Bike bag storage in Santander

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
KT27

Bike bag storage in Santander

Post by KT27 »

Hi

We are planning a 10 day tour around the Picos de Europa and surrounding area this Easter, starting and finishing in Santander. We will be flying into Santander Airport so will need to store bike bags somewhere for the duration, any ideas? Any advice on routes, campsites, places to visit etc also much appreciated.

Thanks, KT
GrahamG

Re: Bike bag storage in Santander

Post by GrahamG »

I take it you're a fair distance from Plymouth then? Just checking as the ferry is a nice relaxed way of travelling.
horizon

Post by horizon »

GrahamG wrote:I take it you're a fair distance from Plymouth then? Just checking as the ferry is a nice relaxed way of travelling.

+1. And don't forget that the ferry also goes from Portsmouth which is reasonably quick from London. It must surely be the most civilised way of getting to Spain, if not the south west of France.

And no need for bike bags, or to leave the camping gaz at home.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
KT27

Post by KT27 »

Yeh, I live near Manchester so it's a fair old trek and it actually worked out more expensive as all the cheap seats had been snapped up
horizon

Post by horizon »

Shame. I've never done the Picos (have always headed south) but the chats I've had with cyclists on the trip home have led me to believe that they are basically ace :D .
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
KT27

Post by KT27 »

Thanks, really looking forward to it.
tximixt

Post by tximixt »

I am not sure if there is a place in Santander's airport, I have asked my brother who works there...

I guest you are planning to ride from the airport, in that case a good route to follow will be to go parallel to the narrow train line in the north of Spain.

what are your plans at the moment?
ericonabike

COMPLAINT TO MODERATER

Post by ericonabike »

I saw this post and asked a Spanish club colleague, who comes from Santander, if he'd like to share his local knowledge with the OP. This is the message I've just had back from my clubmate:

"Hello tximixt,
You are receiving this notification because your post "Re: Bike bag storage in Santander" at "CTC Forum" was disapproved by a moderator or administrator.
The following reason was given for the disapproval:
The reported message has the only purpose to advertise for a website or another product.
--
Thanks, Message Board Administrator"

the only links I have put where related to the torist information offices in each county and the main link to the national train company operating in the North.

Hardly going to endear him to the CTC is it? Any comments?
Motorists' mantra: Cyclists must obey the law and the Highway Code AT ALL TIMES. Unless their doing so would HOLD ME UP.
KT27

Post by KT27 »

Thanks, I've heard that the airport is quite small and unlikely to have luggage storage, it would be good to know one way or trhe other though.

Not sure on our route yet, but we hope to head out towards the Picos, there are a few routes on the CTC website which we've we looked at, our plans are still a bit vague as yet though.......loads of time to work out the detail!!
bornagaincyclist

Post by bornagaincyclist »

Hi,
I have a friend who lives in Santander and he is going to call the airport on Monday and ask them about this, will let you know how he gets on. The north of Spain is beautiful, and the picos themselves are awesome! They go up a long way!
There is a Campsite in Santander, and another about 5Km East of Liencres (which I prefer about 25km West of Santander) - they will have showers and a bar and do food too, not exactly wild camping but very friendly.
It rains in Northern Spain (my mate said that it has rained every day for three months!) so remember to take your waterproofs.
Terry
KT27

Post by KT27 »

Thanks Terry, that's great.

We're taking a tent with us so info on campsites much appreciated.
tximixt

Post by tximixt »

Hola. My brother got back to me, and there is no service free and or paying to store luggage at the airport. Santander airport has a tourist information office, where you can get a free road map of Cantabria. Everything will depend of your arrival time. If you are flighing from Stansted airport you will get there after 8pm and I suppose by that time it will be close.

I can suggest you to sit in the airplane on the left wind side, normally the airplane lands East to West direction. If clear you will be able to see Peña Cabarga (an many other nice mountains nearby) , just when the plane is descending, around 3000 feet. Peña Cabarga a nice climb of about 6km with a really sharp end and wonderfull view from the top if clear.

Here is a good website to see the gradient of the many climgs/hills and mountain pases in Spain and Europe http://www.altimetrias.net

I will suggest you visiting Los Lagos de Covadonga (in picos de Europa). To get there you could follow the N-634, this road is now much quiter as all traffic is on the main mortorway. Apart from a few kms from Unquera to Lanes. Following this route you will always have the narrow track train http://www.feve.es, with many stops.
tximixt

Post by tximixt »

Could you point me to routes you have been suggested? Would you like to do something different, as canoeing, hiking?

It can rain, it can be sunny, you can have strong south wing but it is warmer! I didn't know about mudgards up to I came to UK :lol:
MartinBrice

Post by MartinBrice »

I suggest you wrap your bike in
clingfilm
weed supressant material bought from a garden centre
a CTC bag
the clear plastic a mattress came in
bubble wrap
Then chuck it all away at the airport after you arrive.
Then buy more (this is where clingfilm is a favourite because it is easy to get at anysupermarket) and wrap the bike at the airport.
There are loads of threads on this subject and it might be worth asking for a "sticky" to be set up.
KT27

Post by KT27 »

Hi

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions, much appreciated.

As for routes in the area, I just typed 'Picos de Europa' into the search function on the CTC home page and a number of options popped up.

KT