Wheel builder - South West. Recommendations ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
MWidnall

Wheel builder - South West. Recommendations ?

Post by MWidnall »

Any recommendations for a good wheel builder in the North Wiltshire area ?? I need a nice Spa Cycles built rear wheel re-dished. I'm in striking distance of Bristol, Gloucester, Cheltenham, Swindon etc.. Be grateful for any recommendations !!
goatwarden

Re: Wheel builder - South West. Recommendations ?

Post by goatwarden »

Garry Harris (http://www.garysbikes.co.uk/) did an excellent job on a couple of tandem wheels for me last year. I got his details from a recommendation here. He works from home, in Bedminster, Bristol (has a day jobas well) and seems to carry a full stock of spokes, etc.
scottmac

Post by scottmac »

I saw this post in July of this year and desperately needed some spare spokes for my ol' Dawes tandem (as me and the missus were off to see the Tour) and nowhere in Swindon had any, plus I had left it too late to order any - DOH!

A quick trip down to Gary's that evening in Bristol saved my bacon as he had the spokes I needed, plus he lent me a spanner to remove the hub brake and a freewheel remover tool for the old Maillard block I had on the rear.

Try getting your LBS to lend a total stranger their tools for a week! I didn't even ask, he just said he didn't have much call for their usage, just make sure that I brought them back in one piece! - which I did by the way. :D

On my return, I ordered a pair of Ambrosio rims on XT Deore hubs for my cyclocross bike. I'm 6' 3" and was 14.9 stone (now down to 13.2 :lol: ) and was fed up breaking spokes on my normal bike, so as this was my first venture into cross I wanted a bombproof set of wheels - and that's what I got!

I've crashed, bunny-hopped, dropped off mounds, fell off peaks, ridden rough over and through most terrain - and they are still as true as the day I bought them! If you're after 29er wheels, I suggest you pay him a visit.

He's a top mechanic also and a nice bloke.

Can't say much more than that.
ransos

Post by ransos »

A further update for info - I used Ross Taylor (Taylored cycles) in Bristol for my road wheels - they've been perfect so far, and he's reasonably priced too. You can source your own components and he'll build them for a fixed fee.
ross.taylor

Post by ross.taylor »

I'm glad to hear that the wheels are working well!