Easyjet - max weight of bike box

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Reigncloud

Easyjet - max weight of bike box

Post by Reigncloud »

Have searched the forums but I couldn't see a clear answer for this. Does anyone know the maximum weight of a bicycle checked in as sports equipment on Easyjet? Their website doesn't say anything except that the maximum weight of any single piece of baggage is 32kg and that the overall limit per passenger is 50kg. So do I take form this that the maximum weight for a bike is 32kg?
horizon

Re: Easyjet - max weight of bike box

Post by horizon »

I've just used easyJet. AFAIK there is no maximum weight for a bicycle apart from the 32kg limit. However you are specifically prohibited from attaching anything else to it. Having said that, my bike was well wrapped up and I could easily have attached say tools or tent poles but given the 20kg hold allowance there seemed little point.

The interesting question arises as to what would happen if you combined the bicycle with your hold luggage or vice versa. The 20kg hold limit would in theory allow you to put a bike in with your panniers in a single package (as I said above, you aren't allowed to do it the other way round.)

Another variation is to travel light and use your cabin allowance (no weight limit) for your panniers (as one package). However you may run into problems with sharp objects rule.

Just as a matter of interest, why do you ask as most (all?) bikes fall well within this limit! The bike isn't weighed in.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

Sorry not sure I got that. Were you hypothetically asking if it would be possible to stick a (lightweight) bike and gear together as a single package and check it in as normal baggage as long as the entire package was less than 20kg? Their website does specifically say:

An additional non-refundable fee is charged per flight for the carriage of bicycles, golf equipment... [etc]

So it seems that if you have a bike in any form then you have to pay the additional sports equipment cost i.e. you can't count it as part of your 'normal' 20kg.

Back to the original question though, I'm still going with the assumption that my bike box can be up to 32kg unless anyone knows otherwise. I only ask so that I don't get hit with any unreasonable demands about weight when I get to the airport. My mountain bike might tip the scales a bit over 20kg all boxed up and I didn't want it rejected unecessarily.
horizon

Post by horizon »

Reigncloud: I was just reflecting on the idea of combining hold luggage with the bike because the weights add up nicely for some people: 12 kg bike, 8 kg hold luggage, 2 kg (or more) hand luggage. It would be a case of dismantling the bike and packaging it well but the inference as you say is that it isn't allowed.

Back to your original question, there is no weight limit as far as I know but as with everything to do with easyJet it isn't well defined - a bicycle is a bicycle. It isn't weighed in and the 32 kg presumably applies so most bikes are OK. Even our tandem comes in at about 24 kg so I don't know of any bike that would fall foul of the limit. What make is yours?
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
vjosullivan

Post by vjosullivan »

Reigncloud wrote:Have searched the forums but I couldn't see a clear answer for this...
...Their website doesn't say anything except that the maximum weight of any single piece of baggage is 32kg

In way way isn't it clear?
E25
horizon

Post by horizon »

Reigncloud has a point - it doesn't say if the 32kg applies to bikes! Easyjet is strict on packaging but there was no query about weight at either airport (I also ignored their missives over tyre pressures).
Reigncloud

Post by Reigncloud »

horizon wrote:I don't know of any bike that would fall foul of the limit. What make is yours?

It's a downhill mountain bike that I'm taking to the alps, so is pretty heavy.

Thanks for the repsonse though. Has put my mind at ease!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

When we've flown with Easy Jet,with the tandem,the weight limit has been 32kgs for the bike.The reason for the limit is so one man can handle the package ie; health and safety rules according to the staff I asked.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

AFAIK the weight limit is for the total weight, ie when we took bikes away last year they had to be inside a certain weight (can't remember what know ) but we checked the weight once they were in the boxes and we were within the limit.

Basically your bike and box combined weight have to be inside the allowance if that makes sense?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
rickwiggans

Post by rickwiggans »

It is all in the Carriers T&C's. The max weight of any item is 32kg (health & safety). Your hold luggage, assuming you have it, is 20kg. If you've paid for a bike, then your total hold allowance is 50kg. BUT - any excess weight, as long as it is down to the bike and it's box/bag is not chargeable. So you can in fact exceed 50kg total, but it HAS to be down to the bike. Hence the rule that you can't carry other stuff in the bike box - although I've never had that checked. However, I have often had the bike weighed. Assume they need to know total payload, and to check it doesn't exceed the 32kg H&S limit. would strongly suggest finding this info on their website, and carrying a printout. Not all check-in staff are au fait with the regs.
horizon

Post by horizon »

eileithyia wrote:AFAIK the weight limit is for the total weight, ie when we took bikes away last year they had to be inside a certain weight (can't remember what know ) but we checked the weight once they were in the boxes and we were within the limit.

Basically your bike and box combined weight have to be inside the allowance if that makes sense?

I agree with that, though I would still be surprised if the OP came anywhere near the 32 kg limit even with a substantial box - his original concern AFAICS was that there was some other lower limit.

rickwiggans: I didn't know about the weighing - I didn't see it happen. Does it happen at the heavy baggage scanner or beyond?
horizon

Post by horizon »

rick wiggans: my view is that the 50 kg total limit will take precedence over the 20 kg + 32 kg limits.

BTW, just for anyone thinking about taking a bike + panniers, it's a real nightmare of regulations. But once you have the hang of them, it's quite OK and the weight limits are hugely generous (I can't believe I said that) for cycle touring. With your bike + bag/box covered by the 32 kg limit, you have 20 kg in the hold (travelling light anyone?) and a further no weight limit rear pannier to take on as hand luggage. - yes, they do fit and that's potentially another 8 kg (but no sharps or liquids don't forget - they go in the hold!). Yes, you will have to pay for the bike and for the hold luggage but nothing extra. Two people on a tandem will presumably save themselves one bike charge and one hold luggage charge, at least. And finally don't forget that you will need to bag up your panniers and tent etc in the hold luggage (I used a large plastic laundry bag) to form, yes, one piece of luggage!
Last edited by horizon on 14 Jun 2011, 8:11pm, edited 1 time in total.
rickwiggans

Post by rickwiggans »

Horizon - no, the regs are quite clear in this respect. You can exceed the limit, as long as it is the bike and its box. This isn't my opinion - the regs are clear.

Re weighing - always at check-in. I've actually experienced ours being weighed at one desk, and those at the next desk not being weighed - so no consistency.
horizon

Post by horizon »

rickwiggans wrote:Horizon - no, the regs are quite clear in this respect. You can exceed the limit, as long as it is the bike and its box. This isn't my opinion - the regs are clear.

Re weighing - always at check-in. I've actually experienced ours being weighed at one desk, and those at the next desk not being weighed - so no consistency.

Fine - I'll go with you on this one. Mine wasn't weighed at all - certainly not at check-in.
rickwiggans

Post by rickwiggans »

This is part of the problem - no consistency. No wonder it's confusing!