Thinking of winter pain...

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
RC

Thinking of winter pain...

Post by RC »

I know, I know, its a bit early but after having to hang up my bike last year and the slow return to fitness this spring, I want to be prepared for the winter commute (this year I came off twice on black ice, bruised thigh and b:m, nice road rash, but no breaks) so this year I want to be prepared. I've bought the winter tyres, now all I need is a bike to put them in ...

1.Its a long round trip (34 miles) 3 times a week
2. So I want a bike with large tyre clearances, preferably at least 35mm with guards
3. Not too overbuilt as I've got some rather large hills to shift it over and a difficult wife if I'm late home, and if I ever go touring I would aim to take as little as possible (so I don't need an expedition style tourer)
4.I prefer drops, and beer
5. Not bothered if discs or not

Any ideas... (frames or complete bikes)?

Cheers!
[XAP]Bob

Re: Thinking of winter pain...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

RC wrote:I know, I know, its a bit early but after having to hang up my bike last year and the slow return to fitness this spring, I want to be prepared for the winter commute (this year I came off twice on black ice, bruised thigh and b:m, nice road rash, but no breaks) so this year I want to be prepared. I've bought the winter tyres, now all I need is a bike to put them in ...

1.Its a long round trip (34 miles) 3 times a week
2. So I want a bike with large tyre clearances, preferably at least 35mm with guards
3. Not too overbuilt as I've got some rather large hills to shift it over and a difficult wife if I'm late home, and if I ever go touring I would aim to take as little as possible (so I don't need an expedition style tourer)
4.I prefer drops, and beer
5. Not bothered if discs or not

Any ideas... (frames or complete bikes)?

Cheers!

If you are aiming for snow and slush then hub or disc brakes will serve you well.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RC

Post by RC »

Not against disc brakes etc but not an absolute requirement...
uphillbothways

Post by uphillbothways »

What's your budget?
horizon

Post by horizon »

So I want a bike with large tyre clearances, preferably at least 35mm with guards

I don't know for sure (because I think you mean 700c) but you may be looking for 38mm at least if by winter tyres you mean studded. For the distance and hills, this means a lighter bike and I am interested to see what people come up with. Do you have the width of the tyres you have bought?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
jamesoneil

Post by jamesoneil »

Depends how extreme you want to go ;D

:lol:

http://www.highintensitybikeshop.com/in ... oductId=59
Fezes are cool.
arc

Post by arc »

I have Surly Cross check which meets all of your requirements. I think it's the most versatile frame set I've owned and use it for commuting, touring and as a winter training bike. A number of people would recommend a fully fledged touring bike instead,
random37

Post by random37 »

How about a hybrid? Cheap, light ones available secondhand.

For reliability, perhaps a pair of Sturmey drum brakes too?
RC

Post by RC »

I had thought about the surly (crosscheck) or even the new salsa casseroll, however there are no LBS that stock models these so it would involve a bit of travelling and opinions from forum members...

Tyres schwalbe winter marathon 35 but with studs so I agree looks a bit broader

So budget about 1200 pounds?

Cheers
crazydavid

Post by crazydavid »

I use an old 26 inch wheeled mountain bike when weather turns really nasty. Studded tyres with lowered pressures. A lot slower than my usual bike, but in ice and snow, slow is good.

I put slicks on it for the spring though to autumn and it gets used on the commute if the other one lets me down.
random37

Post by random37 »

RC wrote:I had thought about the surly (crosscheck) or even the new salsa casseroll, however there are no LBS that stock models these so it would involve a bit of travelling and opinions from forum members...

Tyres schwalbe winter marathon 35 but with studs so I agree looks a bit broader

So budget about 1200 pounds?

Cheers

£1200 for your winter bike?

How much was your summer one? :shock:
RC

Post by RC »

With some cyclescheme assistance!
But I spend a lot of time on my bike, so why not make it something that I enjoy riding?
Surly crosscheck is quite a bit less than this though..