Helmets in Spain

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
chalky

Helmets in Spain

Post by chalky »

We are going to Rosas (N.Spain) in Sept. by the Bike Bus. We have been before several times and as far as we are aware it is not compulsory to wear helmets ie when it is hot, going uphill and in a built up area, is this still the case? Does anyone know.
Tandem Man

Re: Helmets in Spain

Post by Tandem Man »

Ian From Wakefield
chalky

Post by chalky »

Thank you. More or less as I thought.
cadseen

Post by cadseen »

I have never wore one yet, and not had any trouble.
Fred Ivory

Post by Fred Ivory »

Hi assume, you will be taking out travel insurance?, please tell the insurance company you are cycling etc.,
its very interesting, they may come back with helmet is compulsory, strange thing insurance?, o.k. Fred
toontra

Post by toontra »

I'm in Spain at the moment - just finishing a 2 week tour of the southern Sierras. Been passed by many police and not a word said. Mind you the temperature has been in the mid 40s so maybe they are taking pity!
cardiac

Post by cardiac »

Likewise, cycled through center of Spain last June even asked a policeman for directions never wore a cycle helmet and never challenged

Cardiac
horizon

Post by horizon »

I cycled to Malaga airport without a helmet and on the motorway. However there is some anecdotal evidence of threats of fines so it not all Rosas.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
iviehoff

Post by iviehoff »

When I went to Spain a couple of years ago, as far as I could see only the racing cyclists wore helmets. Hardly anyone else did.
flyingelephant

Post by flyingelephant »

I feel naked without my helmet these days. Kept the lid on when cycing in the pico's a few years back. But I'm converted to their use after cracking open a couple.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

flyingelephant wrote:But I'm converted to their use after cracking open a couple.

Why? Do they keep the smell away??