Child's bike for touring?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Damon

Child's bike for touring?

Postby Damon » 26 Feb 2011, 11:44am

I know I am limiting my options, but can anyone suggest a bike that fits these criteria?

20 inch wheels (so I can pull her with a followme: http://www.followme-tandem.com/)
can fit a 140cm tall girl
non-suspension forks
can easily take a rack AND mudguards (ie has attachments points for these built-in)
is NOT a toy
reasonably light weight
a few gears controlled by grip/twist shift (ideally geared hub but not necessary)
is not black with orange flame decals

any suggestions would be very appreciated

thanks

Damon

Kevin K

Re: Child's bike for touring?

Postby Kevin K » 26 Feb 2011, 1:31pm

Damon,
I've pulled an Islabikes Beinn 20 with a Follow-me Tandem Coupling. It tended to sway from side to side when my stoker (120cm tall) was active and I believe a bigger rider would be rather unstable, even if you could find a suitable bike.
Good luck anyway.
Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

Damon

Postby Damon » 28 Feb 2011, 2:17am

Thanks, Kevin.

I share the same concerns, I've just received a Follow-Me to trial - we'll see how we go. I want it mainly as a back-up for 'emergencies' - big hills, bad weather when I know she may not have the 'urge' to ride herself.

I am considering using a bigger bike and carrying a spare light 20inch wheel for those times - but I'll want to give it a good go first!

Damon

essexman

Postby essexman » 28 Feb 2011, 6:49am

is their a 'best' wheel size for a follow-me? Whats the smallest it does?
I hate snow.

horizon

Postby horizon » 28 Feb 2011, 11:30am

My youngest daughter was too old for a pull-along when they came out so after a heroic transverse of the IOW on her own bike when she was nine, we opted for a tandem and never looked back. The light loading also means that it obviates some of the tandem issues for the pilot. I think tandems should be handed down through families for this age range - old enough to tour, not old enough to keep up. The age gap doesn't last long and may seem that the bike won't be a good investment but it can be sold on or shared.
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

Damon

Postby Damon » 5 Mar 2011, 9:46am

essexman;

their website says 12" to 20" bikes...

We've just had a go with our daughters on one of their 20inch bikes and we all love it! Our eldest daughter is more noticeable but I think with a bit of coordination (stoker don't pedal when cornering etc) it should be good. We are yet to try it with a 20" wheel on a 24" wheeled-bike...

horizon;

I agree with you regarding the tandem option, my wife and I used to tour with one (but I think that has put her off as much as it has enticed me!?). Unfortunately it won't suit our needs this time; shorter daily rides but over an extended time period - 7 months; also we want the kids to have some freedom when staying at friends/relatives enroute; and I think transportation of the bikes on trains will be easier when needed.

martin biggs

Postby martin biggs » 5 Mar 2011, 3:40pm

by a proper tandem much easier and safer , that what we did

Damon

Postby Damon » 25 Mar 2011, 10:43am

Thanks for all your responses.

I've decided on the FollowMe tandem coupling for my youngest girl - we have given it a go and both love it - it will be a real asset when the "going gets tough". My eldest girl will have an electric hub motor for back-up.

horizon

Postby horizon » 25 Mar 2011, 11:38am

Good stuff damon - it's horses for courses and the tandem option isn't always viable as you say. Good luck with your trip(s)!
I have two doctors, my left leg and my right leg. (G. M. Trevelyan)
PS I always wondered why the YHA HQ was called Trevelyan House. :)

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 25 Mar 2011, 1:43pm

Damon wrote:Thanks for all your responses.

I've decided on the FollowMe tandem coupling for my youngest girl - we have given it a go and both love it - it will be a real asset when the "going gets tough". My eldest girl will have an electric hub motor for back-up.

Where did you "give it a go"?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.