does anyone ride a Dawes Sportife Elite Bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kenny17

does anyone ride a Dawes Sportife Elite Bike

Post by kenny17 »

Get problems with numb hands and feet and dont know if its just me, or there is some upgrades i could do that might help ??
DaveP

Re: does anyone ride a Dawes Sportife Elite Bike

Post by DaveP »

Seems a shame that a straightforward question has slipped through the net.
This topic comes up regularly on here, as you can imagine, so for background information, try the search function. Its a bit cumbersome but it will dredge something up for you.
There are things you can do, by way of modifying the contact points - thicker/double bar tape with gel pads underneath, new saddle, pedals/shoes etc. etc
However the best place to start would be to make sure that your riding position is correct, which implies maybe moving the saddle around, possibly changing the stem to reposition the bars. The point I'm trying to make is that you could spend lots of time and money experimenting, so your best course really would be to go and consult someone - a good bike shop or local cycling club perhaps.
Trying to retain enough fitness to grow old disgracefully... That hasn't changed!
snibgo

Post by snibgo »

At the risk of stating the obvious: it's cold out there. Maybe the problem isn't the bike, but clothing.

For a test, dress as you would for a walk: hat, gloves, thick socks, whatever. Take a walk. Are your hands and feet numb? Then jump on the bike. Are they any worse?
Big T

Post by Big T »

It might help if you could post up a photo of the bike. If the saddle is a lot higher than the bars, it may be that your weight isn't evenly distributed and you are putting too much pressure on your hands. You could try flipping your stem, so that instead of being flat it slopes upwards.

My wife uses Specilaized Bar Phat handlebar tape, which has a gel pad under the tape. You could also try Gel mitts/gloves to relieve the pressure on your hands.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

It quite easy to pass this problem off as the bike's fault but until you first sort out:-
a) any health issues ie; CTS etc,
b)riding position
c)tyre size and or pressures
d)bar tape,under tape gel pads etc
e) Gloves.
Thres little can be done.
Please tell us more about the above list.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kenny17

Post by kenny17 »

hi , thanks for the reply, health issues ? , have been tested for rainards and circulation probs- both negitive, but will try new bar tape / gel..... Thanks

Ken