Roscoff Plymouth ferry

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
noel JJ

Roscoff Plymouth ferry

Postby noel JJ » 20 Mar 2007, 11:51am

Has anyone taken a bike on this ferry . On the web most sites dont mention bikes at all . hope somebody can help

horizon

Postby horizon » 20 Mar 2007, 1:07pm

noel: when you book on the B/Ferries website it will have an option for bike + passenger. B/Ferries is expensive (it's a long crossing) but fine. Enjoy your trip!

PS If you cannot find it, ask again and I will point it out for you.

wobblychainring

Postby wobblychainring » 20 Mar 2007, 5:48pm

...it's a nice crossing, and you can get good deals (sometimes). Use Brittany Ferries own website rather than a ferry agent website - these often don't mention bikes.

Just don't get on the ferry starving and eat your food before the ferry is past Plymouth breakwater - what starts as a smooth crossing may soon have you turning green!

Worth a visit to Ile de Batz before heading off from Roscoff - lovely little island.

dodger

Postby dodger » 20 Mar 2007, 9:24pm

Hi Noel
We had a lot of correspondence about this a few weeks ago, sparked off by my comments.
Basically, B/F only allows you to book 1 bike per party, so you have to book each person separately, and if you book with a credit card they charge you £3 each time.
They say they are trying to sort it, but in the meantime they say that you should just book 1 person and then phone customer services and amend your booking.
They aren't the cheapest around, but they have always been fine when I've travelled and, living in Cornwall, they are very handy,

GeoffL

Postby GeoffL » 20 Mar 2007, 10:29pm

dodger wrote:They aren't the cheapest around, but they have always been fine when I've travelled and, living in Cornwall, they are very handy,

I'll agree with that (also living in Cornwall - three miles from Millbay ferry terminal).

However, unless you want to tour Brittany specifically, the cheapest way for two or more to cross the channel is often to drive to Dover with the bikes in your car and then take the car (complete with bikes) over on Norfolk Line's service. I've just done a quick check and the cheapest I could get on BF was £70 return each as cyclists while a car containing two adults and two bikes only costs £45 return using Norfolk Line. Of course, you also have fuel, train fares, etc. to factor into the equation if you don't live within reasonable cycling distance of Plymouth or Dover.

HTH,

Geoff

noel JJ

Postby noel JJ » 21 Mar 2007, 2:14pm

thanks for the prompt reply if you see a couple with a lot of otlieb panniers in s/w England in late April give us a wave thanks again noel

jymjim

Postby jymjim » 1 Apr 2007, 4:09pm

It is possible to arrange taking two bikes on a single booking, it just requires a telephone call on their booking line and a quick chat to explain the situation.

You pay the same for the second bike as you do for the first.

I had to do this a little while back, and i actually ended up taking 3 bikes on anyway, although the third was bungeed to my overstuffed backpack.