Any Optimus Nova owners on here?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
johnb

Re: Any Optimus Nova owners on here?

Post by johnb »

Yeah looks to be the same alright, could well be the parrafin.

Might be worthwhile dropping Optimus an email and asking about the parrafin possibly delaying the stove turning off.
http://www.optimusstoves.com/seen/service/kontakt000/
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
Marco Panettone

Post by Marco Panettone »

Thanks. I'd just opened that exact page a moment ago as it happens. Let's see what they say....
My round the world ride: I Were Right About That Saddle Though
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

Marco the pump you are showing is the newer type. I have used Paraffin also Diesel, while these fuels do take longer to burn down than others. It is no where near the time you quote.
When turning my stove off I always turn the bottle so that the pump is at the bottom at some point.
Have a look around the top of the pump unit and the fill tubes for anywhere that fuel can leak into the fill tube.
Also try turning the thing around in different positions to get the tube to clear quicker.
If all else fails try this. Fill the fuel bottle just under half then full pump it up. Then turn the bottle so that the pump is at the top and light the stove. Turn the bottle the wrong way up and time that result.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
Marco Panettone

Edwards wrote:Have a look around the top of the pump unit and the fill tubes for anywhere that fuel can leak into the fill tube.

Thanks, that's good advice. I can't find any leaks though.

I'm wondering if I need more pressure in the system to force the fuel through quicker. Hmmm....
johnb

Post by johnb »

Dont think so Marco, I would be of the opinion that the stove would be used under pressure and when cooking is complete or almost the pressure would be lower than when you started thus making it easier for the pump to drain, I could be wrong.
The lead Greyhound never has to look at another Greyhounds derrière.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

johnb wrote:
It actually does work while the bottle is at the full marked capacity, that's the way my bottle was last night when I timed it for Marco.

Glad to hear it works when full, I was having a few doubts !

See attached picture. I suppose the feeder pipe should be pointing upwards when looking at the OFF position on the valve. Mine took a bit of twisting to make sure it pointed upwards.

Have only used this so far to test that the stove works and have not had it long, so not that experienced with it. I have run kerosene in it, which seems to run fine.

[url]Image[/url]
Marco Panettone

I've had some progress this evening but I'm even more confused now than when it just wouldn't go out. :?

By removing the brass tip and fuel filter from the end of the pick-up pipe, it works exactly as expected and goes out in about 30-40 seconds after flipping the bottle and another 30 seconds for the air to stop hissing out. Great I thought.

However.... when I put these back to try again, the stove remained on until I lifted the top of the bottle so it was angled at about 45 degrees upwards ('off' facing up) then went off almost immediately and the air stopped hissing after about 10 seconds. The fuel is only about half full by now so the whole of the pick-up pipe would have been out of the paraffin, as would the top of the pump assembly.

This kind of points to a tiny leak around the top of the pipe where it joins the lid and the paraffin / air is taking the path of least resistance depending on whether the fuel filter is fitted or not. Does anyone think this is plausible?

I'll see what Optimus have to say.
Marco Panettone

Mattie wrote:
johnb wrote:
It actually does work while the bottle is at the full marked capacity, that's the way my bottle was last night when I timed it for Marco.

Glad to hear it works when full, I was having a few doubts !

See attached picture. I suppose the feeder pipe should be pointing upwards when looking at the OFF position on the valve. Mine took a bit of twisting to make sure it pointed upwards.

Have only used this so far to test that the stove works and have not had it long, so not that experienced with it. I have run kerosene in it, which seems to run fine.

[url]Image[/url]

I'd put more of a bend on that pipe if I were you Mattie so that the tip of the pipe is touching the side of the bottle or it won't pick up any fuel when the level gets low and there won't be much of an air gap to shut it down when it's nearly full. Take a look at mine & johnb's pictures earlier to see what I mean.