are we training enough

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Fathead1

are we training enough

Post by Fathead1 »

Myself and a group of friends are undertaking the trans pennine trail over three days at the end of April for a local charity and to this end we have been training each weekend with rides increasing in length and dificulty up to about 50 miles.
Although obviously a little tired we are all in agreement that at the end of the day we are far from exhausted and could carry on comfortably.
The reason for the post being , do we continue increasing the length of the rides up to our longest day distance of 100 miles on the second day or level off our training so that the 50 miles is eventually covered with ease.
I dont want to be pushing the guys to do more and more miles to find they are tired by the time the ride comes around but also dont want to be unprepared for the ride.
The route we are taking is back from Hornsea to Southport so the second day takes in the uphill section over the top.
Winkeladvokat

Re: are we training enough

Post by Winkeladvokat »

No, you need to keep increasing your distance so that your body (and bike, actually, stuff like saddle, bar position - things hurt in different ways after increasing length of time in the saddle, and you don't know until you actually do it!) is prepared for the kind of efforts you're going to encounter. Build up slowly, and gradually increase the distance of you long ride each week. If you're riding twice a week or more, one long ride and 1+ shorter, faster ride (e.g. 1.5hrs long at a continuous but harder effort) is an extremely good plan, the longer ride helping you develop the stamina for the distance, the shorter rides helping you get up the hills in a better state! Maybe back off with a week or two to go, so you're fresh. But the key is getting the miles in in a consistent fashion.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Yes, what he said.
Dont make your first 100 miler the second day of your tour, you would regret it.
Build up the weekend rides slowly to the magic 100 miles, a week is long enough to recover from one ride and be ready for the next....don't forget on your "holiday" you will do 3 days back to back!
a short fast ride during the week also, to sharpen up a bit.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Sitting here, I'd have no doubt that you could do it. Your post is the result of your doubts, not mine, and that's what you need to deal with. A lot of distance cycling is about dealing with what's going on in your head. Do as the others above have said, without getting paranoid about it. A steady build up is the key. Then you will set off with fewer doubts and more likelihood of really enjoying it.

The other big advantage of the experience of some longer rides is that you get to know how your body7 reacts, and what suits you best in terms of breaks / or keeping going.
fatboy

Post by fatboy »

The most important aspect of doing long rides in readiness for a tour is to find out what chafes, rubs and whether your saddle is set up right etc. Also getting into the habit of eating and drinking enough. Otherwise I think you'll be fine. It also acts to shake down the bike and see if it can last the distance etc.
"Marriage is a wonderful invention; but then again so is the bicycle puncture repair kit." - Billy Connolly
Fathead1

Post by Fathead1 »

Hey guys thanks very much for the good advice, we are 8 weeks out from the ride so can pull the training in to folllow your tips and make it an enjoyable experience and not just a slog of pain haha.
We will be taking more midweek rides anyway with the nights getting lighter by the day so very possitive about now following your comments but you are correct I was focusing more on the figure of 100 miles than actually doing it.
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

You'll be fine, I did all 50 milers and one 90 miler without luggage before setting off on a loaded, 80 mile per day average, (max 110 miles, min 55 miles) tour lasting 13 consecutive days. Any more work you do now will make it easier which is no bad thing but certainly no need to worry!
Gearoidmuar

Post by Gearoidmuar »

There is more than one routine that'll get you fit and I've experimented a lot down the years. This following one is the most astonishing way to get really fit and it's counterintuitive. I discovered it by accident, but it mirrors the effect of touring.
Go out for 10 days in a row and do 20 odd miles, REALLY EASY. I mean just that. It can be hilly but it must be really comfortable. I'm talking 12mph average if flat and less if not.
You may ask, how is that going to make me fit?
It does, but I'm not sure how. I tried it years ago and it works.
I have a theory as to how it works. People mistake fitness for "strength" and feel that strength must be involved. My theory is that it induces enymes in your muscles and it is that which makes you fit.
Touring has the same effect. Just try it!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I'd be tempted to go for the higher mileage, at the end of the day you will then know you can do it!

but don't forget the nutrition! you don't want to get the "Bonk"

have a look at http://www.bottombracket.co.uk/cycling-nutrition.html

good luck

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.