D Tek still in business?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
rand

D Tek still in business?

Post by rand »

In December 2011 I spoke with Kevin Dunseath, Of D Tek recumbents. Since that initial phone call from him, I've phoned him, but telephone number he gave me was incorrect and I've sent him three emails, requesting full postal address, as I wish to buy a used recumbent trike, but to date I've had no reply. Does anyone know if D Tek is still operating, or perhaps Kevin has been taken ill and his business is temporarily closed?
Any info would be appreciated.

David Rand.
eileithyia

Re: D Tek still in business?

Post by eileithyia »

Dec 2011? Time Travel?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
goatwarden

Post by goatwarden »

I hear the snow will be godd in December this year, perhaps he has dematerialised to a ski trip in the future? It seems wise not to panic for a couple of weeks; the building industry seems to be taking an extended Christmas break which may extend to July.
zoxed

Post by zoxed »

IIRC I have often read that Kevin is notoriously hard to get hold of by post/email.
You could try asking at: http://www.bhpc.org.uk/forum/.
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

What kind of machine are you interested in? I live in Bury St Edmunds and have a tadpole trike that you could always take for a spin.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
david143

Post by david143 »

I have spoken with Kevin a few times this year.

Best form of contact is phone if you need a direct response.

D.Tek - CAMBRIDGESHIRE
Main Street
Little Thetford
Cambridgeshire
CB6 1BR
Tel: 01353 648177
dtekhpvs@btconnect.com
byegad

Post by byegad »

Kevin undertakes long trips dropping off and picking up machines. He is therefore somewhat hard to contact.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
D.TEK HPVS

Post by D.TEK HPVS »

rand wrote:In December 2011 I spoke with Kevin Dunseath, Of D Tek recumbents. Since that initial phone call from him, I've phoned him, but telephone number he gave me was incorrect and I've sent him three emails, requesting full postal address, as I wish to buy a used recumbent trike, but to date I've had no reply. Does anyone know if D Tek is still operating, or perhaps Kevin has been taken ill and his business is temporarily closed?
Any info would be appreciated.

David Rand.

Yes, very much still in business. We have apologised to Mr Rand for giving
him the wrong telephone number, our mistake entirely. :oops:
Our correct contact
details are as posted by david143

I received the first Email from DR on Sunday, December 19, 2010 11:50 AM :-
"Due to arthritis in wrists, elbow, shoulders and neck, I am seriously considering buying a secondhand recumbent trike etc etc"

I responded within 20 mins by email

I received his response with contact telephone number late Sunday afternoon

We spoke on the phone the next day 20th Dec 2010

I was advised that he wanted to AUDAX the trike and had a budget of £500 max :)
I gently explained that the choice would be very limited ....
.....but I would put my thinking cap on and attempt to come back with a few ideas .
We resumed contact after I returned from Xmas/New year holiday break
Since my return I have sent another ten Emails with ideas and advice plus photos to DR
As a result of this information from me and other sources DR's budget was adjusted to £700 at the start of 2011
The trike on the top of the wish list is the famous ICE Qnt hardtail
14 days later DR has advised he is willing to pay up to £1000
Can anyone help please :wink:
david143

Post by david143 »

So, basically he is after a top trice for a lot less than half price (by the time you add all options).

Yes please :)

Can't see anyone selling at that price unless there is something wrong though.

If you want a well made trice that will last and do the job I would start with a Budget of at least £2400 for new, and £1500 plus for a looked after second hand.
byegad

Post by byegad »

Sounds like an unrealistic expectation to get such a trike for, even now with his increased budget, only a little more than half price. Frankly of all human powered machines a trike is the most likely to retain its value on the second hand market.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

Oranges are not the only fruit. There are other trikes around, and while they may not have the cachet and engineering excellence of Trice machines they are perfectly capable of doing the job. Ebay and patience is probably the way to go.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
david143

Post by david143 »

Yes, there are cheap trikes you can buy. They most definitely are not ICE, or Catrike, or HP, or GreenSpeed though.
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

Low price trikes would include the folding Trident (£1000) and Mantis (£1200), both available from http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/canvas_corner/

But I have no experience of them, or knowledge of the quality, or the dealer.
david143

Post by david143 »

.......and in the USA I know they sell a recumbent trike there for $800.

One thing I did learn is that buying cheap generally means you get cheap.

There will always be exceptions though, but that is why it is a general rule!

If you view the cost of buying on a cost per mile, then buying cheap doesn't really pay. An ICE will last for years and likely be more cost effective than buying 2 cheaper ones available.
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

Most 'bents are the product of small, almost cottage, industries without consequent economies of scale. Many are also built in countries such as the UK, USA, or Germany, where labour costs are high compared to the Far East. They are also bought mostly by riders who are of a different age group, perhaps perceived as having more discretionary income, and are therefore priced at what the makers think the market will stand.

I accept the argument that buying 'cheap' may be less sensible in the long term, but buying 'inexpensive' doesn't necessarily mean one has to accept vastly inferior goods. I have owned what purported to be high quality German-engineered cars that were a delight to drive, but they proved anything but reliable in the long term. I have also owned common or garden brands, such as Ford and Vauxhall, that turned out to be practical, durable and ultimately a better choice.

Bicycles and trikes are not vastly complicated pieces of kit: if the geometry of a frame and steering design are correct, then other components can be replaced and upgraded when worn, or as finances permit. I have owned a beautiful high-end German Radius 'bent, but it did not do much differently from many other, supposedly lesser machines. My TW 'bents trike is engineered/designed well, if not as visually captivating as a Trice for instance. It does not have the cachet of 'better' brands, but it works. One can buy from the Far East and get what is a bargain compared to trikes made elsewhere. You may have to forego a visit to the factory, bespoke options, or fantastic dealer support, but those things come at a cost.