Halfords - seeking to go even lower!

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
drossall

Re: Halfords - seeking to go even lower!

Post by drossall »

Isn't this the way Raleigh went? Known for years for quality bicycles, then in the 1970s, when selling bikes was hard, went down market, then had to fight to get a reputation back with keener riders, then went down market again, then...

Presumably the result of changes of management as well as trading conditions?
meic

Post by meic »

I thought that Raleigh's problem was that the bikes were too well made.
Once everyone had bought one there was no-one left to sell to, rather like Singer Sewing Machines.
Yma o Hyd
dubscratcher

Post by dubscratcher »

I bought a spoke key from Halfords for a fiver, it broke almost straight away, I returned it and without a receipt they eventually changed it after a lengthy argument, for an identical one, that also broke on first use.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

dubscratcher wrote:I bought a spoke key from Halfords for a fiver, it broke almost straight away, I returned it and without a receipt they eventually changed it after a lengthy argument, for an identical one, that also broke on first use.

A fiver for a spoke key is expensive,the last "Spokey" (red,LBS) cost £2.99p! I have three and I've never broke one yet.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

reohn2 wrote:A fiver for a spoke key is expensive,the last "Spokey" (red,LBS) cost £2.99p! I have three and I've never broke one yet.

:? But you've only got two hands!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This one's mine:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... UDDTOOL350

So a fiver is a bit pricey for something that breaks.
Mick F. Cornwall
dewi1

Post by dewi1 »

Halfords are reacting to the public's demand for everything to be as cheap as possible ..... if people won't pay the money for quality and want to go to Tescos and buy bikes for £50, I guess Halfords have nowhere to go & have to try and be competitive. The problem is that people buy these flatpack bikes and half-heartedly cobble them together and they never really run properly, meaning many pople have a poor experience of what cycling actually is. Last week i bought a bike for my son from my LBS and the chap in the shop was apologetic when he told me it would cost £130, whihch nowadays really isn't a lot to pay for a decent bike that has been put together professionally.

My other lad has Carrera Subway 1 from Halfords by the way which is an awesome bike for the money, would have got the other one a Subway 24 but they have stopped doing them - no doubt due to the fact that the general public are unwilling to pay the going rate ....
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I bought a new MTB off a e-bay business seller for £60 and gave it to my 30yr old son for a work commute. He hammered it for 12 months before he changed the crap brakes. I have now had to rebuild the bottom bracket and fit a S/H chainset plus rebuild both wheelhubs. The bike now rides better than new and he is off hammering it off road again. But there again I know what I am doing. You can run these BSOs if you look after them and realise their limitations. I doubt if the frames are any lower quality than more expensive machines. The frame on my sons is pretty light and the paintwork is still pristine.
Last edited by bigjim on 27 Apr 2011, 2:07pm, edited 1 time in total.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Mick F wrote:This one's mine:
http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... UDDTOOL350

So a fiver is a bit pricey for something that breaks.

They price the bikes cheap to get customers then use the 'Ratners' philosophy for the parts and accessories.

Be interesting to see how their profits divide up, but I'd be willing to be the markup on accessories is somewhat greater than on the bikes.
Critchers

Post by Critchers »

Had an awful experience with the so called bike mechanics at halfords. They are in effect underskilled young lads so not really their fault. Had some work done on the rear chainrings. They fitted the wrong part for the bike and I had to return 7 times before eventually taking it to a small bike shop to be re-repaired. Its now perfect. Needless to say customer service at halfords are not interested. Dont let them near your bike...cowboys at best.
iron legs

Post by iron legs »

Have to agree with last post. Just sorted out a girls Apollo bicycle which had been left into our local charity shop as a favour. V brakes were set up wrong and weren't really safe for a child. (Perhaps this was why the warning sticker about wearing a helmet was stuck on the top tube!) So much for the much advertised 'Free safety check'. I thought that all goods had to be of merchantable quality under the Sale of Goods Act.

Our local Halfords is not very good either. It's the old story....pay peanuts....get monkeys. But seriously Halfords have a fair old markup on anything they sell. I have seen some of their bikes and knowing what the parts cost trade in the UK and the wholesaler is making money, Halfords are buying direct from the factory in Taiwan or China. Even allowing for the transport and distribution cost, their markup must be very, very healthy on a lot of their bicycle range and this is not taking into account their parts range. However they will have big overheads for their stores,- rent, rates, electricity, heating, insurance. The top management will be on a large salary commensurate with their ego and perceived worth, but the worker on the shop floor will be paid as little as possible to help keep costs down. Training will be part of this cost and if staff aren't happy they won't stay, so training may be witheld because of staff turnover, again to save money.

Halfords musn't be doing that well in relative terms if they are trying to reduce the price of BSOs. Obviously not doing as well from the 'cycle to work scheme' as many LBS's were getting that trade. Poor customer service will eventually catch up with them and hurt them in turnover.
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

I've bought my last two bikes from Halfords. Last year I bought a Boardman carbon bike for a grand - outstanding value for money but sadly I totally lost interest in cycling and it's gathered a lot of dust! This year I've bought a Carerra Gryphon hybrid for £208 on a discount weekend and it's brilliant!! I try to get out on it for a 40-minute blast before I go into work and it's really helped me get my interest in cycling back.

Regarding customer service I've twice written to Halfords praising their good customer service. Flip side... I've recently seen a Voodoo bike on display with the fork fitted the wrong way around. Not just twisted around but actually fitted the wrong way around with the handlebar controls and fork-mounted reflector facing the 'right' way but with the forks facing backwards. When I pointed this out to an assistant they mumbled something about inexperienced staff but it was still there a few days later...
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
rootes

Post by rootes »

according to bikebiz halfords sells 1 out of every 3 bikes sold in the uk..
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We may not think much of them, but if you look at it from the perspective of the average cycle buyer, you might come out with a different opinion. Most people who go out to buy bicycles are parents looking for something cheap for their kids. The comparison for them is Toys 'R' Us and Argos. Who provides better customer service when it comes to a bicycle?

It may be easy to fault Halfords when a knowledgeable person needs help, or a bicycle requires something more than an inner tube, but to someone who doesn't know whether to buy Jane a 16" or 20" princess bike (sorry to all the Janes out there! :wink: ), they provide an invaluable service.
Last edited by Vorpal on 8 Aug 2011, 11:36pm, edited 1 time in total.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
531colin

Post by 531colin »

rootes wrote:according to bikebiz halfords sells 1 out of every 3 bikes sold in the uk..

thats why I'm stopping at 2 bikes....