Legs

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
manonbike

Legs

Post by manonbike »

This isn't exactly cycling but I think it's related, as legs is what you use to power your bike, like a car engine you need to maintain them legs. So my question is, does everyone one just get on there bike and ride, or do you do warm ups and warm down stretches or excercises. The reason I'm asking is some day I'd like to perhaps do Lejog or some such. Logic makes me think that living on a bike for 6 to 8 hrs a day doing the same thing (pedalling) obviously makes your legs tired aching muscles painful joints etc. So what do other cyclists do to look after their legs. I've not had major problems but I do seem to get muscles feeling like piano wires and occassional cramp in calves. So for a start off I've been doing more stretches, which seems to help, so what works for you.
Martyn
reohn2

Re: Legs

Post by reohn2 »

It depends on intensity,if you're cramping up, drink more and eat regular (little and often) during long rides.
To relieve tired legs and help recovery:-At the end of the day lie down with your legs up a wall then massage the muscles starting at the ankles and working your way toward the groin,massaging in that direction only,(as if you're pulling eveything up your legs) spend about a minute on each leg.
When in the shower, after washing run cold water on your legs until they're really cold, again about a minute on each leg.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

+1 for hydration. Some people find the energy drinks help, too.

If I'm cycling more than 30 miles, I usually stop after I warm up (20 - 30 minutes) and stretch a bit. I also stretch if feel I need it at lunch and tea stops. I find the best cure for tight muscles after a long day in the saddle is a hot bath.

Three days each week, I do stretches and muscle-toning exercises, not just for my legs, but also the upper body (which get a bit neglected by cycling). I used to use a gym a couple of days a week, but no longer have easy access to one.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Always warm up ... on the first hill...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

I always warm up on the bike. On longer rides I slow down for the last mile and will normally go swimming after the Sunday ride. the cold water seems to help, although the main reason for going is to take the kids.
NUKe

Post by Mick F »

I don't do any pre or post anything. Never have done and probably never will.

When I set out on a ride, I take my time and relax. I warm up as I go. At the end, I'm tired and relaxed.
Mick F. Cornwall
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

I'd warm up slowly. The first 4-5 miles in any direction from home involve a 20% up or down gradient, so while it's a nuisance, I maintain a high cadence in a high gear in order to warm up.

Aside from that, all round physical fitness helps. I use a gym 3-4 days a week and definately find the variety of exercise makes a difference (I.e. high intensity cardio, lower body weights, running - sprinting definately makes a difference). I'd never undertake stretching from cold (And rarely do them on the bike), but post gym/running they may help.

And finally hydration, taking a rest day or shorter lower intensity days if on tour.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

There seems to be some controversy over stretching. I'd suggest going for a walk after a long day of cycling. This will relieve the blood "pooling " effect of cycling.
The Mechanic

Post by The Mechanic »

I find the cold water on the legs therapy works for me. Since I have been doing it I have never had any stiffness after a ride. I also find a 3-4 mile walk on flat ground (I use the beach prom) is really good for loosening everything up as well. I often do that after a morning ride.
Cancer changes your outlook on life. Change yours before it changes you.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:I don't do any pre or post anything. Never have done and probably never will....

That's pretty much the same as me.

I don't remember ever having any trouble with leg cramp etc while riding and the only time I've had really significant pain afterwards was once through getting really cold and wet on a long ride. I have occasionally had discomfort in the soles of my feet in recent years which I attribute to clipless pedals.

I've heard a lot of debate about massage over the years. When I was recovering from busting my achilles my right calf and ankle kept swelling and going very hard. I followed all the advice from the physio with only limited relief and he gave me a couple of sessions or really vigorous massage - so vigorous he was whacked when he had finished. That really worked in dispesring the swelling so that the stuff I was doing daily at home got me back to something like normal.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

For most rides / long runs I don't bother stretching or warming up. Never found it necessary, plus stretching cold muscles isn't good.

For short blasts / sprinting I warm up a bit and do some stretches (when warm), I do find (particularly with sprinting) that it's all too easy to pull something if you suddenly go for it with cold muscles.

Stretching at the end of exercise is a good thing imo, particularly where you've subjected the body to repetitive motions for a while. You usually find if nothing else your body feels like it wants to stretch...
mill4six

Post by mill4six »

I've been having knee problems triggered by taking up running but caused by overdeveloped cycling muscles. I'm off to pilates in a bit and Ive just been on my new foam roller easing out my ileo-tibial band which is too tight and pulling on my kneecap. The roller seems to help but is very uncomfortable in use!! I thought I had got my problems sussed but I had to pull up on Tues after 5 miles running, hence the roller. Cycling 40k yesterday didn't seem to make things worse, I've been paying some attention to bike fit too.
porky

Post by porky »

On multi-day rides I find that a good stretch and the end of the day reduces stiff legs and pain the next morning. For a warm-up I just take things easy for the first couple of miles.
My car does 40 miles on a gallon of petrol, my bike will do that on a mug of tea and a slice of cake.
Big T

Post by Big T »

When doing JOGLE, I usually had sore legs each day, but found that taking it easy for the first half hour, going slower, spinning a smaller gear, cured this and legs felt fine for the rest of the day.
My JOGLE blog:
http://www.jogler2009.blogspot.com
twitter: @bikingtrev
Ron

Post by Ron »

ANTONISH wrote: I'd suggest going for a walk after a long day of cycling.

I also enjoy a walk in the evening when on tour, I think it's good to get a bit of exercise after sitting down all day on the bike.