that the 'ultimate commuter' is back

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
niggle

that the 'ultimate commuter' is back

Post by niggle »

Halfords have re-introduced the Carrera Subway 8, now with Alfine hub, disc brakes, eccentric bb and vertical drop-outs, Truvativ chainset, on special offer deal of £399.99 ('normal' price is £599.99)

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165534

"Features & Benefits of the Carrera Subway 8

* Shimano Alfine 8 speed hub gearing provides 8 individual ratios equivalent and helps ease challenging rides
* Shimano hydraulic disc brakes offer reliable and responsive braking performance
* Lightweight double butted 7005 series aluminium frame
* Lightweight and super stiff high grade chromoly forks
* Full front and rear pannier mounts allow for the easy transportation of luggage
* Full mudguards protect the rider from road mud and water spray"

Frame sizes 18" & 20"

I have one of the old models with Nexus hub and roller brakes, so I don't need one of these any time soon, but for anyone else I think this would be good buy for commuting and general running about, assuming you need the gear range. I also think it would make a good budget loaded tourer if you find the range adequate, lowering the gearing is child's play.
iow

Re: that the 'ultimate commuter' is back

Post by iow »

well spotted, thanks!
i was tempted on one of the 'run -out' nexus models when the were on offer. can't believe it's taken so long to bring this alfine model to market.
i agree, as a general run around it's very hard to beat.
mark
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

iow wrote: can't believe it's taken so long to bring this alfine model to market.

They go for a tried and tested design that is not the current top model. Alfine 8s are cheap now.

Looks pretty good, hydraulic brakes, mudguards and a geared hub.
niggle

Post by niggle »

gilesjuk wrote:
iow wrote: can't believe it's taken so long to bring this alfine model to market.

They go for a tried and tested design that is not the current top model. Alfine 8s are cheap now.

Looks pretty good, hydraulic brakes, mudguards and a geared hub.

Yes and typically good value compared to the competition as well. Other stuff I have spotted:

*The rear vertical dropouts will easily adapt to a derailleur set-up as there is a mech hanger in place, could be useful in an emergency.
*Rims are now Mavic jobs which is probably an improvement.
*Better/wider choice of dynohubs can be fitted due to the change to discs from roller brakes.
*Rear rack may be a bit harder to fit though due to lower mount points being a little way up the seat stays as consequence of rear disc fitment.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

Not to mention there's only one cable to connect to the hub and so Halfords can't mess it up :)

I'm guessing those are 26" wheels?
niggle

Post by niggle »

gilesjuk wrote:Not to mention there's only one cable to connect to the hub and so Halfords can't mess it up :)

I'm guessing those are 26" wheels?

Halfords can mess anything up given half a chance, so if you buy one of these its best to give it the once over yourself before riding, or get a proper LBS to IMO. It all seems to depend who does the PDI on the day at my local branch, had really bad issues on some builds, and perfectly OK results at other times.
EDIT: yes 26" wheels and you can fit most road going or MTB tyres of that diameter, mine has plenty of clearance for 2.1" tyres even with mudguards. It is quite a heavy old thing though and the ride is fairly average with 1.6" width tyres.
broadway

Post by broadway »

iow wrote:well spotted, thanks!
i was tempted on one of the 'run -out' nexus models when the were on offer. can't believe it's taken so long to bring this alfine model to market.
i agree, as a general run around it's very hard to beat.

It's been around for a while now, but not on the website. IIRC I saw one summer last year at full price.
cols3064

Post by cols3064 »

nice but ill keep my dawes countryman
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

That's an impressive amount of bicycle for the money. The only thing you could critise is that it doesn't have a pannier rack. Pity I don't actually need a hub geared commuter, I have two already.

Edit: (But I see it has pannier mount points).
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

How can the ideal commuter bike have straight bars?

Drop handlebars are essential for riding between lines of stationary cars without clipping every wing mirror.

My brother's got a Subway and he's pleased with it, but he's not a cycling enthusiast. I wouldn't want to ride such a bike on my 9 mile commute into Manchester every day. I'll stick with my 1990s 531 framed tourer with 700x28 tyres. It zips along faster than any Subway type bike.
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

I saw this on the website a month or so back when a friend at work was thinking about cycling in and I thought I'd look out a recommendation for her. I was almost tempted to get one myself just to get the parts off it to upgrade my Trek Soho. Since then I have a few other ideas and I am currently cotemplating putting my own ultimate commuter bike together - Gates Carbon Belt drive, NuVinci N360 hub gear, disc brakes and cytronex electric assist. Got to find a bike with the NuVinci hub on to test ride first though, same for the Cytronex assist.
7_lives_left

Post by 7_lives_left »

blackbike wrote:How can the ideal commuter bike have straight bars?

Drop handlebars are essential for riding between lines of stationary cars without clipping every wing mirror.

My brother's got a Subway and he's pleased with it, but he's not a cycling enthusiast. I wouldn't want to ride such a bike on my 9 mile commute into Manchester every day. I'll stick with my 1990s 531 framed tourer with 700x28 tyres. It zips along faster than any Subway type bike.

I would agree with what you say about drops being preferable but it is difficult to setup a hub geared bike without using straight bars because of the gear controls. Ditto the brake levers. The only other alternative is butterfly bars and they are even wider.
niggle

Post by niggle »

I have commuted, 6 miles each way, with both a 1980s 531 frame tourer with drops and the Subway 8, and I found the latter is quicker............. when you factor in the time needed to look after any decent derailleur equipped touring bike, which will need attention at least weekly of various kinds, especially properly cleaning and lubing the chain but also cleaning, lubing and/or adjusting brakes, derailleurs, cassette, chainset, cables, etc., particularly through the winter.

With the Subway I just shove it back in the garage when I get home, and servicing is truly minimal in comparison, certainly not a weekly chore, plus I never feel compelled to clean it. It is also a fair bit cheaper to run, with no brake pads to wear out, no rim wear and longer lasting chain, sprocket and chain ring.

As for "Drop handlebars are essential for riding between lines of stationary cars without clipping every wing mirror.", well maybe so in Manchester, but I have very little of that kind of filtering to do and even then there is plenty of space. However I do own a road bike with drops, and do ride it to work on some dry days in daylight, often going in the long way. Obviously its a lot quicker on the road (bit quicker than the tourer was as well), but with this selective use I don't have to go through a massive cleaning operation at the weekend like I would if I was using it every day.
niggle

Post by niggle »

7_lives_left wrote:

I would agree with what you say about drops being preferable but it is difficult to setup a hub geared bike without using straight bars because of the gear controls. Ditto the brake levers. The only other alternative is butterfly bars and they are even wider.

Well if you have deep pockets you can get STIs: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/8-speed-vers ... prod21918/
Or for a bit less you can bar end shifters: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/8-speed-jtek ... rc=froogle
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

An upright riding position is safer amongst traffic. You can see over obstacles better.

Also, the default bar length can be changed. A quick spin with a copper pipe cutter and your bars can be any length.