and it doesnt just turn off when the batteries can no longer hold a power level.

If you buy a ride n charge for around £20 you could add your Ixon to your dynamo on the other bike to charge batteries while touring.
Yma o Hyd
PeterBL

Post by PeterBL »

The Philips LED Bikelight is probably the best bike light for on road usage, but quite expensive at around £80 street price. Much brighter than your IQ Fly, though.
squeaker

Re: best value battery light for road use

Post by squeaker »

Trelock LS730 (37 euro delivered) or LS740 (51euro delivered) for road use on a budget, IMO. (Not tried the 'textile' bracket, but the solid one - on the 730 link - works well.)
HTH
"42"
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

For occasional use it might be worth a gamble on one of those Magicshine lights.

This is the lower output unit, but it's £45. Plenty of power for road use.

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/MJ-838-Ju ... set/4706-v
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Just bought one of the brighter ones for £55, the seller is in Germany so no import tax:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-SSC-P7-1200Lm ... 0570070433