Setting Correct Seat Height

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
beachcomber

Setting Correct Seat Height

Post by beachcomber »

I have always set my saddle by the heal on the 'bottom' pedal method and general 'feels right'.
Now I want to see if the height remains the same when I employ a different method. I want to use the method where a book is placed between the thighs and it's position marked on the wall. The figure is multiplied and the result gives the measurement between the centre of the bottom bracket axle and the top of the seat.
My questions. Is the measurement more accurate if done in bare feet or with riding shoes on?
Is the correct mulitiplying figure 1.06?
I have a memory of using this method many years ago and seem to remember when taking the measurement of height, we held the book in place and measured up and over the book and back to the floor. The result after multiplication was divided by two. I have looked on the net but been unable to find this exact method. Have I confused it with a different method?
Does anyone know a better way without the purchase of special measuring devices?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Setting Correct Seat Height

Post by Mick F »

Any method I have used have always come up with a different figure than the one I use - heel method.

Heel Method has served me well, and I'm comfortable with it. I see no reason to change it.

However, all people have different physiology and needs, let alone different bikes' geometries and uses. Because of this, you have to set the saddle height by using your experience and comfort, coupled with pedalling efficiency. Time will tell when you start riding, and trial and error is a good thing too.

Heel Method only gets you in the right ball park, as do any of the other methods.
Mick F. Cornwall
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

Mick F wrote:
Any method I have used have always come up with a different figure than the one I use - heel method.

Heel Method has served me well, and I'm comfortable with it. I see no reason to change it.

However, all people have different physiology and needs, let alone different bikes' geometries and uses. Because of this, you have to set the saddle height by using your experience and comfort, coupled with pedalling efficiency. Time will tell when you start riding, and trial and error is a good thing too.

Heel Method only gets you in the right ball park, as do any of the other methods

I agree with that Mick F, I used both and there was virtually no difference - of course there is the question of saddle setback which has been done to death in another thread. The only caveat I would add is to make changes gradually so that a change of say 1cm in height is made over a matter of weeks rather than in one go.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

beachcomber wrote:... Does anyone know a better way without the purchase of special measuring devices?

I'm a heel-on-the-pedal man and the book-between the-thighs means nothing to me (sounds a bit reminiscent of an old joke about effective familiy planning :wink: )

A dead easy method is to have a look at your profile as you ride past a parade of shops. Full attention on the road ahead of course, and don't do it in lycra: you will either start dreaming of winning the TdeF or, you will shatter your delusions (like I do :oops: ) Leg should be slightly bent at the knee, as I'm sure you already know. Overall, the main test is "Do you feel comfy, especially in the knee department?
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

thirdcrank wrote:
beachcomber wrote:... Does anyone know a better way without the purchase of special measuring devices?

I'm a heel-on-the-pedal man and the book-between the-thighs means nothing to me (sounds a bit reminiscent of an old joke about effective familiy planning :wink: )

A dead easy method is to have a look at your profile as you ride past a parade of shops. Full attention on the road ahead of course, and don't do it in lycra: you will either start dreaming of winning the TdeF or, you will shatter your delusions (like I do :oops: ) Leg should be slightly bent at the knee, as I'm sure you already know. Overall, the main test is "Do you feel comfy, especially in the knee department?

I've tried looking at my profile in a shop window. I looked like Harry Worth.I was turning left at the time. Maybe I should loose the trilby! :lol:
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

beachcomber wrote:I have always set my saddle by the heal on the 'bottom' pedal method and general 'feels right'.
Now I want to see if the height remains the same when I employ a different method. I want to use the method where a book is placed between the thighs and it's position marked on the wall. The figure is multiplied and the result gives the measurement between the centre of the bottom bracket axle and the top of the seat.

This method takes no account of crank length

I use 109% of inside leg for the measurement of pedal to top of seat hieght. The inside leg measurement is taken in shoes and about the easiest way to measure is sitting on a book against the wall.I f I set the bike up by using heel onthe pedal leg slightly bent in the 5 o'clcok position I usually get the same result. Sheldon Brown suggests several methods for example putting the seat up in 5mm increments until its uncomfortable and the dropping it by 5mm
NUKe

Post by 531colin »

I think any of these "magic formulas" , that's "heel on pedal" or "book up your crotch" only ever give you a place to start.
Here is my best shot at the "book up your crotch" method..http://www.spacycles.co.uk/info/bikesizing.php
Note that we have found experienced riders saddle height to be between ONE inch and THREE inches more than this measurement. In other words its next to useless for setting your saddle height, useable with caution for working out frame size.
My personal measurement is leg plus an inch. I like to sit well behind the pedals.
From memory, Mick F. was leg plus three inches, Mick uses "road" cleats and sits further forward than me.

I think the best thing to do if you are worried about your riding position is ask people you ride with what you look like.
meic

Post by meic »

I find my seat height by riding up hills while seated.

Even one centimetre down and the muscles on the top of my thighs start complaining loudly.
Yma o Hyd
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

My experience is that a bike that has a slightly different geometry needs a slightly different saddle-BB height. Therefore, any formula can only be an approximation, a starting point.
beachcomber

Post by beachcomber »

snibgo wrote:My experience is that a bike that has a slightly different geometry needs a slightly different saddle-BB height. Therefore, any formula can only be an approximation, a starting point.

I think the above comment hits the nail on the head.
On one bike I have yet to find the correct height.
Another I changed the saddle and then changed it again. First one is a tourer second one is light weight fixed.

I think some of it is due to the ageing process. I changed the set up on my audax bike last year due to pain in my hands. This was moving the saddle forward slightly and fitting an upswept stem to get a more upright position with less weight on the bars.

My left knee is shot. It is often painful however I set the bike up. So I can only rely on my right knee to tell me if my set up is any good.

I've been trying the adjustment by small inciments for a while. I wondered if the 109% method would achieve the same or similar length to that I've set by the heel n feel method.

Thanks for the advice thus far :)
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

meic wrote:I find my seat height by riding up hills while seated.

Even one centimetre down and the muscles on the top of my thighs start complaining loudly.

Yeah, I just know when it doesn't feel right, as above when riding up hills; also the tendency to move about to readily. On the other hand, when the saddle is too high you may have much reduced for aft movement, but accompanied by a general sense of stretch. The hip bones will also waddle side to side from the legs being over extended. Not good.
irc

Post by irc »

Just checked my tourer and my shopper. Both are 38" top of saddle to pedal. The book/crotch/wall measurement is 35". So x 1.09 gives near enough exactly my 38" (38.15). My plus 3 inches is at the big end of the range of difference. But then with size 12 feet and starting with a bigger than average leg length I would expect that.

I've always set my saddle height by the heel on the pedal as a start then adjusting it to find the point where it "felt right" and my leg was almost straight but my hips were not tilting during the pedal motion.

I'm amazed the x 1.09 method seems to work so well. For me anyway.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?
BigG

Post by BigG »

Using the heel method, I always find it difficult to keep my hips absolutely level - and this can make a big difference (perhaps my hips are broader than yours!). I have found that reversing the left crank to be in the same direction as the right crank and placing both heels on the pedals avoids this problem and, for me at least, has never required a second adjustment. I have tried up to 1 cm up and 1 cm down, but have always finished where I started. With both heels (without shoes) on the pedals, it should be possible to take about half your weight on the heels without straining. This procedure is simple with modern cranks and much more accurately repeatable than the one heel method. I hope that this helps.
melon

Post by melon »

i use the ride it and see how i feel method, and keep adjusting it for a while. if its wrong pain reveals itself during the ride.

i can also normally judge it by the angle of my ankle-foot on the pedal.

i actually think saddle height is pretty easy to work out, i find getting the angle/fore/aft alot more difficult!