How long before 9 speed is obselete?/ choosing a new bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
CyberKnight

How long before 9 speed is obselete?/ choosing a new bike

Postby CyberKnight » 4 Jun 2011, 5:08pm

I am considering buying a new bike and i am torn between a 9 speed or a 10 speed cassette...

The bike with the 9 speed cassette will be all the bike i am ever going to get the use out and has the same spec as the more expensive bike except for the groupset.On another forum they are trying to convince me that 9 speed is dead and you will not be able to get parts but the LBS says that is twaddle as there are just to many about for manufacturers to stop making parts for them.

Does anyone have a definite answer ?

Bike choice of page 4 ...
Last edited by CyberKnight on 8 Jun 2011, 4:02pm, edited 1 time in total.
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

meic

Re: How long before 9 speed is obselete?

Postby meic » 4 Jun 2011, 5:22pm

I am still getting 8 speed stuff. How long ago did 9 speed appear and I guess you must have a similar length of time to go, at least.

The advent of 10 speed just means that the prices of 9 speed are tumbling and now is the time to buy 9 speed.
Five years ago I went 8 speed because of the relative prices, now they are almost the same.

I think that I would not "upgrade" to 10 speed for at least another 5 years.
Though in reality I may just downgrade to 8 speed. 8)
Yma o Hyd

[XAP]Bob

Postby [XAP]Bob » 4 Jun 2011, 5:22pm

We're starting to see the demise of 7 speed - 9 has a few decades left (unless someone comes up with a rolhoff that weights 30g and costs 40p)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

WrightsW5

Postby WrightsW5 » 4 Jun 2011, 5:35pm

I'd prefer 1 speed, fixed or single :)

irc

Postby irc » 4 Jun 2011, 6:00pm

I find 9 speed needs more accurate setting up and more ongoing adjustments than 8 speed. This is because the shifters are having to move the derailler, accurately, smaller distances and there is less margin for error. 10 speed wil,l I assume, suffer the same drawbacks compared to 9 speed.

For this reason I wouldn't buy a 10 speed while 9 speed is still on the market and will have parts available for many years.

Some users, primarily racers, may get other advantages like closer gear ranges, or weight savings by going from 3x9 to 2x10 gears. For touring I think 10 speed is a downgrade.
No one believes more firmly than Comrade Napoleon that all animals are equal. He would be only too happy to let you make your decisions for yourselves. But sometimes you might make the wrong decisions, comrades, and then where should we be?

reohn2

Postby reohn2 » 4 Jun 2011, 6:18pm

[XAP]Bob wrote:We're starting to see the demise of 7 speed - 9 has a few decades left (unless someone comes up with a rolhoff that weights 30g and costs 40p)

:) :) :)

I'm still able to get 7speed cassettes no problem,9sp has a long way to go methinks/hopes, as I shudder to think of the cost of upgrading four sets of STI's to ten speed units :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
I cycle therefore I am.

uphillbothways

Postby uphillbothways » 4 Jun 2011, 6:54pm

6-speed Shimano kit is still in production, albeit as the very low-end Tourney. Sturmey-Sunrace are still making 5-speed freewheels. You can still buy cottered cranks for goodness sake. I honestly can't think of a situation in which a bicycle would have to be upgraded because of parts going out of production. Can anyone else?

meic

Postby meic » 4 Jun 2011, 7:04pm

I imagine that you could keep the spacers from your nine speed cassettes and remake 9 speeds from the 10 speeds that you could still buy.
Or you can buy shiftmates or foregoe indexing.
The 10 speed chains will still work on 9 speed (wont they?)

I dont think that anything will be beyond our initiative.

On the other hand it is already a matter of luck to find Uniglide hubs and cassettes nowadays which forces you into having to make modifications or complete upgrade.
That took 24 years to happen.
Yma o Hyd

mr riff raff

Postby mr riff raff » 4 Jun 2011, 7:18pm

Get the 10. If it's a completely new bike for you why start off out of date?
Unless it's Campag, in which case, 10 speed's days are numbered as well.

CyberKnight wrote:I am considering buying a new bike and i am torn between a 9 speed or a 10 speed cassette...

The bike with the 9 speed cassette will be all the bike i am ever going to get the use out and has the same spec as the more expensive bike except for the groupset.On another forum they are trying to convince me that 9 speed is dead and you will not be able to get parts but the LBS says that is twaddle as there are just to many about for manufacturers to stop making parts for them.

Does anyone have a definite answer ?
Politicians are wonderful people as long as they stay away from things they don't understand, such as working for a living.

531colin

Postby 531colin » 4 Jun 2011, 7:21pm

All the time there is money to be made, somebody will produce spares for stuff that Shimano want us to throw away.**
For example, SRAM produce 7, 8 , & 9 speed cassettes that are shimano/Sram indexing compatible.
Also, there are lots of Shimano bits that Madison don't bring into the UK....have a look at Rose Versand's English language site for individual sprockets, and other odd stuff.
** Does this happen with Campag, or are there just too many different systems?
Miche do campag and shimano cassettes, even some with each other's spline pattern!!

blackbike

Postby blackbike » 4 Jun 2011, 11:09pm

I run 7, 8 and 9 speed bikes and foresee no problems ahead for decades if ever.

Dawes have just introduced a good quality 8 speed bike, the Clubman.

I find 7 and 8 speed parts quite cheap and of good quality. My 7 speed bike currently uses a Chinese cassette I bought on eBay for about £5. It is perfectly OK.

cycloret

Postby cycloret » 5 Jun 2011, 1:01am

It seems like the most recent versions of Shimano's 10 speed systems were designed to shut out other manufactures like SRAM. Similar I find to Panasonic designing their cameras to only accept their own make of batteries.

One of my bikes has the first incarnation of Shimano's 10 speed STI levers working with a Mars cassette from SJS cycles. On the other hand I've a 7 speed Cannondale that's still got a lot of life left in it.

However, as 9 speed becomes obsolete Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 versions will stop being manufactured. Some on-line bike shops will respond too by selling off this obsolete equipment because they know customers will only want the latest. Fortunately there are bike shops like SJS and Spa who still cater for owners of 9, 8 and 7 speed bikes etc. For example, there are 9 and 10 speed triple chainsets out there but they aren't universally available. I've now started to stockpile a few spares which I think will become unobtainable in the future just so I can keep my bikes going.

Malaconotus

Postby Malaconotus » 5 Jun 2011, 1:07am

I've just bought a seven speed bike second hand. I look forward to having to replace cassette and chain at considerably less cost than the recent nine-speed replacements for my main bike. At work, we have a cupboard-full of seven speed cassettes and chains which aren't going to sell out any time soon.

If I bought a new tourer today, I'd go 3x8.

Mick F
Spambuster

Postby Mick F » 5 Jun 2011, 11:40am

mr riff raff wrote:Get the 10. If it's a completely new bike for you why start off out of date?
Unless it's Campag, in which case, 10 speed's days are numbered as well.
I went to Campag 10sp a few years back. Excellent system and better than the 9sp too.

If and when I need new stuff, I'll be going to 11sp. My 10sp Ergos can be sold easily, just like I sold my 9sp stuff and it will help to fund the upgrade.

I agree with Mr Riff Raff, don't buy new obsolescent equipment for a new bike no matter how long you think 9sp may be around for.
Mick F. Cornwall

hubgearfreak

Postby hubgearfreak » 5 Jun 2011, 12:15pm

uphillbothways wrote:6-speed Shimano kit is still in production, albeit as the very low-end Tourney. Sturmey-Sunrace are still making 5-speed freewheels. You can still buy cottered cranks for goodness sake. I honestly can't think of a situation in which a bicycle would have to be upgraded because of parts going out of production. Can anyone else?

the one sensible answer on the whole thread. well done :lol:

as for the last bit, i think you'd struggle to find rims or decent tyres for a ertro 597 equipped bike. but that's not been current for decades and is a very, very obscure example.