Ahhhh booking bike on Train !

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mike777

Ahhhh booking bike on Train !

Post by Mike777 »

Hi all

Contacted cross countrty trains to try and book my bike on a train............

I have 2 trains to catch on the outward and 2 on the returned. Contacted the main number a spoke to a person who took about 10 minutes to understand what I wanted to do which was check there were spaces available. To check just one train took about 10 minutes and whilst on was on hold. To be told I needed to buy a ticket for each section and then phone back :cry: :cry: :cry:

I gave up at this point..............surely there must be an easier way ! ! ! !

Mike
richards

Re: Ahhhh booking bike on Train !

Post by richards »

Mike777 wrote:surely there must be an easier way ! ! ! !

No there isn't. On my regular trips from London to Evesham you can book on some trains and not on others. So on that route I don't even bother booking because no-one ever checks. On the other hand I was once stopped from getting on a Manchester train because I hadn't booked my bike. Remarkbly the inspector threatened to ban me from the station when I told him he was an officious bustard. You can't win.

Having said that I find that if I go to the station booking office people are always helpful and knowledgeable. Try that if you can.

Enjoy your ride when you get there

Richard
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

book it online, I find it is far easier that way as you can just book the bike in if spaces are available which the online system should tell you. Sorry if that doesn't help any.
Mike777

Post by Mike777 »

Tonyf33 wrote:book it online, I find it is far easier that way as you can just book the bike in if spaces are available which the online system should tell you. Sorry if that doesn't help any.

I checked and checked the website and could not see any facility to book a bike space............

Can you please point me in the right direction !

Thanks

Mike
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

The East Coast mainline has a web booking facility, which can be used to book bikes on any service where they need booked (East Coast Trains). After National Express took over from GNER and commenced the process of destroying an excellant service, the introduction of online booking was the point in their favour.
John-D

Post by John-D »

Mike777 wrote:I checked and checked the website and could not see any facility to book a bike space............

Thanks

Mike

When I booked the Leeds to Penzance Cross Country train I had to book the seat on line then ring to reserve a space for the bike. I booked on the first day the advance tickets became available. It seemed an odd way to run a railway when only booking on one train, let alone four!

When the tickets arrived there was no mention of the bike reservation. I emailed and they sent a screen dump showing it had been reserved. Still not convinced there was anything in place to prevent others just getting on at the stop before and filling the limited bike spaces. Fortunately it all worked out fine though.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I had a similar experience to that of Mike777. I had to book the bike separately by phone but I was given a booking number and was told to quote that to the guard. No one ever asked me for it though so I could have had no booking. On hte Fort Willian to Glasgow train the racks ended up full although I was the first one on at Spean Bridge.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
Big T

Post by Big T »

Use the East coast website and book online. You can book for any service, reserve your bike space at the same time and they send you all the tickets, including bike resevation tickets, together.

I booked on there for Penzance to Derby (which is a Cross country trains route) and the process is simple and hassle-free. you can book any train service anywhere in the country.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
John-D

Post by John-D »

Thanks Big T, I'll remember that for next time.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Mike777 wrote:
Tonyf33 wrote:book it online, I find it is far easier that way as you can just book the bike in if spaces are available which the online system should tell you. Sorry if that doesn't help any.

I checked and checked the website and could not see any facility to book a bike space............

Thanks

Mike

I always use the national rail line main website http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ it covers everywhere
Mike777

Post by Mike777 »

Tonyf33 wrote:
Mike777 wrote:

Thanks

Mike

I always use the national rail line main website http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/ it covers everywhere

Site is ok for booking ticket but not a bike space .... unless I have missed it some where !

Thanks

Mike
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

More trouble than it's worth these days unless you go on the same route a lot and get to know the system.

Just as I don't go to as many football matches these days because it is usually impossible to turn up at the ground and get in, I won't take my bike on a train either. I liked it when I could decide to go somewhere on the spur of the moment, cycle to the station, buy a ticket and travel with my bike. I can't be bothered with all this forward planning. How do I know if it is going to be sunny on a Sunday in 6 weeks time?
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

blackbike wrote:More trouble than it's worth these days unless you go on the same route a lot and get to know the system.

Just as I don't go to as many football matches these days because it is usually impossible to turn up at the ground and get in, I won't take my bike on a train either. I liked it when I could decide to go somewhere on the spur of the moment, cycle to the station, buy a ticket and travel with my bike. I can't be bothered with all this forward planning. How do I know if it is going to be sunny on a Sunday in 6 weeks time?

I quite agree,it's a ridiculous carry on.

Although travelling on local trains with a bike is not too bad off peak,peak time is no go.

This makes a spur of the moment ( or un spur of the moment ) day trip virtually impossible as you have to catch a train too late to make it worthwhile.It's even worse if there are two or more of you.

The railways ought to hang their collective heads in shame.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
sea lion

Post by sea lion »

It's not too bad around here. You can't book for northern trains, first come first served. I regularly use the hope valley line between manchester and sheffield and the guard was telling me the most bikes she got on the train once was 17. I used it last week and there were 7 bikes on the train.

I once had a right problem booking a space on a train from newcastle, most space seemed to be booked, However I turned up to chance it, there were no bikes on the (virgin) train. However there were 3 bike spaces on the train, 2 to be booked, and one for a first come first served basis.

I must admit I find the whole situation a farce. Is this not something the CTC could take up with the government?
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Me and two friends wanted to go to London and take our partners with us, the two wheeled variety :lol: Finding cheap deals for us was no problem but finding cheap deals with bike spaces was impossible, I found the train times online, trainline.com and southwest trains but no bike booking option. Incidently if I looke on SWT website the tickets were £1-£2 cheaper but meant I had to get from Paddington to Waterloo :?