sti/ergo or bar-end?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
glenn

sti/ergo or bar-end?

Post by glenn »

I'm aware of the main arguments for and against sti/ergo and bar-end shifters, but does anyone have any actual experience that has put them squarely in one camp? Particularly, although the friction option of bar-end shifters looks good on paper, has anyone really truly been saved by having this option? Has anyone with sti style been truly left up the creek because of the lack of friction option?
CJ

Re:sti/ergo or bar-end?

Post by CJ »

Yup, I had a member just a few weeks ago asking where he could get old down-tube friction levers, after an STI problem left him up the creek without a paddle - on tour in Sicily.
Nog7000

Post by Nog7000 »

I've had two Dawes Super Galaxy bikes, one fitted with sti and the other bar end shifters. Never ever had any problems with the bar enders which I had for about 7 years. When I renewed by bike I went for the STi, just over a year later I had to have a complete replacement £129 approx. as the chainwheel changer broke, cannot buy a single replacement! Now if you ask which one do I prefer its the STi.
Pedalling Pete

Post by Pedalling Pete »

Used bar-ends for decades, now all STI. Yes, STI prone to frayed cables breaking and nipple falling into depths of STI lever. Must remember to replace cable before major tours and events. STI cables last much longer than bar-end cables anyway, as less curvature at lever end. But wouldn't be without convenience of double shift capability of STIs, allowing front and rear changes together; And the braking and down-change simultaneously in traffic. If I was away from civilisation, then maybe the old downtube lever would be best, so a custom frame could be specified with brazing to accommodate both lever or cable stop fitting. NB Lance Armstrong saves weight on his climbing bike by downtube lever for front mech, instead of STI.
glenn

Post by glenn »

Thanks for the replies. I'd been hoping for a torrent of vivid accounts of disaster that would make up my mind once and for all in favour of bard-ends, but perhaps the real risk of disaster is minimal. Whatever the risk though, I'm going for the bar-ends anyway (having never used STIs, I don't know what I'm missing).