Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
byegad

Re: Keeping bikes in highest gear when not in use

Post by byegad »

graymee wrote:Why? To stop cable stretch? New cables, other than pre stretched ones, will stretch a little when fitted then reach a fixed length after a short while then stay that way. I leave my bike in the gear I want to set off in. I can see absolutely no benefit in leaving your bike on the smallest chainring/sprocket.

I agree. There may be a very slight benefit in changing to the slackest setting, this will vary front to back and with top normal and bottom normal dérailleurs. In practice I usually snap a strand at one end or the other before I need to alter the indexing due to stretch. Snapping strands is usually due to friction at the entrance/exit of outers, not tension per se.
"I thought of that while riding my bike." -Albert Einstein, on the Theory of Relativity

2007 ICE QNT
2008 Hase Kettwiesel AL27
2011 Catrike Trail
1951 engine
Moodyman1

Post by Moodyman1 »

My derailleur bikes - small ring front front & small ring rear. Saves the derailleur springs.

My Alfine bike - lowest gear
alicej

Post by alicej »

I live on a hill, so I really need to leave the bike in a gear I can start up the hill in. Also I'm on a big main road, so I need to get up speed reasonably quickly - wouldn't fancy trying to start in too low a gear 'cos I'd be likely to wobble a bit too much just when I'm trying to pull out into traffic. It'd be well worth a little extra wear on the cables and springs not to have this inconvenience every time I leave the house in an uphill direction!
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Jonty wrote:I got the advice to put my S/A 1965 hub 4 gear into top gear from the Moulton site when not riding. This is no problem with a hub gear as before you ride you can simply engage third or second gear before moving off.

it's good advice i reckon. and like you say, there's no reason not to do it as you can change into 1 or 2 at the flick of a trigger unlike on lesser variable gear systems :wink:
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

I'll pop this thread in the box labelled 'Things Life's Too Short To Worry About'.
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

boblo wrote:Are Rohloffs immune to cable stretch? :D

Fairly. On my hub with the external shifter there are two cables which are turning a pulley, the pulley is turning a nut which changes the gear.

If the cables stretch then all that happens is the gripshift starts to get play in it. All the indexing is done inside the hub and so the cable stretch doesn't affect the shifting very much.

The cables are not under tension and there is no spring, so less cable stretch.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

simonineaston wrote:I'll pop this thread in the box labelled 'Things Life's Too Short To Worry About'.

I'll also pop this info into my "Things I Didn't Know About Rohloffs, but it Doesn't Matter Anyway" box.

I still reckon that derailleur equipped bikes look better when in top gear. No mechanical reason for this, it's just that they look better.

A better pose.
Mick F. Cornwall
boblo

Post by boblo »

Mick F wrote:<snip>
I still reckon that derailleur equipped bikes look better when in top gear. No mechanical reason for this, it's just that they look better.
A better pose.

That's why it's 'the law' to take photo's of bikes in big ring/mid to small sprocket. This 'law' also states tyre logos and tube valves must be aligned and valves are always at 6 oclock :D
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

boblo wrote:That's why it's 'the law' to take photo's of bikes in big ring/mid to small sprocket.

it matters not, derailliers look inelegant in whatever gear they're in
Si

Post by Si »

hubgearfreak wrote:
boblo wrote:That's why it's 'the law' to take photo's of bikes in big ring/mid to small sprocket.

it matters not, derailliers look inelegant in whatever gear they're in

Yeah, but you only ever get to see them from behind :twisted:
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

Si wrote:Yeah, but you only ever get to see them from behind :twisted:

try not to, that flat sided wheel really upsets my aesthetic and engineering sensibilities :?
xpc316e

Post by xpc316e »

graymee wrote:
Chris the Sheep wrote:
Why not let the ratchet of a handbrake click? That's what it's designed for! I've never heard of one wearing out.

When I was taught how to drive (at a Police driving school) it was drummed into me not to drag the handbrake up the ratchet, but to depress the button whilst applying it. The reason given was that the teeth on the ratchet would eventually round off, and the handbrake wouldn't stay on. What a load of old cobblers I thought, but I complied with instructions. Years later I stopped a Ford Cortina in which the driver lifted up the handbrake lever and then laid a Mole wrench between the two front seat cushions to stop it from falling back to the floor because the teeth on the ratchet had worn smooth.

QED.
Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, an early 90s Vision R30 above seat steered recumbent, and the latest acquisition, a Haibike Sduro Trekking 4.0 electric bike.
hubgearfreak

Post by hubgearfreak »

i agree with xpc. even if you think it's doing no harm, why risk it?
Tandem Man

Post by Tandem Man »

xpc316e wrote:
graymee wrote:
Chris the Sheep wrote:
Why not let the ratchet of a handbrake click? That's what it's designed for! I've never heard of one wearing out.

When I was taught how to drive (at a Police driving school) it was drummed into me not to drag the handbrake up the ratchet, but to depress the button whilst applying it. The reason given was that the teeth on the ratchet would eventually round off, and the handbrake wouldn't stay on. What a load of old cobblers I thought, but I complied with instructions. Years later I stopped a Ford Cortina in which the driver lifted up the handbrake lever and then laid a Mole wrench between the two front seat cushions to stop it from falling back to the floor because the teeth on the ratchet had worn smooth.

QED.

Yes I was always taught by my driving instructor not to use the ratchet,never have done since.

Second nature now and strangely it annoys me when other people do it.

Ian
Ian From Wakefield
boblo

Post by boblo »

I miss my ratshift, bloody buttons just don't feel the same :-)