Glucosamine Sulphate.

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )

Does Glucosamine Sulphate help cyclists' knees?

Yes
26%
Who Knows
38%
No better than any other Placebo
36%

Total votes: 50

meic

Glucosamine Sulphate.

Postby meic » 31 May 2011, 7:57pm

The latest scientific fashion is that this stuff is a waste of time and money

http://www.presstv.ir/detail/142959.html

http://arthritis.about.com/od/glucosami ... mineoa.htm

(links pinched from one of Tonyf33's posts.)

Yet many Luddites like myself are more inclined to believe their own anecdotal experiences.

Who is a believer or a dis-believer.
Yma o Hyd

mill4six

Re: Glucosamine Sulphate.

Postby mill4six » 31 May 2011, 9:31pm

I'm taking it but am still in the undecided camp.

hondated

Postby hondated » 31 May 2011, 9:55pm

Great according to these reports I have been throwing money down the drain for years then.

LollyKat

Postby LollyKat » 31 May 2011, 10:11pm

Maybe the poll should be "Does Glucosamine help your knees.

It has definitely helped mine, and I don't care if it is a placebo effect!

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 31 May 2011, 11:09pm

Some 15 years ago I began to get almost crippling pains in my knees after being on them for any length of time and dreaded fitting skirtingboards (part of my job) .We used to do quite a bit of hillwalking then too,going up the hill no problem,coming down was a real problem and I took to using walking poles,cycling wasn't a problem.
Quite by chance I spoke to an alternative medicine guru called Dennis Gore ( also known as Dennis the chemist,google it),he's also a chemist.
He advised me to try G/S at 1500mgs (standard dose),he said to try it for 6 to 8 weeks and if things didn't improve to stop taking it as it weren't going to help.Four weeks into them and I had new knees,I still take it and had no trouble since :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 1 Jun 2011, 8:22am

I took it for years, honestly believing that it worked.

I read a good book about arthritis and GS was the only thing that came out of it with any use. I bought some and found my knees and all my joints feeling better. I really believed in it, and waxed greatly on this very forum about how good it was!

I've since spoken to people about this and read more stuff, and now I don't take it.

Any difference?

Not a jot.
Mick F. Cornwall

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 1 Jun 2011, 9:02am

Mick
How is it long since you stopped taking G/S,Dennis the Chemist explained to me that G/S replaces the shock absorbing material between joints that after middle age the body doesn't produce as good as it did in formative years.
That said, it could be that you're still benefiting from the G/S.
I stop taking it occasionally for sometimes two months or more and theres no difference,but the difference was marked when I first started taking it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

Jonty

Postby Jonty » 1 Jun 2011, 9:14am

It's the same for vitamin pills IMO. Load of cobblers. Just eat a balanced diet including fat and protein and not too much and not too little. If you're unwell or can't eat properly then it may be different as perscribed by your doctor. You can over-load your body with vitamins etc. which can be bad for you. I think the Dutch have banned foods with fortified vitamens in cereals. That's why they're also banned Marmite.
The British vitamin industry is huge and most of it is simply flushed down the lavatory having gone through your system.
I often go on a rant when I see newpaper articles on fitness peppered with adverts for vitamin pills and GS.
Complete misrepresentation.
I also can go on a rant when I read articles written by nincompops on health eating. They say eat more vegetables and less red meat. Load of cobblers. Only eat more vegetables if you're not eating enough and only eat less meat if you're eating too much. If you eat too much vegetables you'll get the runs and if you eat too little meat you could suffer from vitamin D deficiency unless you become a nutter.
Complete incoherent misleading idiots.
jonty

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 1 Jun 2011, 9:16am

I've been taking Glucosamine & Chondroitin tabs for about ten years.

I've been on A-Z multivits, Lecithin capsules, Ginko and Ginseng and loads of other stuff for about thirty years.

What's knee pain? Never had it.

Got my Randonneurs 300 badge and Randonneurs 1000 series three years ago. Taken up time trialing now I'm a V50, and won a couple of ten milers with 0:28:40 and 0:28:50. Not exceptionally fast but I had to ride home after them so I didn't give it my all.

I'm now on Alpha Lipoic acid and Acetyl-L-Carnitine as well as the aforementioned. Anti - aging :wink:

anniesboy

Postby anniesboy » 1 Jun 2011, 9:22am

My wife suffers from rheumatoid arthritis ,she has been taking it for somewhile.This was on the advice of her consultant ,so who knows.

As for knees the old adage "pedal don't push" helps in the prevention of knee problems.

Ayesha

Postby Ayesha » 1 Jun 2011, 9:33am

Jonty wrote:It's the same for vitamin pills IMO. Load of cobblers. Just eat a balanced diet including fat and protein and not too much and not too little. If you're unwell or can't eat properly then it may be different as perscribed by your doctor. You can over-load your body with vitamins etc. which can be bad for you. I think the Dutch have banned foods with fortified vitamens in cereals. That's why they're also banned Marmite.
The British vitamin industry is huge and most of it is simply flushed down the lavatory having gone through your system.
I often go on a rant when I see newpaper articles on fitness peppered with adverts for vitamin pills and GS.
I also can go on a rant when I read articles written by nincompops on health eating. They say eat more vegetables and less red meat. Load of cobblers. Only eat more vegetables if you're not eating enough and only eat less meat if you're eating too much. If you eat too much vegetables you'll get the runs and if you eat too little meat you could suffer from vitamin D deficiency unless you become a nutter.
jonty

What one has to remember is vitamin supplements are indeed a waste of time for a sedentary person who eats a balanced diet.

Here, we are talking about individuals who exercise ( cycling ) more than just a regular 10 miles a day. These people also eat erratically, trying to keep bodyweight down and strength/stamina up. Then there are all the cakes?? Lots of kcals but bugger all vitamins and minerals. All washed down with more than a usual helping of water based fluids to be sweated out with what minerals the body has.

BTW, its 'nin-com-poop'.... cheerily taken from 'Non compos mentis'.

pedalsheep

Postby pedalsheep » 1 Jun 2011, 9:47am

I've been taking them for a couple of years in the hope that they may help prevent knee problems as I start to get older (early 50s).As you can get a months supply from Poundland its hardly a great financial loss if they don't do any good and a sound investment if they do!
'Why cycling for joy is not the most popular pastime on earth is still a mystery to me.'
Frank J Urry, Salute to Cycling, 1956.

Jonty

Postby Jonty » 1 Jun 2011, 10:23am

Ayesha wrote:I've been taking Glucosamine & Chondroitin tabs for about ten years.

I've been on A-Z multivits, Lecithin capsules, Ginko and Ginseng and loads of other stuff for about thirty years.

What's knee pain? Never had it.

Got my Randonneurs 300 badge and Randonneurs 1000 series three years ago. Taken up time trialing now I'm a V50, and won a couple of ten milers with 0:28:40 and 0:28:50. Not exceptionally fast but I had to ride home after them so I didn't give it my all.

I'm now on Alpha Lipoic acid and Acetyl-L-Carnitine as well as the aforementioned. Anti - aging :wink:

Words fail me! :wink:
jonty

Jonty

Postby Jonty » 1 Jun 2011, 10:25am

pedalsheep wrote:I've been taking them for a couple of years in the hope that they may help prevent knee problems as I start to get older (early 50s).As you can get a months supply from Poundland its hardly a great financial loss if they don't do any good and a sound investment if they do!

The logic seems to be buy insurance because it's cheap although there's no proof it will pay out. :wink:
jonty

Jonty

Postby Jonty » 1 Jun 2011, 10:28am

Ayesha wrote:
Jonty wrote:It's the same for vitamin pills IMO. Load of cobblers. Just eat a balanced diet including fat and protein and not too much and not too little. If you're unwell or can't eat properly then it may be different as perscribed by your doctor. You can over-load your body with vitamins etc. which can be bad for you. I think the Dutch have banned foods with fortified vitamens in cereals. That's why they're also banned Marmite.
jonty

What one has to remember is vitamin supplements are indeed a waste of time for a sedentary person who eats a balanced diet.

Here, we are talking about individuals who exercise ( cycling ) more than just a regular 10 miles a day. These people also eat erratically, trying to keep bodyweight down and strength/stamina up. Then there are all the cakes?? Lots of kcals but bugger all vitamins and minerals. All washed down with more than a usual helping of water based fluids to be sweated out with what minerals the body has.

BTW, its 'nin-com-poop'.... cheerily taken from 'Non compos mentis'.

If you exercise a bit more simply eat a bit more. Being highly suggestible you must be an ad-person's dream. :wink:
jonty