Memory Map

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
morzov

Re: Memory Map

Postby morzov » 14 Jan 2011, 12:25pm

I have to say I'm a fan of Memory Map .

A number of us go touring and the bugbear used to be stopping fairly frequently at changes of direction and having to get a map out to decide which was the right direction to go.

With MM, if you've plotted a route then its easy to download the waypoints to a Garmin Geko which is mounted on the handlebars. This then gives a clear indication by way of an arrow which way to go at junctions and changes of direction. Print out the map on waterproof paper as a back up and you've got a fairly foolproof system.

Kevin K

Postby Kevin K » 18 Jan 2011, 11:24am

John in Leeds wrote:Just a quick warning to those who would like to purchase the 1.50000 Landranger maps from Anquet, they are not up to date. The new road to Mallaig is shown as proposed only. I think the road has been in for 10 years but not sure.
I found this too and contacted Anquet on Friday to ask about it. I received a response yesterday. Apparently, their download server had the wrong version which they've now updated. A bit of pain to re-download at 3GB , but full marks for a quick response.

I got a great deal upgrading my GB 1:50K mapping - £61, but a £122 credit against my account (i.e. an additional £61 to spend on other mapping).
Kevin K. Glasgow

johnsie

Postby johnsie » 18 Jan 2011, 1:13pm

I too have e-mailed Anquet, but no response yet.

As you say, a bit of a pain having to redownload the lot, but well worth it.

Have you got the hang of the databases yet?

I tried last night to record several circuits that start and finish from my house, but could not seem to plot separate rotes that overlap in parts.

Any tips?
Screech like a Sirrus!

John in Leeds

Postby John in Leeds » 18 Jan 2011, 8:00pm

Kevin K wrote:
John in Leeds wrote:Just a quick warning to those who would like to purchase the 1.50000 Landranger maps from Anquet, they are not up to date. The new road to Mallaig is shown as proposed only. I think the road has been in for 10 years but not sure.
I found this too and contacted Anquet on Friday to ask about it. I received a response yesterday. Apparently, their download server had the wrong version which they've now updated. A bit of pain to re-download at 3GB , but full marks for a quick response.

I got a great deal upgrading my GB 1:50K mapping - £61, but a £122 credit against my account (i.e. an additional £61 to spend on other mapping).

When I contacted Anquet with a problem loading maps on my HTC HD2 I had a response in less than a minute and the problem was quickly solved. I still have some issues with the Pocket pc usage but have not contacted them yet and will not until I've tried everything (don't want to appear too stupid :roll: )

johnsie

Postby johnsie » 18 Jan 2011, 11:10pm

Kevin K wrote:

Another confirmation - just downloaded the Eastern England 1:5000 and can now see the recent road changes around Norwich which were omitted when I got the maps 10 days ago.
Screech like a Sirrus!

John in Leeds

Postby John in Leeds » 19 Jan 2011, 11:50am

johnsie wrote:I too have e-mailed Anquet, but no response yet.

As you say, a bit of a pain having to redownload the lot, but well worth it.

Have you got the hang of the databases yet?

I tried last night to record several circuits that start and finish from my house, but could not seem to plot separate rotes that overlap in parts.

Any tips?

Probably daft for me to offer advice as I'm still getting to grips with the Pocket pc side, however it seems the GPS records the data in the file named 'GPS Livetrack' and each time it is used rewrites the waypoint list. So how about saving the GPS Livetrack at the end of each run with another name to be used later.

tykeboy2003

Anquet question

Postby tykeboy2003 » 19 Jan 2011, 12:20pm

A question about Anquet, is it possible to select an area of any size and export it to a JPEG retaining all the information?

I ask because I use Trekbuddy on my phone and get my maps from streetmap.co.uk (OS 1:50,000). In order to get a reasonable area I have to do many screen dumps and paste them into a JPEG which I then have to manually "stitch" together using painbrush. I would be prepared to pay £61 for the whole of the UK so long as I am then able to easily create a JPEG of an area of my choice.

johnsie

Postby johnsie » 25 Jan 2011, 1:08pm

johnsie wrote:
Kevin K wrote:

Another confirmation - just downloaded the Eastern England 1:5000 and can now see the recent road changes around Norwich which were omitted when I got the maps 10 days ago.

Had a mail from Anquet last night - they tell me that the maps are usually updated in July, and that they mail out their customers what new versions are available - sounds good if you buy the maps once and they are updated *forever*.
Screech like a Sirrus!

DaveFY7

Postby DaveFY7 » 27 Jan 2011, 1:20am

At the moment I am very happy using an android GPS phone for tour mapping.

Orux maps http://www.oruxmaps.com/index_en.html is an excellent (free) Android app for offline mapping and I use it in conjunction with home made maps created using Mobile Atlas Creator (free) http://mobac.dnsalias.org/.

Mobile Atlas Creator allows the user to create zoomable maps using different scales from a wide variety of mapping sources. No data connection is required if your phone has an installed GPS chip and the maps created installed onto the phone.

The downside is having enough power to run the phone for longer trips. To alleviate the problem I use a USB charger powered by 18650 lithium batteries. Works a treat as the batteries are the same used for my front bike light. http://www.dealextreme.com/p/white-ligh ... ters-18883

I also use Bikehike for planning routes, which are then downloaded to PC and then uploaded to the Orux folder on the phone.

There is still a problem in having to recharge batteries on longer tours which I have now addressed by investing in a Son 28 Dynamo hub (and lights). This should now make me less dependent on hotels/hostels etc and offer much greater flexibility towards the end of the day.

There are a wide variety of mapping/navigation apps on the Android market to suit most peoples needs.

The simple approach for touring would be to take paper mapping but I'm a gadget man through and through. Sorry. Can't help it. :D

tykeboy2003

Trekbuddy

Postby tykeboy2003 » 27 Jan 2011, 9:01am

I downloaded the latest version of what used to be called "Trekbuddy Atlas Creator" now called "Mobile Atlas Creator" and was delighted to find Multimap OS on its list of sources and was able to download OS Landranger and Explorer maps for any area of the country. I can also use BikeHike to plot a route which Trekbuddy overlays on the screen allowing the route to be followed easily.

I am now sorted - and its all free which certainly appeals to the Yorkshireman in me.