Cycle Clothing "Made in Europe"

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
oldlegs

Cycle Clothing "Made in Europe"

Post by oldlegs »

Please can anyone tell me if there are any cycling clothing manufacturers that produce their apparel within the EU?

From my recent discussions (with I admit only a few retailers) it appears that everything comes out of the Far East. In these difficult economic times I'd like to buy my next touring gear from preferably a UK manufacturer or, failing that, one that produces within the EU.

I was rather taken aback yesterday to receive confirmation from Rapha that all the items I was interested in only two were UK sourced - gloves and neckerchief, all the rest: jerseys, shorts, and jackets were all made in China!

So can anyone help identify a "local" producer of quality kit from their experiences?
At the mercy of advancing old age.
eileithyia

Re: Cycle Clothing "Made in Europe"

Post by eileithyia »

How far do you want to go with this, clothing manufactured in EU or UK or the whole kit ie materials as well?

ImpSport, Tudor Sport, Corinne Dennis, are examples of UK manufacturers
Giordana, Inverse, Santini, are examples of EU manufacturers but where their clothing is actually made could be a different matter.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
steady eddy

Post by steady eddy »

Shutt VR made in England
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Lusso is made in Manchester :)
And they make some very good kit too!( their shorts don't wear thin and show you're Assos :P )
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Father Jack

Post by Father Jack »

If' it's not made in Far East it'll be made in the soviet bloc (Poland or Romania)
oldlegs

Post by oldlegs »

Many thanks everyone for the swift response. Appreciated.

To clarify eileithyia - so long as the final assembly (i.e sewing up to completed garment) is taking place within the EU then I'm very happy with that. It would I believe be almost impossible for all the materials that go into a garment to originate from within the EU. However it could be great if that could be so. But, I very much appreciate the long list of possibilities that you have raised: ImpSport, Tudor Sport, Corinne Dennis, and Giordana, Inverse, Santini,

reohn2 - I'll look for Lusso - thanks.
steady eddy - likewise will investigate Schutt

So lots of interesting research to do. Wonderful.
cycloret

Post by cycloret »

A sheet advertising Corrine Dennis Clothing has been included with recent issues of the CTC "Cycle" magazine.
http://www.corinnedennis.co.uk/
Father Jack

Post by Father Jack »

Need proof they're made in the UK, is a loophole about this. One company I know gets it imported from China, finishes assembly, and then allowed to state "made in the UK"
LANDSURFER74

Post by LANDSURFER74 »

Bit like Macdonalds "British beef" ... that comes from Ireland !!
Father Jack

Post by Father Jack »

LANDSURFER74 wrote:Bit like Macdonalds "British beef" ... that comes from Ireland !!

So that's where carpet and cardboard recycling goes to. Thought Mc Donalds reminds me of something
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

In these hard times I want to get more stuff from China if its better value, or any country for that matter.

They say hard times increase the nation's appetite for jingoism.
oldlegs

Post by oldlegs »

Nutsey - I'm not into jingoism or any kind of racism at all - rather I personally feel more comfortable buying as close to home as possible for all types of products for all sorts of reasons. The J & R do not appear on my list of reasons.

Father Jack - thanks for the heads-up on the legal loophole - that's a bit like Swiss Watches. Mondaine and Swatch only do the final assembly of component parts that are all manufactured in the far east, but, that act of assembly legally enables them to pronounce their products "Made in Switzerland".

cycloret - thanks for the Corrinne Dennis link
chesterpete

Post by chesterpete »

Not cycle specific, but touring/general winter wear try PHD. Top top quality and made in Cheshire:
http://www.phdesigns.co.uk/manufacturing.php
Hypocacculus

Post by Hypocacculus »

oldlegs wrote:

Father Jack - thanks for the heads-up on the legal loophole - that's a bit like Swiss Watches. Mondaine and Swatch only do the final assembly of component parts that are all manufactured in the far east, but, that act of assembly legally enables them to pronounce their products "Made in Switzerland".

Um, that is not strictly true. To be called "Swiss made" a substantial percentage of the value of the item (something like 60% at a rough guess) must be manufactured in Switzerland. Although, that still means that all the cheap components can be made abroad and nothing but the fancy gold bracelet is made in Switzerland, it is still more stringent than the Brits and many other countries. At least the Swiss still have a watch industry, which is more than you can say for the Brits and the Americans. Open up a watch and many movements say "unadjusted" on them. This is (was) so that the importer could say that it was a component rather than a finished article, tweak the timing, and avoid tax.
Nutsey

Post by Nutsey »

yes its all very confusing trying to find out where something was actually made, if you care. I've recently bought a fender guitar, but it turns out to have been 'made' in several countries, and over the years has had different labelling to change with the smallprint/loopholes. "made in japan" to "crafted in japan",but sourced from elsewhere, and assembled in mexico, or something.

I couldn't care less, as the quality is better than the more expensive "american" version. (but will replace some of the crappy jap electronics with better america stuff at somepoint).

I'm happy to do my research and find my optimal quality/price tradeoff regardless of where it comes from.