front panniers for Raleigh Royal

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
galavanter

front panniers for Raleigh Royal

Postby galavanter » 3 Mar 2011, 9:53pm

I seem to remember a post somewhere where it said Having difficulty finding front pannier rack to fit new Raleigh Royal has anybody managed to find anything suitable have tried some from Halfords but they dont fit

galavanter

Re: front panniers for Raleigh Royal

Postby galavanter » 13 Mar 2011, 8:38pm

Bought a set of Blackburn frames had to file a wee bit off the bit that screws onto the fork leg so the screw would fit and made a small bracket that went from the screw to the top of frame seems to work ok

largeallan

Postby largeallan » 20 Jun 2011, 1:30pm

Just noticed this thread, I've been thinking about front rack/ low riders for my Royal too as I feel I'm overloading it a bit on the back end with camping crapola etc
How are you finding it with four bags on? Oh and nice to see someone else with a Royal, they seem to be an overlooked bike, but It's done everything I've asked of it really with few niggles.

tinribs

Postby tinribs » 20 Jun 2011, 7:40pm

I've fitted a tubus ergo to my front fork. Fits fine on the same eyelet I use for the mud guard.

largeallan

Postby largeallan » 21 Jun 2011, 1:09pm

I've looked at the tubus Tinribs....what bags do you use with that? I've heard there are compatability issues with some racks and bags

tinribs

Postby tinribs » 21 Jun 2011, 9:34pm

I use a pair of Ortlieb front rollers. They seem to fit fine. It certainly isn't the cheapest rack (I think I got mine from Spa cycles) but it's definitely top quality stuff.

Phil_Lee

Postby Phil_Lee » 22 Jun 2011, 12:52am

My Royal is far from new (it's an '87), but the experience may be relevant.

I got some lowrider frames from SJS on clearance (I think they were a tenner).
I was getting something else (I forget what) when I saw the offer, and it was (as they say) too good to miss, even though I had no immediate use for them.
I can use Lidl panniers on them.
Total cost for panniers and frames was stupidly cheap, but it seems to be rigid enough :)

I finally got around to fitting them in order to solve a particular problem, but having read through what I wrote, it's rather hijacking the thread, so I'll cut it out and put it in a new one :)