Hot feet

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Mick F
Spambuster

Hot feet

Post by Mick F »

Riding yesterday in the hot sunshine and my feet were burning hot! Can't blame the shoes, because I've suffered like this before with other shoes over the years. The sun was beating down and no doubt the tarmac was hot because most of the heat seemed to be on the soles of my feet.

Is there a remedy?
Does anyone else suffer like this?

I was tired and thirsty - didn't take enough water with me :oops: and my hot feet made everything worse.
Mick F. Cornwall
Hypocacculus

Re: Hot feet

Post by Hypocacculus »

I'm notorious for cold feet. But I find old fashioned sandals, (I have old fashioned toe clips), are nice on a hot day. I can feel the breeze between my toes...
anniesboy

Post by anniesboy »

My wife suffers,she has Plantar fasciitis.
If you Google "cyclists hotfoot" there will lots of suggestions ,as to how to deal with it.
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

cycle sandals with SPD `s
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Peppermint foot rub before and after - and not just cycling either ;-)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I did a very hard hilly century yesterday in 25degrees and a cloudless sky,I had enough to drink and eat.
I began to suffer from hot feet at about 60miles,first thing was to take off my socks which made things cooler,I also sat in the shade with my feet on cool concrete for 20minutes or so whilst having a cuppa,after which I had slight problems for the rest of the ride,I was completely empty when I got home,and still felt a little stiff and tired this morning,which I wouldn't normally after a similar ride.After a 25mile trundle today I felt much better.
I think the problem is that we're not used to hot weather and so don't become acclimatised to it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

Oh I wish hot feet was a problem, across the Pennines in North Yorks/South Teeside this afternoon if was far from being a problem, taking enough clothing or rather lack of was more the problem :lol: :lol:
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
essexman

Post by essexman »

..there was an spd sandal thread that ran recently. I thibk shimano did a pair
I hate snow.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

essexman wrote:..there was an spd sandal thread that ran recently. I thibk shimano did a pair

I wear mine that often that I was twenty miles out when it dawned on me that I actually had a pair :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks for the info, but sandals and road cleats don't go together very well. I like the idea of taking my shoes and socks off and finding cool concrete! Sounds like bliss!

Weather completely different today though, cool and cloudy.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

I bought a new pair of SPD shoes last week, Paul in the LBS asked me if I was ok breaking them in, in view of my forthcoming ride I knew I had at least a couple of hundred miles to ride before 11th of June so I wasn't particularly bothered, I called in on Saturday for a new pump (Shhh dont tell she who shouldn't be named) and Paul asked how they were? great! very comfy anddidn't need breaking in,Specialized touring shoe but they have a mesh in the toes and sides and it lets in lots of air so my toes get a bit chilly because my feet get damp with sweat. I'm thinking a bit of "Gaffer tape" might not go amiss. Come to think of it a short length might not go amiss on the side of my head at the moment :lol: see viewtopic.php?f=15&t=51818

Having said that I've been out all day 100 miles in the rain and it's not been to bad, must be getting used to them :)

Have you tried using trainer liners and a new insole, rather than ordinary socks? they are usualy thin cotton.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
gilesjuk

Post by gilesjuk »

White shoes?
Ayesha

Post by Ayesha »

gilesjuk wrote:White shoes?

WIDE shoes. Let your feet breath.

Additionally, after a serious amount of training, pulling up on the upstroke a bit and a not-so-hard press on the downstroke alleviates 'hot foot' quite remarkably.
kyussmondo

Post by kyussmondo »

I wear my touring SPD shoes and cycle socks and my feet stay cool. They used to get hot when I wore standard socks.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Insloes.
Sounds a good idea, and 100% cotton cycling socks too, rather than poly-cotton cheapos I use.
Mick F. Cornwall