Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
byegad
Posts: 3232
Joined: 3 Sep 2007, 9:44am

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby byegad » 22 May 2011, 11:56am

graymee wrote:Why? To stop cable stretch? New cables, other than pre stretched ones, will stretch a little when fitted then reach a fixed length after a short while then stay that way. I leave my bike in the gear I want to set off in. I can see absolutely no benefit in leaving your bike on the smallest chainring/sprocket.


I agree. There may be a very slight benefit in changing to the slackest setting, this will vary front to back and with top normal and bottom normal dérailleurs. In practice I usually snap a strand at one end or the other before I need to alter the indexing due to stretch. Snapping strands is usually due to friction at the entrance/exit of outers, not tension per se.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine

Moodyman1

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby Moodyman1 » 22 May 2011, 11:59am

My derailleur bikes - small ring front front & small ring rear. Saves the derailleur springs.

My Alfine bike - lowest gear

alicej
Posts: 1301
Joined: 14 Oct 2010, 10:16pm
Location: Leeds, West Yorkshire

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby alicej » 22 May 2011, 12:36pm

I live on a hill, so I really need to leave the bike in a gear I can start up the hill in. Also I'm on a big main road, so I need to get up speed reasonably quickly - wouldn't fancy trying to start in too low a gear 'cos I'd be likely to wobble a bit too much just when I'm trying to pull out into traffic. It'd be well worth a little extra wear on the cables and springs not to have this inconvenience every time I leave the house in an uphill direction!

User avatar
hubgearfreak
Posts: 8210
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 4:14pm

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby hubgearfreak » 22 May 2011, 2:13pm

Jonty wrote:I got the advice to put my S/A 1965 hub 4 gear into top gear from the Moulton site when not riding. This is no problem with a hub gear as before you ride you can simply engage third or second gear before moving off.


it's good advice i reckon. and like you say, there's no reason not to do it as you can change into 1 or 2 at the flick of a trigger unlike on lesser variable gear systems :wink:

User avatar
simonineaston
Posts: 2309
Joined: 9 May 2007, 1:06pm
Location: Bristol - work in... Yate!

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby simonineaston » 22 May 2011, 2:28pm

I'll pop this thread in the box labelled 'Things Life's Too Short To Worry About'.
ttfn, Simon in Easton
(currently enjoying a Moulton TSR & a nano Brompton...)

gilesjuk
Posts: 3270
Joined: 17 Mar 2008, 10:10pm

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby gilesjuk » 22 May 2011, 4:48pm

boblo wrote:Are Rohloffs immune to cable stretch? :D


Fairly. On my hub with the external shifter there are two cables which are turning a pulley, the pulley is turning a nut which changes the gear.

If the cables stretch then all that happens is the gripshift starts to get play in it. All the indexing is done inside the hub and so the cable stretch doesn't affect the shifting very much.

The cables are not under tension and there is no spring, so less cable stretch.

User avatar
Mick F
Spambuster
Posts: 48241
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 11:24am
Location: Tamar Valley, Cornwall

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby Mick F » 22 May 2011, 5:03pm

simonineaston wrote:I'll pop this thread in the box labelled 'Things Life's Too Short To Worry About'.

I'll also pop this info into my "Things I Didn't Know About Rohloffs, but it Doesn't Matter Anyway" box.

I still reckon that derailleur equipped bikes look better when in top gear. No mechanical reason for this, it's just that they look better.

A better pose.
Mick F. Cornwall

boblo
Posts: 614
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 7:35pm

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby boblo » 22 May 2011, 5:28pm

Mick F wrote:<snip>
I still reckon that derailleur equipped bikes look better when in top gear. No mechanical reason for this, it's just that they look better.
A better pose.


That's why it's 'the law' to take photo's of bikes in big ring/mid to small sprocket. This 'law' also states tyre logos and tube valves must be aligned and valves are always at 6 oclock :D

User avatar
hubgearfreak
Posts: 8210
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 4:14pm

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby hubgearfreak » 22 May 2011, 7:50pm

boblo wrote:That's why it's 'the law' to take photo's of bikes in big ring/mid to small sprocket.


it matters not, derailliers look inelegant in whatever gear they're in

User avatar
Si
Moderator
Posts: 15084
Joined: 5 Jan 2007, 7:37pm

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby Si » 23 May 2011, 8:33am

hubgearfreak wrote:
boblo wrote:That's why it's 'the law' to take photo's of bikes in big ring/mid to small sprocket.


it matters not, derailliers look inelegant in whatever gear they're in


Yeah, but you only ever get to see them from behind :twisted:

User avatar
hubgearfreak
Posts: 8210
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 4:14pm

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby hubgearfreak » 23 May 2011, 9:38am

Si wrote:Yeah, but you only ever get to see them from behind :twisted:


try not to, that flat sided wheel really upsets my aesthetic and engineering sensibilities :?

xpc316e
Posts: 291
Joined: 5 Sep 2008, 11:10pm
Location: Bury St Edmunds, UK

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby xpc316e » 23 May 2011, 7:59pm

graymee wrote:
Chris the Sheep wrote:
Why not let the ratchet of a handbrake click? That's what it's designed for! I've never heard of one wearing out.



When I was taught how to drive (at a Police driving school) it was drummed into me not to drag the handbrake up the ratchet, but to depress the button whilst applying it. The reason given was that the teeth on the ratchet would eventually round off, and the handbrake wouldn't stay on. What a load of old cobblers I thought, but I complied with instructions. Years later I stopped a Ford Cortina in which the driver lifted up the handbrake lever and then laid a Mole wrench between the two front seat cushions to stop it from falling back to the floor because the teeth on the ratchet had worn smooth.

QED.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'bents trike, a Moulton-based tandem, a Scott CR1 Comp, and the latest acquisition, a custom-built SWB, above seat steered recumbent.

User avatar
hubgearfreak
Posts: 8210
Joined: 7 Jan 2007, 4:14pm

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby hubgearfreak » 23 May 2011, 8:18pm

i agree with xpc. even if you think it's doing no harm, why risk it?

Tandem Man
Posts: 233
Joined: 22 Jun 2007, 9:14pm
Location: Wakefield,West Riding of Yorkshire

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby Tandem Man » 25 May 2011, 8:34pm

xpc316e wrote:
graymee wrote:
Chris the Sheep wrote:
Why not let the ratchet of a handbrake click? That's what it's designed for! I've never heard of one wearing out.



When I was taught how to drive (at a Police driving school) it was drummed into me not to drag the handbrake up the ratchet, but to depress the button whilst applying it. The reason given was that the teeth on the ratchet would eventually round off, and the handbrake wouldn't stay on. What a load of old cobblers I thought, but I complied with instructions. Years later I stopped a Ford Cortina in which the driver lifted up the handbrake lever and then laid a Mole wrench between the two front seat cushions to stop it from falling back to the floor because the teeth on the ratchet had worn smooth.

QED.



Yes I was always taught by my driving instructor not to use the ratchet,never have done since.

Second nature now and strangely it annoys me when other people do it.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield

boblo
Posts: 614
Joined: 24 Sep 2009, 7:35pm

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Postby boblo » 25 May 2011, 8:39pm

I miss my ratshift, bloody buttons just don't feel the same :-)