Child's bike for touring?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Damon

Child's bike for touring?

Post by Damon »

I know I am limiting my options, but can anyone suggest a bike that fits these criteria?

20 inch wheels (so I can pull her with a followme: http://www.followme-tandem.com/)
can fit a 140cm tall girl
non-suspension forks
can easily take a rack AND mudguards (ie has attachments points for these built-in)
is NOT a toy
reasonably light weight
a few gears controlled by grip/twist shift (ideally geared hub but not necessary)
is not black with orange flame decals

any suggestions would be very appreciated

thanks

Damon
Kevin K

Re: Child's bike for touring?

Post by Kevin K »

Damon,
I've pulled an Islabikes Beinn 20 with a Follow-me Tandem Coupling. It tended to sway from side to side when my stoker (120cm tall) was active and I believe a bigger rider would be rather unstable, even if you could find a suitable bike.
Good luck anyway.
Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow
Damon

Post by Damon »

Thanks, Kevin.

I share the same concerns, I've just received a Follow-Me to trial - we'll see how we go. I want it mainly as a back-up for 'emergencies' - big hills, bad weather when I know she may not have the 'urge' to ride herself.

I am considering using a bigger bike and carrying a spare light 20inch wheel for those times - but I'll want to give it a good go first!

Damon
essexman

Post by essexman »

is their a 'best' wheel size for a follow-me? Whats the smallest it does?
I hate snow.
horizon

Post by horizon »

My youngest daughter was too old for a pull-along when they came out so after a heroic transverse of the IOW on her own bike when she was nine, we opted for a tandem and never looked back. The light loading also means that it obviates some of the tandem issues for the pilot. I think tandems should be handed down through families for this age range - old enough to tour, not old enough to keep up. The age gap doesn't last long and may seem that the bike won't be a good investment but it can be sold on or shared.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Damon

Post by Damon »

essexman;

their website says 12" to 20" bikes...

We've just had a go with our daughters on one of their 20inch bikes and we all love it! Our eldest daughter is more noticeable but I think with a bit of coordination (stoker don't pedal when cornering etc) it should be good. We are yet to try it with a 20" wheel on a 24" wheeled-bike...

horizon;

I agree with you regarding the tandem option, my wife and I used to tour with one (but I think that has put her off as much as it has enticed me!?). Unfortunately it won't suit our needs this time; shorter daily rides but over an extended time period - 7 months; also we want the kids to have some freedom when staying at friends/relatives enroute; and I think transportation of the bikes on trains will be easier when needed.
martin biggs

Post by martin biggs »

by a proper tandem much easier and safer , that what we did
Damon

Post by Damon »

Thanks for all your responses.

I've decided on the FollowMe tandem coupling for my youngest girl - we have given it a go and both love it - it will be a real asset when the "going gets tough". My eldest girl will have an electric hub motor for back-up.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Good stuff damon - it's horses for courses and the tandem option isn't always viable as you say. Good luck with your trip(s)!
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Damon wrote:Thanks for all your responses.

I've decided on the FollowMe tandem coupling for my youngest girl - we have given it a go and both love it - it will be a real asset when the "going gets tough". My eldest girl will have an electric hub motor for back-up.

Where did you "give it a go"?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.