I am on TV and radio today …. East Midlands or online.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Pizza_man

I am on TV and radio today …. East Midlands or online.

Post by Pizza_man »

Hi,

Talking about my weight loss, I halved my weight (losing over 16 stones) in 6 months :shock: … 9lbs a week on average :roll: …. Ridicules I know, Very strict diet and LOTS of exercise, mostly spinning and cycling…. I have also created an exercise app (spinning) for smart phones (due out next week), so don’t mind a bit of coverage. :wink:

Did LEJOG a few years back, went down from 32 stones to 27, but put it all (and a bit more) back on again. I am now less than 16 stones….

Going to be on East Midlands Today this evening, 6:30pm show suspect will be featured near the end? If you live outside the east midlands you should be able to watch online http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007tj48 (not there yet, should be able to watch live or up 24 hours later….).

Not seen yet but they did lots of filming on my bike and on an exercise bike (am lucky enough to have gym, pool, Jacuzzi etc in my building…)

Me on the radio :- http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... tammer.../

3 hour show, stammer bit is not referring to me…. Should be available online for 7 days.

My Intro 2:29 (not worth listening too),
Start of interview 2:33-2-38,
2nd part interview 2:44-2:51 (inc lighter life plug…)

Should be more media stuff coming up…. Hopefully doing some national stuff over the next few weeks..

Thanks
Simon
Trigger

Re: I am on TV and radio today …. East Midlands or online.

Post by Trigger »

Hi Simon,

I saw you this dinnertime on EMT, I thought I remembered reading about your LEJOG on here and recognised you from the intro.

Didn't see much of your bike, just a quick shot of you donning the helmet and cycling away from camera, maybe there will be more on the evening show.

Well done with the weight loss, awesome achievement!
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Hi
Congratulations and I hope you've permanently changed your lifestyle. Were you not tempted or advised to try and do it over a longer period, say a year or 2 years rather than 6 months?
Tremendous achievement.
What height are you by the way?
jonty
lobsterboyuk

Post by lobsterboyuk »

Congratulations - amazing achievement!
Pizza_man

Post by Pizza_man »

Online now http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/nottingham/ ... 357514.stm

Was surprised what they showed on TV, was OK, but not what I was expecting. They did not mention anything about my diet (did program called lighter life), said had I had lost 19lbs per week when it was 9lbs, and made a few other mistakes….

But got to see me on stationary bike in my gym and cycling off (shows less in online story), also saw a bit of my app (Virtual Spin Instructor, guides people thought custom spin workouts, using onscreen instructions combined with audio instruction (provided by professional spin instructor) combined with their own music, hopefully released next week….).

Jonty, I am 6’2”.It’s had to explain to a person who has never had a serous weight problem, but do you not think I had been trying for years? Did everything I could think of including cycling LEJOG, but have struggled with weight my whole life (as has everyone in my family).

Would not recommend a diet like this to a person slightly overweight, trying to loss weight for the first time. But it was going to kill me, have been on the waiting list for a gastric bypass for awhile, compared to that 4 soups a day (containing 100% of your RDA + conforms with NICE guidelines) no longer seems extreme….

Was supervised by my doctor (checkups every 4 weeks) and a NHS dietician (outside of the program and also had a great counsellor thought lighter life), Also did extensive research online and spoke to many people (mainly thought the process of getting on waiting list for surgery), Everyone involved in the area knows there is no problem with doing it fast, in fact it’s the preferred way once you start to get into the morbidly obese category.

For people with less to loss, it’s better to adopt a new sustainable diet and pattern of exercise, but once you get past a certain point you need to do something more radical. If I lost 2lbs every single week, would have taken me well over 2 years to lose the weight, and something always goes wrong….

Have been reintroducing normal food for the last 8 weeks, been a challenge, but have more or less sustained my current weight over this time.
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

Very well done Simon. That is remarkable weight loss. You must be elated. :D
Jonty

Post by Jonty »

Simon
That's amazing and I'm full of admiration. It's given me some insights into the issue. It's made me realise that I'm lucky to be able to eat anything and probably over-eat without putting on much weight.
I suppose once you get to a certain weight you can't exercise much and you then enter a spiral of decline with decreasing levels of exercise combined with ever increasing weight gain.
Thank God it's not something I've ever had to worry about.
jonty